Thoughts about joining

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
Hey guys thought I could tell you about my situation and see if any of you can help me out at all.
I've been having thoughts about joining the military ever since I was around 15 years old(19 yrs old now). My reasons vary from just wanting to serve my country to having self pride and self respect. I have never thought of joining for the benefits or the money or learning a skill I can use later on, but deep down it just feels like something I have to do.

For some reason since I was 17 I had thought about joining the Marines, in particular. Why the Marines? well because in my eyes they are the best trained group the armed forces has to offer, and because a sense of pride that comes from the Marines. There will be that brotherhood that lasts a lifetime and it would feel good to be one of the few and the proud.
My dilemma is this though, it seems as if i go through "phases" where im all for joining the military. I am prepared and willing to enlist and know that is what i want to do in my life and i have no doubts and this feeling can last for a few months. Then I start having doubts and start looking around at other choices I have and usually when I start school(community college) the thoughts about military go away, im guessing since i focus on something else. But that seed has been planted and I dont think it will go away(thought of joining Marines). I don't want to grow up and having any regrets about "What if.."
Thanks for taking time to read and perhaps give me some advice. sorry if this is hastly written i have to leave for work soon.
p.s (I have talked to recruiters before graduating high school but at that time I just wasnt ready mostly due to the fact i didnt tell my parents about it yet)

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
Well you're still plenty young enough to start a military career and still retire by a pretty good age.
My own suggestion when choosing a service or job is not to pay so much attention to the image of the service branch or job you're considering but what you imagine yourself doing when obligating yourself to that work for the next X number of years.
Different branches have different lifestyles and even that is dependent on the nature of the job you choose. Any job is employment and money in the bank to pay the bills but you need to put yourself in that position of performing the job and in comparison to what all the branches and jobs have to offer.
Every person who joins, joins for different reasons and roughly has various preferences for which type of lifestyle they would prefer. Not all of these branches live the same quality of life. I say this because I have been stationed with the Marines and Navy and I can tell you the certainly is a difference. I suggest making sure you look at everything before obligating yourself. What I'm also saying is don't be so quick to judge a book by it's cover because behind that cover might come a lot of BS along with it.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Join up, do your 4years and if you dont like it get out. If you like it then reenlist.

AF all the way though!

AlanSVT

Established Member
Hey guys thought I could tell you about my situation and see if any of you can help me out at all.
I've been having thoughts about joining the military ever since I was around 15 years old(19 yrs old now). My reasons vary from just wanting to serve my country to having self pride and self respect. I have never thought of joining for the benefits or the money or learning a skill I can use later on, but deep down it just feels like something I have to do.

For some reason since I was 17 I had thought about joining the Marines, in particular. Why the Marines? well because in my eyes they are the best trained group the armed forces has to offer, and because a sense of pride that comes from the Marines. There will be that brotherhood that lasts a lifetime and it would feel good to be one of the few and the proud.
My dilemma is this though, it seems as if i go through "phases" where im all for joining the military. I am prepared and willing to enlist and know that is what i want to do in my life and i have no doubts and this feeling can last for a few months. Then I start having doubts and start looking around at other choices I have and usually when I start school(community college) the thoughts about military go away, im guessing since i focus on something else. But that seed has been planted and I dont think it will go away(thought of joining Marines). I don't want to grow up and having any regrets about "What if.."
Thanks for taking time to read and perhaps give me some advice. sorry if this is hastly written i have to leave for work soon.
p.s (I have talked to recruiters before graduating high school but at that time I just wasnt ready mostly due to the fact i didnt tell my parents about it yet)

Well do it. It sure as hell can't hurt. It will only make you a better person. Well at least most people. As far as Marines being best trained thats your opinion. I really love the Army. I have been in for 7 years joined when I was 18. Lets see what I have now because of the military.

1. own a house
2. own a 2010 GT500.
3. Well not from the military but a great family and the military supports them.

Only thing I can say about Marines. as far as I know everyone is infantry and then you go through your MOS training? So remember that if in face that is true.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Only thing I can say about Marines. as far as I know everyone is infantry and then you go through your MOS training? So remember that if in face that is true.

Every Marine is a rifleman first and foremost.

Infantry goto basic, then onto School of Infantry(SOI).
Others goto basic, then onto Marine Combat Training(MCT), then onto their corresponding MOS course.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
ok, I'll bite. Having been in for a "few years"

*Disclaimer I am not a recruiter...lol And the military life is not for everyone, just like collage isnt for everyone**

I'd sign up for 4 years....in those 4 years you can learn a lot about yourself and contribute to the cause and find a brotherhood, no matter what branch you decide to join.

