Those wondering about the 6 speed in a Mach

WHiTE03MACh

Camel Lover
Established Member
Hey guys... this is a follow up on the T56 going in my Mach.... I know OrangeMach was wondering how it went...

Some of you know Im not there and in Iraq while my buddies are installing all my stuff.... but I went with an 03 cobra T56.

I spoke to my buds the other day and they said it all went in great using the stock crossmember. I also found an 03 cobra driveshaft, and purchased the 03 cobra pinion flange. They are still waiting on the pinion flange from Parkway, but they said it all looks good, and went smoothly. I will be going with 3.90s having the Procharger.

Anyone else have any more done to their machs lately? Also, I wouldnt recommend a T56 03-04 cobra spec unless you are running a blower or lots of rear gear. Just my .02

Dave

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
First of all good luck in Iraq and hope you make it back safe and sound- thanks for your service.

I definitely want to hear more about how it drives after you get back. I miss having a 6 speed so much. I just put my Bassani X-pipe on and it's great. Next to the 4.10's I'd say that's the next best mod. But, I'm going with either a KB or TT's when I get the cash together and I'll probably go back to either 3.55's or even 3.31's. Running that much boost (I'd like to be at 18+, obviously not on a stock block) with such a low gear would make the first 2 gears worthless IMHO. If I was running this car strictly on the track it would be a different story and I probably would go with a Hi-performance AT tranny instead. I'd still like to hear what you think after you drive it around a little. Good luck over there bro.

WHiTE03MACh

Camel Lover
Established Member
Thanks a lot for the kind words bro. Yeah I loved the sound of the bassani X.... As long as she makes it off the dyno ill let ya know how it comes out. AH its like torture not knowing when I get to go home... could be June, could be July... I hear ya on the gears... Ill prob drop back down again when i get some boost behind this bad boy. Well thanks again Ill post pics and vids when I get home!

brewcity_mach1

Established Member
my mach is all in pieces right now.. just waiting to get word back from a couple shops around here. forging the bottom end... i have a t56 waiting to be put in when the engine work is all done... once that progresses ill let you know

BrookhavenTuner

Established Member
Ok so its seems like I need a t-56(CobraR geared), CobraR tranny brace(or 03 cobra), Cobra flywheel and clutch, and driveshaft?

does the driveshaft still work for a sold rearor is that different? My goal is only about 320-330whp, would the 6spd hurt me in the long run?

(sorry for the seeming hi-jack)

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I personally don't like the tall first gear in my cobra. It makes these 4.30's feel like 3.73's.

But, that 6th gear and the strength and durability of the T56 makes up for any gearing woes.

I highly recommend it.

As far as driveshafts, they're all different lengths, I think it's a matter of using the one that fits the best.

WHiTE03MACh

Camel Lover
Established Member
My car isnt quite done yet... they just got the companion flange in yesterday.... but I went with an 03 cobra stock driveshaft with an 03 cobra IRS companion flange. When swapping a solid rear into a cobra this is what you need to make the driveshaft fit without a spacer and all that crap. Oh and I also opted for the Liberty 26 spline input upgrade. And yeah, stock T56 cobra crossmember is a direct bolt-in.

04torchred

Established Member
Thanks for the info about the T56. My little brother is going to be doing a 2000 Cobra R T56, 03-04 Cobra DS, 03-04 Cobra trans cross member, and 03-04 pinion flange here very shortly. It is good to hear it all fits well. He would like to get a D1S-C later on, but the tranny will kill his budget for most of this summer.

Take care over there!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I have an '03-04 cobra crossmember, and also several '03-04 pinion flanges for sale if anyone needs them.

$25 on the crossmember, and $20 each on the flanges. Add $5 for shipping.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
You're gonna love the t-56. It was my favorite mod on my 97 cobra with 4.30 gears. Good luck over there and thanks for your service.

WHiTE03MACh

Camel Lover
Established Member
My buddies tell me it shifts like a dream... soo damn smooth. Im coming home next weekend! Cant wait to drive it! Shes on the dyno back home as Im typing...

Users who are viewing this thread