Those running a cowl hood on 2013+, Step in to my office

pickles

Established Member
Looking to order a Cowl hood for my 2013, but not sure what hood to go with for good quality & fitment. Not interested in carbon fiber

Currently looking at a Cervinis Cobra R, or Harwood cowl, although I can't seem to find any photo's of a harwood on a car

Any recommendations?? Photo's would be appreciated!

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Cobra R. I think it's the best cowl hood for the 13s.

I mean the pic on their website is of a DIB car. :lol1:

yhst-131964867535317_2296_16337788.jpg

Last edited:

hitmix300

Established Member
I got a trufiber. Fitment and looks r great but the hood got a little damage during shipping. Be sure to completely unbox it and inspect before you accept...

stangn

Established Member
Harwood typically needs a lot of grinding to make it fit right. I don't know about there new hoods like the carbon fiber deal. I would hope you don't have to grind to make it fit.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Harwoods Carbon fiber hood, at least for my '12 fit like crap and needed a lot of grinding for fitment before i could even bolt it on or close it. I called Harwood to tell them the issues and was told its thick for shipping purpose (ya, ok) and basically told me to bad on the damage, the hood require trimming. My problem was that the hood couldn't even be bolted on, or closed without damaging my plastic wiper cowl panels as the flanges where beyond thick. The front of the hood edges were so thick, they also gouged into my headlight housings. I had to crack my fender bolts loose which i did not want to do and shift the fenders of which the gaps still aren't correct. Their shipping wasn't sufficient and the hood does have a few hairline cracks at the back are of the cowl to hood bends. For the price, the fitment was complete poo and i was very displeased overall. That's not even including them shipping me the wrong hood the first time. I've had a few other cowl hoods, none of which were that bad.

Last edited:

pickles

Established Member
Hmm interesting. I guess I'll steer clear of the harwood stuff.

Cervinis hoods seem to have a really good rep as far as I can tell, I think I'll just go ahead and pull the trigger on it.

I talked to the body shop about painting it and they say I have to blend the fenders as well.. Is this true??

I'm thinkin I'll just get the hood painted and skip the fender blending, it should be pretty damn close if not perfect being that the paint is so new and not faded. Thoughts/Opinions??

01bluesnake

Established Member
Some shops like to blend, i'm not a fan of it. With the right paint mixer and painter, the hood can look damn right perfect. My '01 cobra was true blue, paint color changes under light. I had the hood on it sprayed and was perfect. I tried to tell and could not. They sent my fuel door to PPG and had the paint custom poured for mine.

DSCF4822.jpg

Last edited:

pickles

Established Member
Awesome, good to hear!

Thanks for the replies! I'll be ordering next week, pics to come when the hood is painted and installed

01bluesnake

Established Member
Your welcome. If they try to push you into doing it, then they aren't confident on their work and i would look otherwise. My painter sprayed multiple test sheets and allowed me to look at them with the car outside and in different light till we found a match that color changed perfectly. This was even after PPG sent the paint. He tweaked it ever so little from what they sent, but spent the time to get it perfect.

jojobee

Established Member
How much are you guys paying in the US the get a Cobra R hood painted ?
Here i got a couple of quotes ranging from 500 -1200$ and all that bullshit about the hood needind special additives and paint snce its not metal.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Depends if you are looking at just the top, or under the hood as well since some up charge for that. I think average is around $450 just for paint. If the hood needs blocking add in time and $ for that. It could be the reason your getting higher quotes. They do use a different additive and primer, but nothing that cost that much more. Trust me, it doesn't cost them much to paint a hood. My last dealer i worked at had a body shop, so i was lucky.

Last edited:

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
I order on 11/30 a Cobra R hood from Cervinis for my 11GT and decided to have them paint the hood for me. They charged me $350. I figured it would be easier to have them paint it and when I receive the hood I can tell if there are any imperfections and send it back. Im not worried about paint not matching as Im going to have the car professionally paint corrected this spring. Only downside the hood is shipping out end of next week so Ive waited around 7 wks for the hood but then again I order during the holiday's

CSG

Established Member
Most shops will want to blend as it saves time for them. Just agree to pay labor for however many test sprays it takes to get the match perfect and then the blend will not be needed. I have spent as much as $400 extra for this though...

scotmach

Established Member
I know its not a 13 but here is Cervini's new 3in re-design cowl hood.. they will be making it for 13's soon I heard.

It's still not available for the 11-12's yet either. I emailed them last week and they're still a month or so away from releasing it.

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
i ordered a cervinis cobra r hood on monday, 4 weeks out on all painted parts!! paid $900 shipped for it. they are running a 5% off all items for the month of january.

i know from the lightning crowd that harwood's shipping and fitment is very poor. their hoods take a lot of prep work to get right. besides that imo all of harwoods designs are too square/boxy and aggressive. remind me of an old track only camaro or something.

love the cervinis cowl on my lightning. cant freakin wait for this one to get here!

thegraystang

Established Member
I was all for that Harwood since either saw someone on instagram with it. But after this, it's not a risk I willing to take. Guess I'll wait for this one to be released.

Posted via Topify on Android

nordy racer

Established Member
It's still not available for the 11-12's yet either. I emailed them last week and they're still a month or so away from releasing it.

man, I guess they are taking their time. when they finished with my car they said it would be ready for Christmas.. More coolness for me, being the only one to have it :rockon: lol... j/k

pickles

Established Member
Well I got the Cobra R & installed it. But I'm not having much luck finding a body shop that is confident they can match the paint without blending. Sigh.

I might have to paint it black or put a wrap on it of some sort.. I really can't decide.

Users who are viewing this thread