This story breaks my heart..

CobraCallie

Banned
I don’t know if people have heard much about this story, but it’s caught my interests a while ago and I’ve been keeping up with it.

Here’s what the story is about:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&u=/ap/20031017/ap_on_re_us/comatose_woman_22

They’re starving her to death! The husband told them to take the tube out… but he’s already living with another woman (I can’t find the link to back that up… I’ll find it somewhere. I KNOW I read that though.) and taking her insurance money.

Here’s what’s happened today:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...e=9&u=/ap/20031019/ap_on_re_us/comatose_woman

The cops are DENYING her final communion, which means A LOT in the Catholic faith. This just gets worse and worse! This story really breaks my heart. Plus… I’ve seen pictures of her before her brain damage. BEAUTIFUL woman…

This just breaks my heart :cryying:

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
Go to www.freerepublic.com. They have multiple theads on this story. Her husband is living with another woman, has fathered a child with her and she is pregnant with another one. There is evidence that he abused Terry and caused her condition. He wants her to die in order to collect the insurance. He is a despicable human being.

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
I remember seeing this story on national news. Very very tragic... :(

Yet again the question of medical ethics has been raised.

hj16

Established Member
It is a very sad story, but C'mon 13yrs as a veg? I'd want someone to pull the plug on me after a month tops.

The guy is still an asshole though.

silveroush281

ITBLOWZBYE
Established Member
Originally posted by hj16
It is a very sad story, but C'mon 13yrs as a veg? I'd want someone to pull the plug on me after a month tops.

The guy is still an asshole though.

:dw: That's what i was thinking.

ssssnake

Established Member
Makes me sick too. What a slow, terrible death - starvation. I sympathize with her parents having to go through this. Now if this was a chicken, there would be millions of protests, Pamela Anderson would be on TV crying. But since it's a human, no one gives a $hit - but her parents.

I see her husband collected one million over malpractice over her condition. Hey, now it's time to get rid of the bitch, huh? Sorry piece of crap. Oh, and refusing her communion? Why? Because they don't want her to choke. DON'T WANT HER TO CHOKE? At least it would be a quicker death, wouldn't it? This world nowadays makes me sick.

ssssnake

Established Member
Here's a good article about her condition. Schialvo The SOB refused her rehabilitation ten years ago. She might be a whole lot better by now - but she is NOT in a vegetative state. I told my husband that if anything like this happened to me and he pulled the plug, I'd come back and haunt him. PEOPLE NEED TO QUIT PLAYING GOD. Yeah, if that person has a right to die paper executed, fine -let them die. But it doesn't look to me that she wants to die. Kind of reminds me of the Hitler days - if you're ill and not perfect - just go ahead and kill yourself. Hey, you don't want to be a burden on others, do you?

Last edited:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by ssssnake
Here's a good article about her condition. Schialvo The SOB refused her rehabilitation ten years ago. She might be a whole lot better by now - but she is NOT in a vegetative state. I told my husband that if anything like this happened to me and he pulled the plug, I'd come back and haunt him. PEOPLE NEED TO QUIT PLAYING GOD. Yeah, if that person has a right to die paper executed, fine -let them die. But it doesn't look to me that she wants to die. Kind of reminds me of the Hitler days - if you're ill and not perfect - just go ahead and kill yourself. Hey, you don't want to be a burden on others, do you?

I have to take the other side on this one. She is basically vegitative. She hasn't gotten better in 13 years. And letting her die is NOT playing God.....Keeping her alive is.

Bleeding hearts have no conception of the bigger picture. Here's and article for you, should give you that "warm and fuzzy feeling" : http://www.alfageek.com/rambling1.htm

ssssnake

Established Member
Bleeding heart? Wow, I don't think I've ever been called that. They're not "letting" her die, they're starving her. I can read all the stories you want - doesn't change my mind. sorry

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Bleeding heart? Wow, I don't think I've ever been called that. They're not "letting" her die, they're starving her. I can read all the stories you want - doesn't change my mind. sorry

No, they aren't starving her. If she got her butt off of the bed and grabbed a loaf of bread and started eating, no one would stop her. The fact is, she is unable to feed herself. She is also unable to live without life support. Finally, she is unable to communicate with any degree of certainty. She basically IS a vegetable. They are removing life support, no more, no less. In fact, removing the life support is the EXACT OPPOSITE of playing God. It is letting nature take it's course. Had they not played God in the first place, this would have happened 13 years ago.

