Those with cats...question

CobraTone

Established Member
Have any of you with cats had any success with products supposedly keeping your cat away from furniture or keeping them from scratching it? I just bought sofas for 1300 bucks, a microfiber suede like material that will probably scratch easily. I initially figured i would just get her declawed, but have since decided against it. Any suggestions?

GO HOKIES!

Established Member
CobraTone said:
Have any of you with cats had any success with products supposedly keeping your cat away from furniture or keeping them from scratching it? I just bought sofas for 1300 bucks, a microfiber suede like material that will probably scratch easily. I initially figured i would just get her declawed, but have since decided against it. Any suggestions?

My g/f has a cat and she keeps the cats nails trimmed. If I were you, i would get them declawed. Supposely, the cats aren't in pain. They might act a little weird the first week or so but it doesn't ruin a cats personality.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
CobraTone said:

I can't really help you but keep on telling the cat to stop getting on top...the cat will eventually learn....but don't even think about declawing it...big no no

Booby

Wad Up Wad Up My Nukkas
Established Member
YO dude i got 2 of them and do not declaw because thats just cruel so what i did was i bought this scratch pad its called SmartyKat Super Scratcher + What you do is it comes with CATNIP and they go crazy for that and you pure sum on the Scratch pad and rub it in the creases in the holes and they know to scratch on that and not your furniture. And you can buy it from Pets Mart or PetCo so do that

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Ok, here's the deal. My parents have both of our cats declawed. One has all four paws declawed, the other has the front 2 paws declawed. Only get the front two paws declawed if you do any declawing. This will leave them with some form of protection if they manage to get outside.

Secondly, no product will keep them from scratching your new sofas 100% of the time. I do not know what it's called, but cats do a form of stretching with their paws and their claws actually come out. During this, whatever these paws are touching will get scratched. I'm sure your cat does this, as almost all that I have seen do this.

You can try Booby's suggestion of the products he mentioned, but I guarantee you that it will not work 100% of the time. The cat will sleep on the sofas, regardless of if you yell at it or not. As soon as you leave your house, you can bet he/she will be right back up there sleeping on them. Hell, my parents cat's still jump on the kitchen counters even after being scolded and squirted with water for 8 years.

I do think declawing is somewhat cruel, but in the case of a domestic cat that will be indoors all of its' life, take the front claws out. They will be sore for about a week at the most and it doesn't do any psychological damage that spaying/neutering does. Just my opinion.

FSSNK

Established Member
Declawing was one of the best things Ive done. She was a kitten though when declawed and I feel that she still thinks that she has her front claws because she will scratch on everything.My cat is strictly an inside kitty.

Booby

Wad Up Wad Up My Nukkas
Established Member
DONT DECLAW OMG thats the most cruelest thing to do DO WHAT I TOLD You just go to PETCO and buy the SUPERSCRATCHER and PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED with out paying for declawin and their probabaly too old anyways you cant delcaw then if their older than 6 weeks SO JUST DO WAT i told you and PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED buy it for 10 bucks and your good SERIOUSLY no joke dont declaw thats horrible

Friendchicken

CobraTone said:

That is a nice $1300 scratch post :D

btw.. don't declaw.

ILLNINO5.O

Established Member
Some @sshole threw a baby kitten inside a dumpster where I work this past Thursday :mj: and after getting him out, we tried to give him away to customers. Since no one wanted him, my boss took it home with her (she lives on a farm) and she's been keeping the kitten inside until it's healthy enough to go outside. Anyway, she says the best thing for stopping them from jumping on furniture is spraying it with a squirt bottle, (notice I said "squirt bottle", not semi-auto assualt 10 gallon water cannon :thumbsup: ).

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt94GT

Established Member
Just yell at it good and dont give it pettings right after. most people try to disaplin them but 5 minutes later they pick them up and give them a stroke which just confuses the poor buggers.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Never declaw!!! How would you like someone to come along and pull out your finger nails :poke: Someone posted a video on another forum awhile back and its one of the FU$Ked up things I have ever seen!! :(

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Double sided tape, like the kind used for putting down carpeting or rugs. Put it on the corners of the couch, where the cat is most likely to claw at. Cat's can't stand anything sticky on their paws...

CobraTone

Established Member
Don't worry guys, i already ruled out declawing her. it was a thought at first, but then i decided it was a bad idea. There are some good ideas here and i'll definitely give them a shot, i like the tape idea, i saw some of that in petsmart and may give that a shot. thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated.

Matt94GT

Established Member
speaking of cats have you ever put anything on their backs or around their stomache? its so funny haha damn. get a tensor bandage and wrap it around his belly and tie it at his/her back not tight, they wont walk they will walk a foot and fall over then do the same. you can even put a pair of sunglasses on the back of a cat will pretty much to the same thing make it so the ear pieces wrap around to the stomache. your going to thing im some retard but its pretty funny to watch.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I had my two cats declawed. We did this 5 years after they had them. At first they were pretty pissed about it.

Now they couldn't be happier. They can run around and "scratch" whatever they want without someone screaming at them to stop or get off, or worse yet, get caught in the carpet and have them ripped. I think they also like not having to maintain them.

Sapperstang

Established Member
My cats generally don't bother the furniture. We get them those cardboard scratch box thingies. Not sure what they are called though.

BlkLightning01

Established Member
They sell claw caps.....they are little rubber like caps that go over the cats claws.....plus I think they sell some type of spray that makes them not want to go near the furniture to scratch it......

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Just get 'em yanked out and you won't have to worry about them scratching at all.

I don't know what that comment about not being able to de-claw a cat after it is 6 weeks old is all about, but it simply isn't true.

Either that or like someone else said, you can take clippers and trim the point off the claws and it should at least prevent them from ripping the fabric.

Users who are viewing this thread