Those with tunes...dealer visit coming up

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
First of all, this isn't a "will they warranty my car" thread...That said, for everyone running a custom (non-stock) tune that's been to a Ford dealer, how do you ensure/know that the dealer won't mess with your tune? Can they plug into the OBD and remove it that easily or do something stupid and erase it?

I am going in for that famous front end popping noise and I know that has nothing to do with the car's ECU, but I want to make absolutely sure they don't F with anything computer-related.

I don't think these guys are too mod friendly just by my gut feeling so I don't want to tell them I have a tune (even though my SCT is 100x better than the stock pig rich pos tune)...thanks for your help.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I would say put tape over where you plug in your hand held. That way if they take it off you know they messed with tune. Or think of a way to rig it so you can tell if they messed with ECU.

If worried about it. Once work it done. Reload your tune into car. Just to be safe.

I highly doubt they are gonna mess with the ECU tho.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
They could always reset the ECU back to the factory setting but I can't see why they would even bother.

I guess you could always take your SCT with you and before driving off plug it in and see what tune is on there. If need be just reload your tune and be on your way.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
what kinda front end popping noise? not familiar

Like a dull thud, popping, muted metal to metal sound that comes from the front when in reverse and especially on an incline...it's been diagnosed as everything from bad steering rack bushings, steering rack sleeves, bad ball joints, bad control arm bushings, bad struts, etc, etc...but those on this board that have it have NOT been able to diagnose it 100%, myself included. It's like the fu*king holy grail of Terminator suspension - we all have theories but nobody can prove what it actually is.

To those that responded, thank you...ideally I'd like to tell them not to touch the ECU but I don't want a hard time from them. Do you really think I should bring the handheld with me and double check that the tune is still on there?

Last edited:

03SVTKB

Established Member
I would agree and say to rig something to ensure that will tell you if the dealer messes with wherever you plug your tuner in. I personally would go far enough and mention that if all possible to not mess with ECU, in the most polite and kind manner.

I would suggest that with the popping your experiencing it would be your steering rack bushings. I suffer from about the same symptoms you are and i am planning on replacing the steering rack bushings with aluminum ones.
Just my .02

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
The front end noise is strange because it's only happening on the passenger side...you know I might just have this looked at (and bushings replaced) at my tuner, who has an excellent mechanic. I KNOW he won't mess with the ECU cause he did the tune. Besides, Ford's gonna have one look at my stance and not cover any suspension work, even though this annoying ****ing popping was present before I had the H&R's on. Only thing is that my tuner is 45 mins away, the dealer is 10 mins away.

Users who are viewing this thread