Those with a Vortech setup, Power pipe and aftermarket radiator. Have ?

overkill91

I eat rice
Established Member
What radiator will fit? I have a 97 Cobra with a Vortech S-Trim, AM Power pipe and am thinking about getting a aftermarket radiator. The power pipe already doesnt really fit very well though. Anyone have a similar setup as mine with a bigger radiator?

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
b dub said:
wheres snakeye?
Here I am! You know, I do have a life away from this forum. Hee hee.
I put in a Steeda 2-core.
Had to modify two things:
1) where the air intake duct to the Vortech passes behind the radiator I had to trim a sliver of the fan shroud away, about 1/4" deep by 2" long. Put the radiator and fan in, and then size up the cut area by trying to install the intake duct. I used a hand-held (with gloves) hacksaw blade to scarf the sliver out then sanded the edge to doll it up.
2) the radiator expansion tank support rod had to be rebent to clear the back of the fan. You'll probably have removed it to do the readiator swap. As I recall there is an offset already in the rod but it's too high up. Straighten out the existing bend and but another offset bend in the rod closer to its bottom end so the the bend is somewhere below the level of the fan motor.

overkill91

I eat rice
Established Member
SNAKEYE said:
Here I am! You know, I do have a life away from this forum. Hee hee.
I put in a Steeda 2-core.
Had to modify two things:
1) where the air intake duct to the Vortech passes behind the radiator I had to trim a sliver of the fan shroud away, about 1/4" deep by 2" long. Put the radiator and fan in, and then size up the cut area by trying to install the intake duct. I used a hand-held (with gloves) hacksaw blade to scarf the sliver out then sanded the edge to doll it up.
2) the radiator expansion tank support rod had to be rebent to clear the back of the fan. You'll probably have removed it to do the readiator swap. As I recall there is an offset already in the rod but it's too high up. Straighten out the existing bend and but another offset bend in the rod closer to its bottom end so the the bend is somewhere below the level of the fan motor.

Hey, thanks for posting :coolman: So do you have a power pipe on your car? Do you have any pictures of the install. I just want to make sure that i will be able to make things fit if i buy another radiator. They are not cheap as you know!

Thanks,

Chris

SNAKEYE

Established Member
overkill91 said:
Hey, thanks for posting :coolman: So do you have a power pipe on your car? Do you have any pictures of the install. I just want to make sure that i will be able to make things fit if i buy another radiator. They are not cheap as you know!

Thanks,

Chris

Power pipe? What's that? Guess I don't have one.
I have a bunch of pictures of the install, but not one of the finished install.
Here's one of the area of the fan shroud that needed the sliver cut out of. I didn't take a shot after the cut. That's the Vortech impeller top-right, the tube to the fender is at the left edge of the picture, and a section of the new rad at the bottom.

1zg40nn.jpg

Last edited:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
overkill91 said:
"Power Pipe" is a product made by Anderson Motorsports.
http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/
Take a look at page 3 of their catalog,
Or, i have a few pictures on my website of my car.

http://members.cox.net/cnapierala/Cobra SC Installed.htm

Chris

Anderson's 'CATALOG 2006' link wouldn't open for me.

I take it from your SC Installed pix that the power pipe is that aluminum-looking tube between the fender and the elbow going into the Vortech.

From your pix your elbow seems to not be the stock plastic Vortech elbow (part of the Power Pipe?). Again from your pix, it looks to me that if the radiator projected rearward 3/4" (like a 2-core radiator would) the elbow would hit the radiator's top rear edge. Now, whether that could have a sliver cut out of it (it's just a turned-up edge of aluminum sheet) is too close a call to make from my point of view.

"overkill99" will just have to measure his existing clearance and subtract 3/4".

Last edited:

overkill91

I eat rice
Established Member
SNAKEYE said:
Anderson's 'CATALOG 2006' link wouldn't open for me.

I take it from your SC Installed pix that the power pipe is that aluminum-looking tube between the fender and the elbow going into the Vortech.

If so, a power pipe will clear a 2-core radiator. The elbow will not clear the fan shroud with a 2-core radiator. That's the area (just as the elbow completes the turn toward the fender) where the top edge of the fan shroud will have to have a sliver of plastic cut out.

You are correct. Its the tube between the fender and the SC.

Thanks for the info,

Chris

SNAKEYE

Established Member
overkill91 said:
You are correct. Its the tube between the fender and the SC.

Thanks for the info,

Chris
I was editing my post when you jumped back in with above. That elbow of yours appears to be larger, rotated a bit upward (possibly to clear the fan shroud?), and longer toward the front of the car than a stock Vortech elbow.
If the clearance to what looks to be a stock radiator is less than 3/4" 'overkill99' will have clearance issues to at least the up-turned rear edge of a 2-core radiator. It may be trimable to gain clearance as I did with my fan shroud to the stock elbow. It looks like it will be a VERY CLOSE CALL!

overkill91

I eat rice
Established Member
SNAKEYE said:
I was editing my post when you jumped back in with above. That elbow of yours appears to be larger, rotated a bit upward (possibly to clear the fan shroud?), and longer toward the front of the car than a stock Vortech elbow.
If the clearance to what looks to be a stock radiator is less than 3/4" 'overkill99' will have clearance issues to at least the up-turned rear edge of a 2-core radiator. It may be trimable to gain clearance as I did with my fan shroud to the stock elbow. It looks like it will be a VERY CLOSE CALL!
Lol! yea, its going to be close. Its already tighter than a.. Well, you know. Ill have to measure. So 3/4" is what it is with a 2 core? The Steda is a 2 core then?

SNAKEYE

Established Member
overkill91 said:
Lol! yea, its going to be close. Its already tighter than a.. Well, you know. Ill have to measure. So 3/4" is what it is with a 2 core? The Steda is a 2 core then?
Yes, roughly 2" thick(stock is about 1" thick). About 1/4" of that goes forward of the stock radiator's front (toward the A/C condensor) and 3/4" goes rearward toward the engine or anything else back there. The top of the radiator is a piece of aluminum channel with the legs turned upward (just like stock as I recall), so the the upturned leg of the channel will probably be the first thing to interfere. If you can assure yourself that cutting a sliver out of the channel leg (maybe 1/4-3/8" deep by 2" long) will provide enough clearance, I don't think the radiator will miss the chunk of aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread