Those who have Kindle Fire HD's step in

01svtL

Established Member
Alright, my wife just gave birth to our first, a baby girl, a week ago today, and her birthday is next week. I was looking at getting her a Kindle Fire HD so she can read while handling her mommy duties. I don't think she needs an iPad Mini. She has the new iPhone 6s coming already. I just want to give her something she can do easily with one hand while nursing, and she likes to read. She may also use it to browse Facebook with, but that's about it.

My question is, are the newest novels that get released being offered on or available for Kindle? I don't want to get her one if the available titles are mostly old or rarely include the newest non-fiction releases etc. She has a few authors that she keeps up with, so I'd like her to be able to download those titles when the hard copies are available in stores. Is that how this works?

01svtL

Established Member
yeah they are. i thjink you can join a kindle club that 'loans' you a book at a time for no cost

Awesome, thanks! Do you have an opinion on which models to consider? It looks like the older HDX's have better screen resolution than thew new HD 8. I think I also read that the HDX had a longer battery life. The HDX can still be found brand new on eBay.

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
If you are an Amazon Prime member you get a free book each month from their lending library. If you want to see if a newly released book is available for the Kindle just look it up on Amazon. It will tell you whether it's available for the Kindle or not. I just checked and damn near every book on the NYT best seller list is available for the Kindle through Amazon.

U.M.

01svtL

Established Member
If you are an Amazon Prime member you get a free book each month from their lending library. If you want to see if a newly released book is available for the Kindle just look it up on Amazon. It will tell you whether it's available for the Kindle or not. I just checked and damn near every book on the NYT best seller list is available for the Kindle through Amazon.

U.M.

Perfect, thanks.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
i have the 8.9 hd, if i was only reading with it id prob go with the 7. movies and tv (which is what i use it for mainly) 8.9 or 10

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a Kindle Fire. It was great, but I ended up hating it for one reason: constant, never ending ad-spam.

So far, the best reader in my opinion is an iPad with the Kindle app running.

GodStang

Established Member
I had a Kindle Fire. It was great, but I ended up hating it for one reason: constant, never ending ad-spam.

So far, the best reader in my opinion is an iPad with the Kindle app running.

This right here. We have two kindles and 5 ipads. The kindles never get used and the ipads gett used every day all day. Kindle app is great to use on the ipad.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Why should I have to pay anything extra to kill the ads after I have already bought the device? Screw them and their damn $15.00.

you got it backwards. they take $15 off of the cost if you accept the ads. if you dont like it, move on to another device, which is what you've done. problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread