this years autox

Steeltwo

Established Member
so this past Sunday was the annual SCCA autox.

Once again, the tour got autox duty. Last year I got dumped into the STS catagory. STS means alot of mods and my svt only had a frickin CAI on it.
but with it raining, I was able to hang with everyone and get mid pack.

This year, I pulled the intake and returned it back to it's stock loving glory. Tech inspection passed and I got a big GS in my window.

GS is for the better handling cars on the road. GS is the class where the Cobra's, some vettes(non z06) svt foci, audi a4 and a6, 3 series bmw's, mini copper s's etc etc go.

so in my class are as follows

Mini Copper S vert entered with two different drivers
Civic Si with two drivers
Me
Audi A4 3.0

So I know i'm toast with the mini. It is running BFG KDW 2's.
The civic Si is running some Hankook's I think.
the audi has all seasons
and i've got some all seasons and 117k on the suspension :)

So I get roasted by the mini s. Not surprise there. With those tires, the suspension and the minimal overhangs. The car is just built for the twisties.
both drivers get me, one by 3 seconds, the other by .7 seconds.

Civic Si(99 or 00 model), this guy is a SCCA guy who races all over the place, so I figured i was toast. He drove the ever loving crap out of the car. And those tires were making the car stick like glue. He lost to one of the mini's by less than .5 seconds, and beat the other by 2 seconds.

I get the middle of the pack. My front tires were not up to the task of hanging corners like I wanted them too. The first three laps around, I kept braking or just using the car momentum to hang the corners when the car would understeer.
Then I watched the video that a friend took and noticed that I was driving like a moron :)

so for the other three laps I use the cars massive torque to pull the front end around. I think my car made the most noise from the tires. I believe I even beat the blown z06, but i dunno. Cause that car was screeching like a MF.

with using that tactic, I knocked 2 seconds off my time. On my last run, I almost plowed 5 cones by overpowering the tires. But it gave me the best time. The BFG Traction T/A's do ok in the winter, and do fine when doing spirited driving. But in the autox world. They need to sit down and take their place in the back.

this will be the last year the tour gets autox duty. It will soon be in the hands of my friend and odds are. I'll be sporting a SVT Foci(if it is at least close to the power of the csvt)
i need some cargo room, and the tour's non folding down backseat makes the car not that great.

plus I do not want to haul all my friends around. They won't want to sit in the backseat of the foci :-D

Users who are viewing this thread