Those of you running separate race tunes on race fuel, step inside..

truculentSVT

Established Member
For those of you that run separate race tunes with race gas, How do you guys switch fuels? Is there a way to empty the tank, without dropping it out and emptying it? There is probably a simple way, that i've not thought about, so i'd like to hear what everyone else is doing. I'm getting ready to do a race tune, and hope I don't have to drop the tank just to switch.. T.I.A.! :beer:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Run it until E and fill up is how I did it lol.. I have a sumped tank now so I guess I can just pull the plug for one of the feeds in the sump and let it drain out completely..

01-04Cobra

Established Member
OK, this is not the best or safest way to do it, but most people just run it low and slow until it's almost empty. Personally, if I'm on a pinch, I just unplug my feed line and turn the pumps on to empty the tank, but that's because I have a return system and I switch between E85 and 93.

What do you mean by race fuel? C16? Meth? Alcohol?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I don't drive mine but a few thousand miles a year so basically I fill up to half tank when I drive it with 93 octane. That way by the time I race it's basically down to a 1/4 tank or less usually. Then add straight race gas to half tank and race.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I do it the red neck way.
Remove the cap and shrader valve from the passenger side fuel rail.
Take some 3/8" fuel line and put it over the valve.
Use a hose clamp and tighten it down.
Put the other end of the 3/8" fuel line in a gas can.
Start the car.
When it stalls your tank is empty.
My tuner said he can send me a tune to keep the fuel pumps running full time with just the key on. I haven't gotten around to it yet.
This works cleanly with no spillage every time.

Last edited:

truculentSVT

Established Member
OK, this is not the best or safest way to do it, but most people just run it low and slow until it's almost empty. Personally, if I'm on a pinch, I just unplug my feed line and turn the pumps on to empty the tank, but that's because I have a return system and I switch between E85 and 93.

What do you mean by race fuel? C16? Meth? Alcohol?

I'm running a return system as well..

I'm going to be running VP 109..

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
I've heard of some tuners/shops attaching a line to the fuel pressure regulator or schrader valve and power the fuel pumps which eventually empty the tank. I may find out in a few months when I get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread