Those of you with front runners..

Which tire for front runners?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Do you guys run slick style tires or do you run a radial?

What do you prefer and why?

mustang john

Established Member
ET Drag 28" stiff walls, no compromise in traction and less suspension tuning required to get a great sixty foot. They can also give better traction when track conditions aren't ideal and they hook more consistently. A radial would never handle the 5500+ RPM launches I do.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I run the MT ET Sportsman in the front.
They aren't as light as a true skinny front bias ply but they are made for street/strip use and are DOT approved.
They are a bias ply tire and work well with the ET Drags for the tack or radials on the street

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
I run M&H racemaster radials up front on my 17" racestars. I have not put on my 26x11.50 ET streets on the rear yet. I can't comment on the "sway" people experience with mismatched tire compounds.

mustang john

Established Member
Hell, thats what i get for posting tired before i crash... lol oops. Front runners yeah, i just have el cheapo 165/15 radials up front. Not the best choice but they are cheap. With my new found MPH in the 1/4 now i will be moving to a better speed rated front runner but it will still be a radial since i drive it on the street with drag radials out back.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I run M&H racemaster radials up front on my 17" racestars. I have not put on my 26x11.50 ET streets on the rear yet. I can't comment on the "sway" people experience with mismatched tire compounds.

I have 17" racestars as well and the price is pretty much the same whether you go radials or bias ply hence the reason I am asking. I ran with ET streets and street tires on stock rims before and never had any problems with sway. I just bought these for a good price to reduce rotating mass up front.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
They aren't as light as a true skinny front bias ply but they are made for street/strip use and are DOT approved.
They are a bias ply tire and work well with the ET Drags for the tack or radials on the street

Unfortunately these aren't available in a 17". All I can find is stuff made by M&H

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
The 17" skinnies look good but as you pointed out the tires selection is limited.

So between the two which would you choose? These are the only two I can find.

M&H MSS-017 M&H Front Runner Drag Tires - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

or

M&H Mustang Racemaster Front Runner - 185/55-17 ROD-11R - Free Shipping ROD-11R

I doubt these wheels will ever see street duty but I am not against radials I just would rather have the best performance overall if there is enough of a difference in the tire alone.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
So between the two which would you choose? These are the only two I can find.

M&H MSS-017 M&H Front Runner Drag Tires - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

or

M&H Mustang Racemaster Front Runner - 185/55-17 ROD-11R - Free Shipping ROD-11R

I doubt these wheels will ever see street duty but I am not against radials I just would rather have the best performance overall if there is enough of a difference in the tire alone.

I may have missed it but what rear tires do you run?

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member

This is what I run also(15") they have a 8 ply rating & will support the cobra or pick up!! I had the MH 185/17& they always looked flat at max pressure screeched around turns & started to crack after only 1&1/2 years.IMO the MH are to light duty for a 03/04 cobra.if you go with them just use them for track days & get them off!

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
This is what I run also(15") they have a 8 ply rating & will support the cobra or pick up!! I had the MH 185/17& they always looked flat at max pressure screeched around turns & started to crack after only 1&1/2 years.IMO the MH are to light duty for a 03/04 cobra.if you go with them just use them for track days & get them off!

That's all they will be used for is track duty only. And the car is trailered to the track and home

I may have missed it but what rear tires do you run?
Mickey Thompson ET Streets

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
That's all they will be used for is track duty only. And the car is trailered to the track and home

Mickey Thompson ET Streets

Bias ply or radial?
Point being it is best to run radials all around or bias ply all around.
Especially at the track.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey Rick, how are those MT Sportsman front runners holding up with street use? Do they wear fast?

Hi John!
My set is about 3 years old and have little wear and no cracking.
There is a bunch of 1/4 mile passes on them and probably a couple of thousand street miles.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I was looking into the same thing for next season. Those little runners are expensive for being g string thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread