Those with 315 nittos and 10.5 rims??

MUSTANGDB

Established Member
I was wondering who is running this setup without any spacers or modifications to the bolt?And if so,have you had any problems with it?

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
With Nittos Drag Radials and 10.5 inch wheels, theres usually no problems at all because they run skinnier. If you go with different tires that are normal 315s (BFGs, Yokohamas, Goodyear, etc) they will rub.

mackj66

Established Member
I have a 98, and I have no problems what so ever. There is a good amount of space between my tire and any pieces of the car.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
If you run Nitto 315s on AFS 17x10.5" wheels, you don't need wheel spacers on a '03-'04 Cobra. The inner sidewall of those tires will clear the IRS frame when the car is at normal ride height.

However, when the rear suspension is unloaded (like Bo & Luke jumping a creek in the General), the inner sidewalls will contact one/both of the IRS bolt heads. Even 285s on 10.5" AFS wheels will hit the bolt heads. Whether or not you want to deal with that is up to you.

Some people don't mess with the bolt heads and just assume they'll never unload the rear suspension enough for it to become a problem. I did this for awhile myself and never had any problems.

Others just shave a little bit off of the bolt heads so they don't have to worry about it. Just be aware that if you do unload the suspension enough while you're driving and your bolt heads are stock, the rear tires could be seriously damaged. I have since machined my bolt heads down so I can jump cars and creeks without worry. :-D

-Greg

Last edited:

drkchk03svt

Established Member
I have the AFS 18X10.5's and you dont need spacers. The fender well rubs a little with my 315's.

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
Originally posted by MUSTANGDB
I was wondering who is running this setup without any spacers or modifications to the bolt?And if so,have you had any problems with it?

No problems here with AFS 10.5's and Nitto 315 DR's and no spacers. I've been driving it this way for about 2000 miles and I was just under the car a couple of days ago to check things out and clearances are ok and no sign of any contact.

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
10.5s&315's

Ive been running this way for 2000 miles.I have jasons round head bolts because the standard bolts will hit with he suspension unloaded.To me that risk is unacceptable.Draw your own conclusions.
Guy

Users who are viewing this thread