THIS is why you need a chip...

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
All that BS about not needing a chip is pure and utter crap. The stock a/f was a mess- 14:1 down low to 10.5:1 up top. Baseline (001) was with only the mods (Bassani cat pipe & cat back, UPR CAI, 2.93" pulley); runs 2-3 were with the chip- the "street" tune. Runs 4-6 are with the 2.80 pulley (which by itself only added 3hp and 8 ft/lbs) and some additional tweaking/ timing- the "race" tune, 458h/482t. Stock numbers were 389h/377t.

We both thought there was more left, maybe another 5-10 hp & ft/lbs, but he wanted to play it safe and I can live with the numbers, considering the safe tune (~11.3:1 a/f- it looks like a landing strip, almost perfectly flat from 2500 to redline). The chip is a dual-program Autologic unit, but i agree with everyone else- it's the tune/tuner not the chip. I decided to go with a well-known local guy with extensive tuning experience over a shelf chip, so the tune would exactly reflect my car.

Big gains down low. At 2500 rpm:
Stock- 340 ft/lbs.
Mods/chip- 455 ft/lbs.

Not bad for $2,500 in bolt-on's :D (all #'s SAE)

dyno2.jpg

Intense

Established Member
i'll agree w/you 100%. the stock a/f is pig rich. i'll prob have mine set at 11.5-12 when i get it burnt. nice numbers BTW.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I've been waiting for someone to go to Swanson's and tune their 03 Cobra with Mods so I can glean off the info for my chip. I didn't want to be the guinea pig on this one.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by fakesnake.com
I've been waiting for someone to go to Swanson's and tune their 03 Cobra with Mods so I can glean off the info for my chip. I didn't want to be the guinea pig on this one.

Fakesnake,

Completely off topic, but what did you pay for your HRE's if you don't mind me asking?

Friendchicken

Wouldn't it be better if the car was broken in properly for 5,000 mi before adding mods and chip? I know that the engine opens up a bit once broken in and your a/f would be different when new vs broken in.

It's going to take me over a year to get about 5k mi on the car, but I think it would make the most of chip programming in the end.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
It only took me 3 months to hit 10k miles. Ouch!

Networking Guru- too much- about $1,500 a corner.

OUCH. Yea, that was what I expected, but I LOVE HRE's, so I was hoping you had a line on some that fell off of the truck :)

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)

Me either- he'd already done several cars by the time I got my tune yesterday. A sonic blue 03 stopped by during my session to tell Danny how well it his was running with the new chip (with just a K&N, exhaust & BBK TB- 420+ rwhp). Danny also has a white (with chrome rims) 03 that he's been tuning for a couple weeks, and said he has the power up from mid 350's to 390, BONE stock, paper filter and all.

Danny's also been tuning Mustangs, and Lightinings (he owns a nice L too) for many years. Consider this- on the first pull (002)with the chip, the a/f was PERFECT right outta the gate. I'm not saying he's an expert with the 03's, and you might get a little more power from a Diablo or JDM chip, but the tune is as safe as you want it to be- and it's for YOUR car. Plus it was worth it just to see my own car respond to the varous tuning options we tried, and what things did what to the power curve. :)

fakesnake.com

Established Member
Danny's been tuning my cars for about 5-6 years. I have spent many a $$ on the dyno. This time around I wanted someone else to get their 03 fine tuned with a chip on dyno time first. Glad to hear he's been working on some 03's. I was in there about a month ago and he hadn't had any pullied 03's in yet.

Users who are viewing this thread