I'm going to just point out a few things that you may want to consider.

Each branch has thier Pro's and Cons, I'll outline a few...

And I DID consider joining the Marines and have a few Marine friends....

Marines are a VERY tight knit group when it comes to STANDARDS and TRADITIONS, Period! I can honestly say, I've not observed thier standards changed or slacked when it comes to thier initial training from the start of boot camp etc. And they "get more women" in their dress uniform:beer:

Marines also do shorter deployments in support of OIF and OEF, but look at the spots they are located. Busting thier A$$es.

Army promotes quicker depending on what job you pick, (not to say everyone who gets promoted deserves it)

Airforce I have always looked at being more or a techinal and very book smart in thier particular field of expertise, in part becasue they still have to actually study for tests to be considered for promotion. Written exams, etc etc

I'm not sure about the other branches, but, the Army does offer a substantial amount of bonus money (yet my pay raises could be more), for either first comming in, or re enlisting after you are done with your first four years. It is a very good possiblity to get a $20K sign up bonus just for joing up, completing basic and your first four years.....

And you can always do, time permitting, collage courses online, or at a local collage located near where you are stationed.

Open mind, and flexibility in the military is what will make you a success story.

What have I gotten in 17 years, free health care, life insurnace, a roof over my head, 3 meals a day, a house, paid off cars, and a lot of traveling and making new firends everywhere!!

But it comes at a cost, Im leaving soon for my fourth deployment, fifth if you count Bosnia in 95. But hey, I'll be stationed in Hawaii for 3 years....so go figure

Pro and Cons to everything, I would suggest going to see your local recruiters in town. See what they have to offer you, each one is different.

Based on what you asked though, pick a Combat Arms job, thats where its at!!!

Last edited:

03cobraracer

Established Member
i would definitley consider it man, whatever branch you choose is up to you, im personally going AF. i considered joining when i was 18(26 now) and i wish i had. i was a senior in highschool when september 11th happened and i dont live far from there so i saw it with my own eyes. that made me want to join so bad but for some reason i never did, and now i regret it bigtime. i became a auto mechanic instead and its a TERRIBLE career lol. im done with it and now im trying to get into shape and been meeting with my recruiter so i can start a real career doing something important. i regret everyday that i didnt do it sooner. not saying you will but its possible. just research it alot before you make any decisions thats all. im just glad i decided to do it now another year or 2 and it would be to late for me.

KingCobra1204

KingSVTCobra
Established Member
Whateva branch you choose make sure you do your research on the MOS's. Nothing like choosing a MOS and hated then dreading the fact that you even join the military at all. Do good on your ASVAB and review your options. Me I love my MOS. 15T Black Hawk/mechanic but currently in a flight company so I fix the new UH-60M and then fly in em. Love my job. Gonna do my 20 and retire. I am pretty bias about branches due to family history. I could never see myself going outside the ARMY. AF too easy, currently deployed and see how they are set up and I don't like the way they are babied and only do like 6 month tours etc.... I have mad respect for Marines b/c they do it all. Nothing against no branch at all. We all here to protect and serve for OUR COUNTRY so we all fighting for the same cause.

Ironhand

Banned
Well Im 3rd generation Army so u know where my vote goes. And Im currently deployed. It has provided alot for me and taken several things away all at the same time. It can be a huge plus for you but it may come at some loss as well. But I will say regardless of what job or branch you pick try to get something that will cross over into the civilian world just incase one day you do get out and your looking for a good paying job in your career field.

KingCobra1204

KingSVTCobra
Established Member
Well Im 3rd generation Army so u know where my vote goes. And Im currently deployed. It has provided alot for me and taken several things away all at the same time. It can be a huge plus for you but it may come at some loss as well. But I will say regardless of what job or branch you pick try to get something that will cross over into the civilian world just incase one day you do get out and your looking for a good paying job in your career field.

you are so right about the civilian stand point. Thats why I chose aviation due to the fact I would have no prob joining on the civilian side. I'm considering after retiring joing 1-2 yrs as being a civilian contractor for the army racking 100k+ then going back home to Elizabeth City, NC and work as a civilian contractor in the USCG. Use to work there b4 joining the army. Got tons of link for civilian contractor for the army due to working with Sikorsky representatives, etc.. so I got it set up pretty good once I'm out

Ironhand

Banned
you are so right about the civilian stand point. Thats why I chose aviation due to the fact I would have no prob joining on the civilian side. I'm considering after retiring joing 1-2 yrs as being a civilian contractor for the army racking 100k+ then going back home to Elizabeth City, NC and work as a civilian contractor in the USCG. Use to work there b4 joining the army. Got tons of link for civilian contractor for the army due to working with Sikorsky representatives, etc.. so I got it set up pretty good once I'm out

That sounds like you have it all setup already. lol

I was a dealership tech before the Army but not the good of one. So I figured hey why not be an Army tech. So thats what I went to school for was 91B (All wheel vehicle mechanic)and finished as an Honor Grad :dancenana:. So after this deployment Im gonna try the dealerships and see what I can find and hopefully end up making more money in the near future.

