Thoughts about paying for car wash?

ARC

Established Member
I have a 2014 Mustang GT Premium I bought last month. I was thinking about taking to a local place called The Wash Tub. It's a car wash place. For $380, you can have unlimited car washes for a year and they will even vacuum and clean the interior a bit, just not detail it for free. I was wondering what your guys' opinion would be.

ARC

Established Member
i just have mine washed at work

I don't have that service available, hah. I was just wondering what your thoughts are. Plus, my car's manual. I'm a bit worried about someone there stalling it/not knowing how to drive it. Plus, it goes through the "assembly line" type of car wash then they dry it by hand with a few people. Every time I've gone, I've enjoyed the end result. I haven't gone with my stang yet, but hand washing it takes me 2 hours at least and I can't seem to get the water spots off...

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I'd be worried about those car wash brushes scratching your car.

ARC

Established Member
I'd be worried about those car wash brushes scratching your car.

Well....I don't know. Is that really a problem? I mean, the location I'd be going to is near a wealthier part of town. I don't see how they would have something like that going on where people bring nice cars there.

"me too, I would also be worried about the harsh chemicals they use. I would just wash it myself or take it to a reputable detail shop. "

The place is a car wash/auto detail center..

hoamskilet

Established Member
Personally I wouldn't let anyone else let alone one of those car wash places touch my new mustang

ARC

Established Member
Personally I wouldn't let anyone else let alone one of those car wash places touch my new mustang

I know exactly what you mean. I'll be posting pictures of my car soon. It's getting its stripe on Wednesday. They were like "we may have to more the car to another location." LOL!! Yah, right. Like I'm letting you driving it 10 miles LOL

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Personally it doesnt sound like something i would do. If you ever lower the car you probably will never be able to get it through the car wash without damaging something. I also wouldnt want all the microscratches that come from brushes. Also the deal doesnt even seem that good, 380 bucks for year. So if you got your car washed every single day it would still be about 10 bucks a wash, which is a little pricey imo for a wash and vacuum. Ontop of all that having to worry about somebody else drive my stickshift, much less "moving it to another location". No thanks

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
Personally it doesnt sound like something i would do. If you ever lower the car you probably will never be able to get it through the car wash without damaging something. I also wouldnt want all the microscratches that come from brushes. Also the deal doesnt even seem that good, 380 bucks for year. So if you got your car washed every single day it would still be about 10 bucks a wash, which is a little pricey imo for a wash and vacuum. Ontop of all that having to worry about somebody else drive my stickshift, much less "moving it to another location". No thanks

It would be a dollar a wash

gaspasr

Established Member
I would pay 29.99/month for a similar service. However, this was for the wifey's suburban that is a pain to wash due to size and it's black. If you decide to try it out, be ready for the swirls caused by the brushes.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Absolutely not. Those car wash places re-use wash mitts from car to car and don't properly rinse them out, or even do the 2-bucket wash. You are guaranteed swirl marks within 3 months.

I do it myself, properly. Or, I'll take it to a detail shop that specializes in full detail jobs.

If it was a beater car that I didn't care much about, then sure.

Last edited:

ARC

Established Member

I like your reasoning as it's much like my reasoning.

Paying $380 for guaranteed swirl marks and scratches just doesn't sound like a very good deal to me :/

That would suck. I'd be pissed.

I would pay 29.99/month for a similar service. However, this was for the wifey's suburban that is a pain to wash due to size and it's black. If you decide to try it out, be ready for the swirls caused by the brushes.

My car is black too :(

I wouldnt do it even if it was free

haha

Absolutely not. Those car wash places re-use wash mitts from car to car and don't properly rinse them out, or even do the 2-bucket wash. You are guaranteed swirl marks within 3 months.

I do it myself, properly. Or, I'll take it to a detail shop that specializes in full detail jobs.

If it was a beater car that I didn't care much about, then sure.

Thanks for the input, see my response below.

No way man. If you truly love you car like it sounds you do, then there is no way that should happen.
Thanks for the input.

Hey, thanks guys. Today I went to a place that hand washes the car. They use mitts that they have in 4 separate buckets per car. They use chamois leather as well to dry it and a spray hose to wash it too. Someone does drive the car, but it's right in front of my field of vision as I wait and it's only moving it about 20 ft if that. I saw someone else bring his 5.0 and another person brought his Maserati.

I think the job they did was good. It was $18.00 and I left a $5.00 tip. For a yearly pass it's $480 (for exterior and interior) (no detailing such as wax). They take their time and at one point 7 people were working on the drying and "detailing" portion of the car wash. The manager sits there and tells where spots are to clean off.

Do you guys think I should do it? I read reviews of the place online and people were very pleased (much better ratings than the other place I was thinking of going to that isn't a hand wash place).

Thanks for your input, guys.

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
This is only good for lazy people or people who dont have time or people who arent physically able to wash it whenever they want.

A year ago an Illness I had prevented me from washing my own vehicles whenever I wanted. I found a carwash who washed with soft mitts and never used brushes or rags that would damage my paint more. I was happy paying $10 for a decent wash. Now that Im better and able to wash my own cars again, I wouldnt take it there unless it was a real emergency. Washing cars for me is a therapy lol

Users who are viewing this thread