This sound normal for a Paxton?

rustang1

Established Member
Sounds fubar to me but I've never heard a Paxton up close.

What's it do when you rev it?

Badlilstang

Established Member
Cleans up as soon as it comes of idle. Heard a few other videos and the noise is just as bad as mine.. and thy were a few feet back.. keep in mind I am right up within 6 inches of the Paxton during this so the sound is exagerated by the mic a bit.

Texas01GT

Established Member
I've got a 2200 and everything in the video sounds normal to me, centrifugals are noisy at idle unless you get heli cut gears

hirting

Established Member
Sounds similar to mine. I do notice it is louder at startup and gets quieter as it warms up to operating temp.

Badlilstang

Established Member
Sounds similar to mine. I do notice it is louder at startup and gets quieter as it warms up to operating temp.

Yup.. mine got quieter as it warmed up. Ok... just trying to check every possibility since it was a used kit as to why I am down a pound of boost and it appears to be playing havoc on my tuning. I am picking up some quality clamps after work and replacing the ones I have on there now that don't seem to be holding as well.

Have you guys been able to clear the pipe with the Bypass valve from touching the electric fan? I even did extra cutting and its hitting right up against it.. felt like the fan had to be wedged into location. The kit is just super tight it seems. Other side nothing touches.

Hodor

Established Member
Yes, it's an extremely tight fitting kit. If your pipes are touching components on the car, you're probably getting some false knock.

Badlilstang

Established Member
What are you basing that you are down a pound of boost on? Just curious

My boost gauge.. and the fact my tuner said there was a change in my kit on the last logs. I touched nothing but I see a clamp that looks like its getting ready to let go of a pipe. I am replacing that clamp with a higher quality one. I was hitting consistent 11 every time and 11.5 in cold weather. Now I am hitting a consistent 10.. same RPM 7500.

Badlilstang

Established Member
I give up.. I haven't touched a thing.. It has to be the weather.. I think maybe the humidity but even last night I barely hit 10.. probably 9.5 and then this morning I did this.... I've changed nothing not even that clamp yet. I am chalking it up to just crappy air in Texas..

IMG_2425_zps1pkso1ug.jpg

imeyers302

Established Member
Why? My tuner (in my opinion) is one of the safest around. I trust his judgement of what my car can take.

Mine too. I just feel that adding boost to a motor that was not designed to handle it to begin with is at the very least pushing its limits. At 620whp that's about 700 to the motor. Adding 280+hp to a 420hp engine without any other internal mods is pushing it imo. I could be wrong and I know plenty of people do it, that's just my opinion. Me personally, next season I am doing forged internals.

The tuner can write you a safe tune for 800whp, does not mean the internals, (rods, rings, pistons, opg's, crank gears, etc...) can handle it.

Last edited:

GBCoyote

Established Member
Out of the paxton 2200, most people pop the motors at 11lbs. The wastegate setups have a 10lb spring and an 11lb spring. More than a few people have popped their motor on the 11lb setup. Just speaking from the research I've done, because I wanted to drop the 11lb spring in my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread