Those of you who have had your engine replaced under warranty inside!!!

torchred02gt

Established Member
So my car had a tapping noise at idle. Dropped it off at the dealer on December 22nd and the tech determined the noise was in the bottom end on cylinder 5. That's pretty much all I've heard and it's now January 7th. How long did it take the rest of you that have had to go through this process to get your car back?

Last edited:

Priceless

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your motor woes. I just went through something similar. I developed a mild tapping/ mechanical clanking this past September. It honestly just sounded like my exhaust was loose. It would only make that sound at low rpm's and light load. I took the car in at the end of September for that and some paint issues making sure to beat my 3yr bumper to bumper. My dealer called back a few days later and told me they were getting into the motor, and then a few days after that I was told bearings on cylinder 1 & 5 were bad along with the rod's being bent. Will attach a photo of bearings later..

I ended up with a new shortblock from Ford. My only concern was no real diffinitive explanation as to the cause of failure on a 100% stock motor was given. My theory is the dreaded oil pump gear issue. Motor may of been slightly starved for oil at some point and problems slowly developed from there. But a theory is all it is. My dealer's mechanic mentioned he thought something could of made it's was into the engine and caused the the bearing then subsequent rod damage...but no real answer as to how. Everything was handled professionally and fast. The shortblock(comes fully assembled) was in within 4 or 5 days, and the motor back together within a week or less. Not fully sure, was out of town during that time and didn't pick up for 2 weeks.

Considering your tune, I hope all is done under warranty. If so I would consider upgrading your clutch, as they did mine sans labor costs because the oem one was already out and needed to be reinstalled anyways. Went with Exedy. I didn't do this but should of asked, if I could of added ARP bolts for reassembly and still kept the power train warranty.

Sizeth3

Established Member
For the record, I love my Coyote, but reading these stories really get me down. I feel like I have to tune my car in order to truly have fun with it, and then bye bye warranty :(

SaleenTV

@THELASTVENDETTA
Established Member
Im currently dealing with the same bs. My car has been at the dealer for over 2 months now. Same issue... tapping noise sounding like a loose manifold. They first thought it was the water pump. Then they replaced the lifters. Now its something with the head. So now they are replacing the head. SO now I have to wait for this backordered head. That isnt going to fix anything because its in the bottom end. Then I will have to wait for a backordered motor. The dealership is horrible that I have been dealing with and I will not be doing business with them again. I have to continue to call them about the car. They never call me first and two months? Come on now thats just rediculous and they still cant figure out the issue. Anybody selling and shelbys? haha

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
then why ask the internet when you can ask the source? #mindblown

Zing lol

I'd be interested to see if it's covered or not. Do you know how it works? When a vehicle comes from the factory with the original update it has a "1" in the PCM and there is a "1" in Ford's system. Every system update that Ford comes out with it adds an additional number to Ford's system...and when your car gets updated it matches Ford system. When you do an aftermarket tune, yours will be one higher than Ford's system; won't be covered.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
You are all just speculating on whether or not Ford is paying the bill. Ford knows that at least half if not more of these cars will be modded in some shape or form. It all comes down to your individual relationship you have with your dealer. If everyone got denied warranty on their powertrains for tuning they would ultimately lose business in the long run in parts/service and new car sales. Ford sells tuning and parts for these cars. Just saying that's a stock Mustang is generally a pretty big oxymoron. I say all this because due to my relationship I know my car is covered (my dealer knows my car has been tuned since 800 miles) through the remainder (within reason) of my warranty period.

Last edited:

Buggywhips

Established Member
I developed the tick that sounded like the BBQ ignitor at around 5K miles after my first oil change. After several trips back and forth to the dealer to replicate the problem they couldn't pinpoint what was wrong and wanted to tear down the engine as directed by Ford. That solution didn't sit well with me so I got Ford's Customer Service involved which expedited things a bit. Before the dealer could get a Ford Engineer to come see my car my wife and I moved from CO to GA. After "interviewing" several GA dealerships I found one that seemed to be interested in working with me and my CO dealership. With the Ford Engineer present we removed the oil filter (about 2k miles on the oil and filter) to cut it open. We found an excess of bearing material in the oil and the crankshaft end play was also out of spec. A new long block was installed. Total down time for the car was 8.5 weeks including the time in CO and GA.

I had all the mods in my signature on the car except the Paxton and both the Ford Engineer and the dealership worked with me. I feel what made the most difference in getting the motor replaced was being extremely nice while clearly making my wishes known, lots of patience, and most of all persistence.

The new engine feels stronger than my first one ever did I'm happy to say that both dealerships bent over backwards to help. Even with the Paxton on they know the car and when I pull in the Service Manager steps out to greet me and tries to have my car seen immediately. Still no issues with getting things done under warranty.

Sizeth3

Established Member
Can I ask a silly question. What motivation would a dealership have to not honor a warranty? I assume they get paid by Ford to work on your car, why would they turn work away? I can understand why Ford wouldn't cover it, but it's not like the dealership is the one who has to pay for labor and parts right?

scott_0

Established Member
Can I ask a silly question. What motivation would a dealership have to not honor a warranty? I assume they get paid by Ford to work on your car, why would they turn work away? I can understand why Ford wouldn't cover it, but it's not like the dealership is the one who has to pay for labor and parts right?
when they get an engine failure (more so the #8 cylinder) Ford has the dealership look further into it, yup.......is it tuned? they most times send a rep out to verify the ecm has been flashed or not, they know, theyre not going to simply give you a new motor because you tell them its never been tuned or because you know someone

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member

Because warranty pays a lot less than customer pay. Also if the dealer is trending high in certain categories (engine, trans, electrical etc) a big motor job may hurt their numbers further.

Newskool Mach

9 second club
Established Member
I am very close with a service writer in the Ford dealership in my neighborhood. He told me be very careful of what you post on social media. Ford has a group of internet detectives that when they receive a high cost warranty repair. For instance a Trinity GT500 motor. They scour the net to see if you posted anything like videos of you racing at the track performing mods etc so they can flag you and void your warranty. Of course I'm toast...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread