Those who installed their own clutch>>>>>

White98SVT

Established Member
Well it's time for the Slobra to get a new clutch which has been sitting in my closet for about a year and a half. I've been contemplating doing this myself.

My financial position is that I could have it installed, but for the price I could get my own torque wrench and a new flywheel and still have a few hundred left over.

My question is, for those of you who have done it yourself, would you advise me to do it myself or have it done professionally???

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
i've been wondering about this myself...Horsepower TV did a clutch swap on project nightmare and they made it look ease.

Chris

White98SVT

Established Member
Shake&Bake said:
i've been wondering about this myself...Horsepower TV did a clutch swap on project nightmare and they made it look ease.

Chris

I Tivo'd that last weekend and it was about as easy as I thought it would be. I just know that some things are a pain in the ass. Plus I don't have a lift or a transmission stand.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Do it yourself. It's not hard.

I did mine on my back in my garage with the car on jackstands. I did have to have my Father help me wrestle the trans in and out... wasn't difficult by any means, just time consuming trying to get the spline to feed in correctly. It also helps to have a second set of hands when you're trying to get the starter off. I did mine in less than two days. Clutch shit the bed on Friday afternoon, had it apart Friday night, had it put back together and running Saturday night (thats with having to work all Saturday morning, then getting off and having the flywheel resurfaced and waiting for the UPS man to bring my overnighted clutch). I had never put a clutch in either.

Last edited:

pottsy

Established Member
I did a clutch install on a friend's 5.0 and given the right conditions (especially if I could find all my tools) I would be comfortable doing it on my own car.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
No problem here. You shouldn't be worried about doing it yourself from a knowledge stand point. I've paid to have it done and Ive done it myself. The only reason I have paid for it or will in the future is because it can be one pain in the ass. Wresting with that trans with little room to scwerm can kinda suck. It would be nice to have a lift. If u have never done it give it a shot it can be fun and there is always that satisfaction of doing it urself.

5.0 Mustang Man

Established Member
Its easy, 4 hours max, start to finish. Ive done it on all 3 of my own cars and several friends cars. No lift just jackstands and just bench press the tranny up there on your back!

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
are you giong to have a new flywheel or have your resurfaced? you need a clutch alignment tool and make sure the throw out bearing goes on exactly how the old one was on there. you will also need a pilot bearing puller to get that pilot bearing out.

Blown95Cobra

Wheres my torque?
Established Member
ive done the clutch in my cobra, 2 clutches in my gt and 2 tranny swaps in my gt. its not bad if you have all of the tools and someone to help with the tranny. i used a jack to lower and raise the tranny

CY98Cobra

Established Member
clutches are easy. i have a lift and havent done it on my back but i dont imagine it would be very hard that way either.

c9obr6a

Established Member
Do it your self's 3-6 hours heres some hint's
discconect battery , remove shifter, Remove drive shaft 12mm 12 point, Drop H pipe (take off o2 sensor harness 4), remove starter, Take off all trans bolts, but the top 2 and leave 1 in the bottom loose so the trans wont separate.remove shifter linkage, remove trans cross member and tilt motor/ trans back to access the last 2 bolts. There is some wires to unsnap and spedo to unhook (I also take this out for saftey 3 hours of Corona and its easy to break off when lowering down. then lower it down measure your bellhousing and make sure you can slide the trans out ( I slip mine out at the wheelwell) . Drain the trans fluid first or buy a trans plug or you will have a oily mess. And also paint mark your drive shaft flange @ rearend to reinstall in the same spot. Always use 6 point sockets also and regrease every thing you put back! I could help you on your throw out bearing but it only goes in 1 way. might of missed something but tilting your trans back helps a ton and no matter what you think the trans WILL NOT FIT THREW THE H PIPE.

tickingcobra

Banned
c9obr6a said:
Do it your self's 3-6 hours heres some hint's
discconect battery , remove shifter, Remove drive shaft 12mm 12 point, Drop H pipe (take off o2 sensor harness 4), remove starter, Take off all trans bolts, but the top 2 and leave 1 in the bottom loose so the trans wont separate.remove shifter linkage, remove trans cross member and tilt motor/ trans back to access the last 2 bolts. There is some wires to unsnap and spedo to unhook (I also take this out for saftey 3 hours of Corona and its easy to break off when lowering down. then lower it down measure your bellhousing and make sure you can slide the trans out ( I slip mine out at the wheelwell) . Drain the trans fluid first or buy a trans plug or you will have a oily mess. And also paint mark your drive shaft flange @ rearend to reinstall in the same spot. Always use 6 point sockets also and regrease every thing you put back! I could help you on your throw out bearing but it only goes in 1 way. might of missed something but tilting your trans back helps a ton and no matter what you think the trans WILL NOT FIT THREW THE H PIPE.

I disagree my tranny came out without having to remove the H-pipe or anything...I have longtube headers and all..Then again i might just be lucky as heck

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Ive done several tranny swaps in mine and 2 clutch swaps. Its easy to do. I used jackstands a hydraulic jack. Takes a couple hours. Save your money.

Users who are viewing this thread