those of you w/ aftermarket water temp gauges in here

03DarkShadow

Established Member
Hello, i was wondering what kind of temperatures you all have been seeing? I have a 170 thermostat and the temps outside are starting to warm up here. Its around 80 degrees here. I noticed that my water temps have been between 180-195 mostly towards the 195 side. just curious to what others are gettin. Thanks Jamie

Scobra03

Established Member
hello ,, i have a aftermarket water temp gauge ..with the factory 190 thermstat installed...when i am moving it stays around 180 to 190..then when i stop it goes to between 210 and 220....till the fan kicks on around 210...i was told if it gets above 220 then fan kicks into a higher rpm,,,and yes i have heard it increase,,,hope this helps..... jeff...

03DarkShadow

Established Member
the hottest it gets is when its idling. no airflow over radiator. im just curious. when i get moving it stays around 180 or a tad under. thanks Jamie

Cobra'03

Established Member
03 dark - that temp you are seeing is fine - what are you concerned about, or just curious? Mine runs in the same range - I kicked around folling with the thermostat but see no benefit in doing so for day to day driving. Maybe if all you see is strip use, a low temp thermo will delay the eventual rise to 180-190, but for day to day, it will also make the likelihood opf condensates in the oil not burning off in short interval trips - not good.

Smrgol

I've got the stock thermostat and an aftermarket gauge. My temps stay between 180 and 190 but the Diablo chip I've got kicks the fan to high at 190 or so. The stock fan program start low at about 195 or 200 and goes to high at 210 or so, I think.

Smrgol

Originally posted by RGrossman
Where do you put the sensor for an aftermarket water temp guage?

I used the bung on the cross-over tube on the top, front, driver's side. My Autometer kit came with an adapter that fit nicely. Here's a picture.

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
dwtalso--Which kit is that? Part Number please if you don't mind...and electrical or mechanical?? Thanks!

RGrossman

Established Member
Thats nice. On my GT I had to put it in the side of the block and drain all the coolant. Was a pain in the but. Can this simply be plugged in without flushing the coolant out of the system?

maoun

Established Member
i see about 190 most of the time....running the fluidyne radiator with water wetter and distilled water...160 thermo and switch controlled fans.

m.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by Scobra03
hello ,, i have a aftermarket water temp gauge ..with the factory 190 thermstat installed...when i am moving it stays around 180 to 190..then when i stop it goes to between 210 and 220....till the fan kicks on around 210...i was told if it gets above 220 then fan kicks into a higher rpm,,,and yes i have heard it increase,,,hope this helps..... jeff...

Factory stock thermostat is 180 degrees. That is why most people are seeing temps in the 180 to 195 degree range unless the load is heavy, then, of course, the temps are going to sky- rocket.

Dana

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Originally posted by dwtalso
I used the bung on the cross-over tube on the top, front, driver's side. My Autometer kit came with an adapter that fit nicely. Here's a picture.

I'm still looking for the kit # that has this easy adapter? Anyone??

Smrgol

Mine is the Autometer Phantom 2 1/16" electrical water temperature gauge, P/N 5737. The kit included the correct sized adapter for the bung.

This adapter worked on both my '99 Cobra and this car. Some folks had trouble with fitment but it worked for me perfectly in both cases.

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
dwtalso--Is it a straightforward just plug it in adapter, or is there more to it?? Thanks for the P/N by the way.

Smrgol

The adpater simply threads right in, the sensor threads into it. I put some sealing tape on the threads to keep the seal good. That was it for me :).

Users who are viewing this thread