Those who have a 55gal drum of E85: Come in!

MTBSully

Established Member
Just got a 55 gallon drum, and even though the closest e85 station is only 7 or so miles away, I would like to keep a 55 gallon drum at my house. Will be buying a hand crank. My drum is a sealed plastic one with the two screw style caps on the top. It used to have Hydrochloric acid in it. Questions:

1. I want to hose the drum out to be sure it is clean. Whats the best way to be sure no more water is in there before I dump in the E85?
2. Do you keep it in your garage? Any fuel smell? Do you keep it sealed or partially vented?
3. Any other tips?

sonicblew

Established Member
great timing, i just got a 55 gallon drum and had the same questions too.
maybe someone who knows what hand crank to recommend or a rolling cart to set it on.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel storing that much fuel in my garage. I suppose it's no worse than a couple of cars though.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My buddies that run e85 just store there's in those vp racing gas jugs. I believe there only 5-10 gallons, but he fills 4-5 of them at a time. This might be the route I have to go as I'm limited for space. Just a thought.

bigmoose

Established Member
Hey Sully, Where do you get your E85? I just filled two 5gal containers at logan so I can get it tuned tomorrow. I don't have a tester yet so i'm hoping its decent e85.

This was my first hunt for e85 and learned a few things. The Shell in cambridge on memorial drive is out of e85 and has not had any for 3 months. The station in Chelsea(burke fuel) has e85 but they won't let you pump into a container, car only. The service station at logan has it and is open 24 hours apparently.

Last edited:

Blown38

Established Member
I think i put the vacuum blower side in mine to dry it out/ let it sit out in the sun for a few days.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
I would not recommend hosing it out as your just adding water to a sealed environment.

I'd rinse it out with a gallon of E85 and then be totally fine with using it for whatever.

Keep it 100% sealed and you wont have any odd scents.

cj428mach

Established Member
I would just get a new oil drum from a shop or company that does their own service work. We go through several 55 Gallon drums of oil a month and the places we buy the oil from wont take the drums back as cores so we have tons of them stacked around. Actually we end up crushing a lot of them when our stock pile gets to large.

Get the barrel, let it drain for a day or two and call it good. Whats a few ounces of oil in 55 gallons of alcohol, it'll all be gone after you empty it the first time. I don't see the need to introduce water or other possible contaminants while trying to "wash" out.

gabe1530

Banned
if its completely sealed it will last a long time. a member here tested his container after a year of it sitting and it was perfectly fine. i think it was c6hombre ?

MTBSully

Established Member
Has been draining and soaking in the sun for a few days now. Will probably rinse it out with some E85 and call it good

04cobrawhine

Established Member
I have an old VP racing 55 gallon drum I store it it. Just put it up on a couple 2x4s and keep it totally sealed.

Users who are viewing this thread