KingCobra1204

KingSVTCobra
Established Member
That sounds like you have it all setup already. lol

I was a dealership tech before the Army but not the good of one. So I figured hey why not be an Army tech. So thats what I went to school for was 91B (All wheel vehicle mechanic)and finished as an Honor Grad :dancenana:. So after this deployment Im gonna try the dealerships and see what I can find and hopefully end up making more money in the near future.

I don't have it all setup now but I have all the resources already. All the civilian contractors that you see deployed with the military be racking 80k-100k+. Even the fuelers, construction ppl, etc... Talked to a view guys out here and was very shocked. But yeah I got all my goals set up

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

Initially, I didnt concern myself with what I joined for that it would translate into a civilian job later. Background, I control and advise all indirect fire systems and close air support. Now u tell me where I can do that in the civilian sector? lol

It wasn't until my last deployment that i worked with Department of Homeland security side by side on a Port of Entry near Iran for 12 months. After that though, guess what, it was a foot in the door and 3 refreneces for me to get a job with Homeland Security Border Enforcement if I want after I get out in three years. Translation- you never know when "a break" is going to come your way

Also, my wife was in for 6 years, is out now, and is an advisor and instruction manual re writter for her particular field of expertise

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Do it man, you only live once. I was the same way for about 2 years, i was 50/50 on doing it, until i called my recruiter and said take me to MEPS. Once i was there i couldnt turn back, i knew its what i had to do and wanted. There are some options for short enlistments, you dont have to do 4 years, but you can always do your first term and gtfo if you dont like it. Its an experience man, and youll be a better man than most for doing so. Good luck. Oh, and dont buy into the Marine Corps brainwashing bs, we all do the same shit, they just put more effort into advertising lol

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm still not sure of which branch to choose but it will most likely be between Army or Marines. This is mostly due to the fact since I want to do a combat mos, Infantry. And im not just saying that because I am some idiot who thinks everything is like call of duty video games or b.s. I know how serious this is.
My only concern is my family. I talked to my mom about it and she is against it mostly but she really wants me to get my associates degree first before doing anything. My twin brother is dead set against me going because he thinks if i sign up its an instant death wish. I know i dont need my parents signatures or w/e to join up but it would be nice to have their support.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Dont let your family make the decision for you. Mine was mainly against it aside from one Uncle who served.

Once I made the commitment to join my parents backed me and the rest of my friends and family have been supportive ever since.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Oh, and dont buy into the Marine Corps brainwashing bs, we all do the same shit, they just put more effort into advertising lol

LOL +1.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm still not sure of which branch to choose but it will most likely be between Army or Marines. This is mostly due to the fact since I want to do a combat mos, Infantry. And im not just saying that because I am some idiot who thinks everything is like call of duty video games or b.s. I know how serious this is.
My only concern is my family. I talked to my mom about it and she is against it mostly but she really wants me to get my associates degree first before doing anything. My twin brother is dead set against me going because he thinks if i sign up its an instant death wish. I know i dont need my parents signatures or w/e to join up but it would be nice to have their support.

Well either way good luck. It sucks not having the support of your family. But its your life. Some times parents don't know how to be supportive. Your mom and brother may just be over reacting because they worry about your safety so much. I will also toss in my .02 and say Army all the way. Now obviously I'm biased because I'm in the Army but in my experience it seems to have more options than the Marines. Especially when we are talking about infantry. You could go be a normal ground pounding grunt, go to airborn school and be assigned to an airborn unit like the 82nd, go airborn then go to RIP and upon completion be assigned to Ranger Battallion. Then there is the 101st, 10th Mountain etc. Some really "high speed" units that carry alot of tradition and history. Either way though its a good experience and a good decision for a young man who is not exactly sure what you want to do with the rest of your life. You may find that you love the military and stay in for 20+ or give you enough experience to do something great and rewarding when you get out after 4 years.

Users who are viewing this thread