This is where our money goes...

VettTheRipper

Big Honkin' Diesel
Established Member
The following is out of the 2005 Report from Congress. We're always hearing how much this or that costs but rarely get to see the big picture. This is the first time I've seen it laid out like this...

8229pie_chart1-med.JPG

What shocked me the most is the amount we spend on social programs. If there was ever a doubt as to whether Social Security needs to be changed...this is one strong arguement.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
that's a nice little pie chart....is it out of Stars and Stripes or something?

ViciousJay

Established Member
You forgot the a piece goes to there pocket and dont anybody try to tell me otherwise, cuz we all know they gotta grease there pockets a little

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
I wonder how much 'homeland security' is out of that Discretionary part of the pie. That should be bundled with defense IMO, which would make that the fattest piece of the pie.

VettTheRipper

Big Honkin' Diesel
Established Member
LBguy said:
I wonder how much 'homeland security' is out of that Discretionary part of the pie. That should be bundled with defense IMO, which would make that the fattest piece of the pie.

Interestingly enough...

8229graph1-med.JPG

TnPaulMan

Banned
LBguy said:

You just got owned. Bring your liberal thoughts somewhere else.

VettTheRipper

Big Honkin' Diesel
Established Member
TnPaulMan said:
You just got owned. Bring your liberal thoughts somewhere else.

Actually, my intent was not to "own" him and I wondered the same thing but I guess when you look at it. Homeland security funds are a different animal.

VettTheRipper

Big Honkin' Diesel
Established Member
From what I understand, discretionary spending covers things like tsunami relief funds, foreign aid, and other unexpected expenses. Social security is another place where congress typically borrows from when they can't figure out where to get the money from. It's one of the reasons why many in Congress are opposed to SS reform.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I wonder on the discretionary how much is actually towards education. The fact that education doesn't have it's on piece of the pie, shows that something is wrong. Social Security........not to show disrespect to the old folk, but children and education is our future, not old people.

Defense will obviously fluctuate quite a bit depending on if we're at war or not so I'm not concerned about that. Give our soldiers as much help as they need. They deserve it.

406 'velle

Established Member
no politician will try to cut out social security. know why? because elderly people vote more than any other group in the united states. to **** with their check every month is political suicide.

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
i personally think that chart is for us think on how they are spending our money. i think it's a little more different than that or "alot" more than that...

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
406 'velle said:
no politician will try to cut out social security. know why? because elderly people vote more than any other group in the united states. to **** with their check every month is political suicide.
Bush is on his second term now, he needs to do something about it. He needs to go talk to someone in the House or Senate about writing out a bill. It's not like he's gonna be re-elected or anything.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
VettTheRipper said:
Interestingly enough...

8229graph1-med.JPG

...not surprising at the first data point on that bar chart. In 1953 we were less than a decade out from the largest scale conflict we had ever participated in, and were looking at another. We had not had enough time to significantly demilitarize yet.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Or the fact that the Cold War was in its infancy (sp?)...

BTW, I love the Conspiracy Theory people....BTW...where's Jeff?:burnout:

CarpetCityCobra said:
...not surprising at the first data point on that bar chart. In 1953 we were less than a decade out from the largest scale conflict we had ever participated in, and were looking at another. We had not had enough time to significantly demilitarize yet.

Users who are viewing this thread