As for the bleeding heart comment, it wasn't entirely directed at you. However, the fact remains that there are too many people on this rock as it stands, and the more people like this we keep alive in vain hopes that they will improve, the more resources we waste.

Last edited:

ssssnake

Established Member
I guess the reason I feel this way is personal. I have an older sister (by 5 years) who is severely retarded. For the first 15 years of her life, she could not feed herself nor communicate. Was my mother playing God when she fed her three times a day and cleaned up after her? No - I think she was being a loving parent taking care of her child. She does feed herself and communicate now (she doesn't phrase sentences, just says words) so it can be learned. Mrs. Schiavo might be able to feed herself by now if her husband had approved rehabilitation for her. Just think it's wrong to take a life like that. I just know that I do not want a man making that decision on my life - whether I live or die.

CobraCallie

Banned
I guess the reason I feel this way is personal. I have an older sister (by 5 years) who is severely retarded. For the first 15 years of her life, she could not feed herself nor communicate. Was my mother playing God when she fed her three times a day and cleaned up after her? No - I think she was being a loving parent taking care of her child. She does feed herself and communicate now (she doesn't phrase sentences, just says words) so it can be learned. Mrs. Schiavo might be able to feed herself by now if her husband had approved rehabilitation for her. Just think it's wrong to take a life like that. I just know that I do not want a man making that decision on my life - whether I live or die.

Mary.. I completely agree with you and I've seen the same as you. My step brother is mentally handicapped, and has to be absolutely the sweetest thing on this earth. He was born severely mentally handicapped. He couldn't even walk till he was eight years old. But now he's 27, walks on his own, has a job that helps him learn new skills, and he eats on his own. It's all stuff that he couldn't do... but the body learns to go along with new changes. If the husband was supportive, he would of taken her to Physical Therapy, and slowly day by day, might of seen some improvement.

It's just extremely wrong on what this husband is doing to his wife. His wife that he once loved and cared for. You think we're playing god by giving her a feeding tube? If god didn't want her on a feeding tube, one night while sleeping, he would of taken her up to heaven. My step dad's first wife was hit by a drunk driver and paralyzed from the shoulders down for 13 years. She could barely speak, let alone eat. But the family helped her progress. Then one night, God took her away while sleeping.

We're here on this earth to help people, not to make God's decision for them. I might not be in medical school yet, but I believe that, being a doctor or someone in the medical field, their job is to help people. Be that through feeding tubes, colonscopy bags, oxygen tanks, kidney dialsis, and many other things offered. This story is just about a husband wanted to get rid of his paralyzed wife so he can get the malpractice money and insurance money and moving on to f*ck other women. I know if I was ever in this situation, I'd want my husband to stay by my side and help me, instead of throw up his hands in the air and say "I give up, now gimme my money for her."

Sorry for the long post... like I said earlier.. this story really says something about our society.

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
No, they aren't starving her. If she got her butt off of the bed and grabbed a loaf of bread and started eating, no one would stop her. The fact is, she is unable to feed herself. She is also unable to live without life support. Finally, she is unable to communicate with any degree of certainty. She basically IS a vegetable. They are removing life support, no more, no less. In fact, removing the life support is the EXACT OPPOSITE of playing God. It is letting nature take it's course. Had they not played God in the first place, this would have happened 13 years ago.

As for the bleeding heart comment, it wasn't entirely directed at you. However, the fact remains that there are too many people on this rock as it stands, and the more people like this we keep alive in vain hopes that they will improve, the more resources we waste.

Go to www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1003940/posts. Click on the videos. Terry is not, repeat not in a vegatative state. Of course, according to Nietchien Supermen like you, she is an undermenschen who does not deserve to breathe the same air as you.

Users who are viewing this thread