Those that went auto step inside

Prototype007

Established Member
I would just like to hear from some of you that went from a stock shift to an automatic on what made you decide to pick the transmission you're now using with your setup. Or if you went from one type of an automatic transmission to a different one, then I'd like to know why. Was it for weight? Gearing? Ease of install? Overdrive? Price?

Also tell a little bit about your setup to better understand your choice.

I'm not new at all to drag racing and have dealt with multiple setups over time, but nothing making big numbers or going "fast" in a SN95 chassis, but I do see me going to a turbo/blown auto setup with my 97 Cobra in the not so distant future.

Still going to be a bolt on/geared/sprayed & manual trans setup for 2015 season.

Khobra97

Established Member
I went th400 and will never look back. I chose it because of strength and proven reliability and also availability of parts. Car makes 700 wheel on pump gas through a custom PTC converter. I could not be happier with the results. And I may be a bit of a extremist but I couldn't care less about lack of overdrive. These cars like rpm and if it's making a decent amount of power your going to have 3.27 or 3.55 gears at the most anyway. I cruise the highway at 70mph with zero issues. Good luck!

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
I have a 04 swap with a Whipple 2.3 20pounds boost on race fuel 410gears.
The car had a c4 & 3200 stall converter, all I ever had was problems, bolt holes stripping out, the case cracked where the cooler line went into the case housing, leaks all over the place. IMO the c4 trans is just getting old & outdated. I had to pull it out about every 4mths and go through it just to be sure it was ok. Now I have a 4r70w built by Rich @ Detroit gearbox with a precision 3000stall converter. I have had ZERO issues with the 4r70w.
Not only did the 4R drop right in, I was able to use my old stock/factory driveshaft after a yoke change. The lockup and OD are an added bonus.
The TH400 is a good option as well if you don't care about lockup or OD. These cars are absolute animals with an auto and some boost.

Blackedout

Established Member
Check out FB Performance... I run their 4STBE (4r70) with L/U & OD ..... I cruise the highway a lot so OD was important to me... Zero issues and they were great to deal with !!!! OH no regrets switching to the auto either...

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
FB 4r70w here as well. And I swapped from a built th400. Having OD was important to me. I have no regrets man. I don't miss rowing gears at all!

Prototype007

Established Member
Bumping this back up to hear others input.

How much did some of you 4R70 guys spend and what's your power levels? I'd like to have overdrive, but it don't phase me to sacrifice it for a stronger trans that's cheaper to build (th400/glide).

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
My car made 550 at the wheels, so what's that at the crank 600? I had my 4r built to handle at least 700hp. Out the door price with the converter was 3200.

Blackedout

Established Member
786/707 and still going strong.... A good converter makes the difference (jmo) there is a circle D triple disk in mine that was $1300... best bet is call around and tell them your plans/goals and built it right the first time...(trans-converter-shifter-cooler-lines-controller)$5200+

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
This is true^

trans
converter
cooler & lines
auto shifter
auto trans linkage & cable
drive shaft or use your old one
8 bolt auto flywheel
fluid
Comes out to about 5200+

FMDAD

Established Member
Love my 4r70w! Full manual, OD, lock up and Trans brake w/ 3600 stall. It sucks a little power but more than makes up for it with positive and consistent shifts.

Users who are viewing this thread