Those with Black Cars...

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I find microfiber pads work best when using polish and machine , better cutting properties compared to foam pads. Yes they get clogged faster so it's best to have several handy when polishing. I love my Flex machine, works like a charm!

Zemedici

Established Member
So after much research and input from everyone, i am about to pull the trigger on this...porter cable 7424 xp ut still confused on which color pads I should get..will come with 2 red ones for free..the products i will be using are zanio Z-AIO (All in One STEP CLEANER, POLISH & PROTECTANT) Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches, Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray

Look on chemical guys. They sell a kit with the porter cable, comes with a bunch of pads.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Yea I hoping to avoid using a machine, since my car is not to terrible i think with good elbow grease should get most out

But you won't. Don't get these polishers confused with body shop buffers that can burn the paint. These CANNOT. I have set mine on my mystichrome and let it spin to show people you can't burn through the finish. Elbow grease is admirable but it won't get the job done.

Get the Pinnacle Twins kit, it will have everything you need except for sealant and wax. Check out my sticky at the top of the forum. There is a link to everything you need.

Nearly missed your MF towel buy, if you got those with the Nu Finish, do not use those on your paint. Cheap MF towels will add swirls. Get some quality towels and MF detergent. Again check my sticky for examples and links to exactly what you need.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
Nearly missed your MF towel buy, if you got those with the Nu Finish, do not use those on your paint. Cheap MF towels will add swirls. Get some quality towels and MF detergent. Again check my sticky for examples and links to exactly what you need.

THIS!! It's amazing the difference a good microfiber makes. At work we get them in bulk from autozone and places. I get all mine from chemical guys. the difference when using the same products is night and day in the different towels. It really sucks getting into detailing. because you keep finding things you want to try and need more of. Then you get a machine and need a bunch of different pads/pad cleaner. Tons of microfibers and detergent for that. etc etc.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Do a full paint correction. No need to hide the swirls when you can get rid of them.
Remove the swirls rather than cover them up. If they're light a polish should remove them.
Polishing should remove the swirls if done correctly. Adams sells some good stuff for this that is easy to use and pretty fool proof. Nothing crazy or abrasive so you don't have to be too scared using it, but still be careful of course.
correcting without a machine sucks. Especially if you have a black car, do yourself a favor and at least spend the 70 bucks for a harbor freight random orbit buffer. It makes a world of difference when it comes time to remove defects, and with the right pad, you can apply wax faster, thinner, and more evenly spread out as well. Throw that California Duster in the garbage.
Throw that shammy in the garbage as well. I tend to blow the water out of the crevices and most of the water off the car with my metro vac n blow (leafblower or compressed air works too) and then finish by wiping it down with a nice microfiber and some quick detailer...
+1 to ALL of this.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Well I purchased the porter cable 4 pad kit for 153 with a %15 coupon and free shipping..hope I got the right pads, 2 orange 2 white and comes with 2 red for free..can not wait to use this with zaino products

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Can anyone give input on the zaino products? Do I use the polisher for both the all in one and the polish? And what colored pads for either one? Also there car wash I have does it remove the old waxs I have on car now?

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Read my sticky at the top of this forum, it answers just about all your questions. Use Dawn to strip old wax but not for a normal car wash after waxing. Clay bar first if the finish needs it.

EB85

Established Member
I have been told that owning a black car is a sickness, but I love it! LOL. Have fun.

It is the hardest to keep clean but also the absolute best looking when it's done right. Nothing else can be clean, classy and downright mean at the same time than an all black car.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
So I received my porter cable combo the other day and must say it is a very nice polisher for the money...but I regret jumping the gun on purchasing the zaino products to try and correct my fine scratches...do not get me wrong the products produce a nice shine on black, but for cutting purposes it did nothing for me..so I ordered the twin pinnacle package, advanced swirl remover and polish..going to give those a try with which hopes to be a better outcome

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
So I received my porter cable combo the other day and must say it is a very nice polisher for the money...but I regret jumping the gun on purchasing the zaino products to try and correct my fine scratches...do not get me wrong the products produce a nice shine on black, but for cutting purposes it did nothing for me..so I ordered the twin pinnacle package, advanced swirl remover and polish..going to give those a try with which hopes to be a better outcome

Pics or it didn't happen :)

Awesome! Thank you! And from a UK fan no less! :beer:

Hell yes! Friend request sent!

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Lot's of good advice from guys that know their stuff in this thread - I'll just add to be careful of over using quick detailers. I think people use them when their car is way too dirty and just grind the dirt into their paint and cause swirls. For a quick wipe down, your better off using a light weight, but quality, damp microfiber along with Ultima waterless wash and go in a straight line, one direction, no back and forth and no circles, and keep turning the towel so you never drag a dirty side over the paint.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Lot's of good advice from guys that know their stuff in this thread - I'll just add to be careful of over using quick detailers. I think people use them when their car is way too dirty and just grind the dirt into their paint and cause swirls. For a quick wipe down, your better off using a light weight, but quality, damp microfiber along with Ultima waterless wash and go in a straight line, one direction, no back and forth and no circles, and keep turning the towel so you never drag a dirty side over the paint.

I was walking by a black car last week and just looked at it and it swirled. Damn black mf'ing cars, they are the spawn of Satan.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I was walking by a black car last week and just looked at it and it swirled. Damn black mf'ing cars, they are the spawn of Satan.

You going to come over to Somerset in August? I know it's a haul for you, but it's a great show if you've never been. I think they said 800-900 stangs last year. It's two hours for me, but it's worth it.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
You going to come over to Somerset in August? I know it's a haul for you, but it's a great show if you've never been. I think they said 800-900 stangs last year. It's two hours for me, but it's worth it.

My club went last year but I pussed out. I really do need to go but it's like right before NMRA and that's where my $$ goes. I may try this year though.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
After using the pinnacle products I must say what a good job they did removing the light scratches I had...very happy with the outcome, and will post pictures as soon as I can..also like cool cobra mentioned, go with a very good micro fiber like pakshak or golds jrs from autogeek

Users who are viewing this thread