Those That Re-Finished BBS RK's

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I have BBS RK's that I want to have Plasma coated...The wheels are perfect just that I want to get them coated.....they are a gunmetal color currently

Has anyone done this and who did you go with..... I want to stay on the east coast though..........Wheel Collision and Detroit Wheels are the only ones that I have seen so far use the PVD (powdercoat) process......

I am sure there are a few out there that have redone their wheels......

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I used Wheel Collision for my BBS wheels. They did a great job and I was very happy with the final color. Here are pics of my car: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...pics-93-fox-terminator-motor-2-9-whipple.html

Yes....I remember that you said you went to Wheel Collision....I was hoping to see if there was some more choices.....

I was surprised that Wheel Collision is much more expensive than Detroit Wheel (by a few hundred dollars)

I still rather use Wheel Collision though and go with the hyper chrome or smoke briliant PVD finish not the hyper chrome black (too dark for me)

Did you have any issues with installing the center caps after the coating process because of thickness of the coating?

Again...you car is incredible......I've looked at those pictures over and over again....great job......:beer:

Last edited:

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Yes....I remember that you said you went to Wheel Collision....I was hoping to see if there was some more choices.....

I was surprised that Wheel Collision is much more expensive than Detroit Wheel (by a few hundred dollars)

I still rather use Wheel Collision though and go with the hyper chrome or smoke briliant PVD finish not the hyper chrome black (too dark for me)

Did you have any issues with installing the center caps after the coating process because of thickness of the coating?

Again...you car is incredible......I've looked at those pictures over and over again....great job......:beer:

Thanks - no issues at all with center cap, valve stem etc. One thing I discovered after doing my wheels is that Wheel Collision will only do wheels in the PVD process. Apparently the company they use for coating does not have a vacuum chamber to accomodate small parts. This became an issue for me since I was looking to have some motor parts done to match my wheels. I ended up going to American PVD in CA for coating the engine parts. They also do wheels but are across the US. Good luck.

Det_riot

Established Member
I plan on getting mine redone at Detroit wheel and tire. No brainer for me as I'm only about half hour from their location hahah

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Thanks - no issues at all with center cap, valve stem etc. One thing I discovered after doing my wheels is that Wheel Collision will only do wheels in the PVD process. Apparently the company they use for coating does not have a vacuum chamber to accomodate small parts. This became an issue for me since I was looking to have some motor parts done to match my wheels. I ended up going to American PVD in CA for coating the engine parts. They also do wheels but are across the US. Good luck.

Yes...I saw American PVD out there.........Jomo from this site sent his BBS RK's there to get the Plasma finish......One wheel did come back somewhat damaged (chipped by lug area) I believe, just cant remember exactly......I haven't seen him post lately....

Thanks for the info...Good to know.....

I plan on getting mine redone at Detroit wheel and tire. No brainer for me as I'm only about half hour from their location hahah

You are lucky...I wish I was close... I don't feel comfortable shipping my wheels out...I will be packing them up very well...I also read Steve (T/Forge) post on the best way to ship wheels....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread