This is the easiest way to remove rear springs 94-98 Cobra.

Triple Black

Established Member
This is the easy way to remove rear springs 94-98 svt.

My Cobra sat kind of ass-high, so I wanted just drop the rear 1.5" to give it a more level look. Jacked the car up and supported both sides with jack stands on the rear subframe. I was going to do the stadard lowering of the lower control arm to remove the springs, so I began to remove the bolt that holds the control arm to the axle. Used a little pb blaster and was able to get the nut off the bolt, but absolutely could not remove the bolt, largely due to the age of the car. Probably could have removed it if I could have hit it with a hammer, but the rotor prevents this.
I remember reading somewhere that you could drop the axle low enough to get the springs out by disconnecting the top of the rear shocks (located behind panels in trunk) and by disconnecting the quad shock at the axle, so I put a jack under the dog-bone and jacked the rear end up enough to take the pressure off the shocks, took the bolts off the shocks and the quads and lowered the jack and sure enough it dropped the axle enough for me to pry bar both springs out relatively easy. You can have a friend put some pressure on the side you are working on to lower the axle a little more. Makes it even easier.
For my purposes and budget, I just cut one coil off of each spring(CUT FROM THE TOP, IF YOU CUT FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE SPRING IT MAKES THE PIG TAIL REALLY WIDE FOR THE SPRING PERCH. THIS IS MY OPINION SO DONT GIVE ME SHIT.) resused the stock isolators and reinstalled the springs. Buttoned everything up and the car sits nice and level now. So if you have a older mustang and dont want to spend an inordinate amount of time wrestling with that damned lower control arm bolt, this is the way to go.

Last edited:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
That's how I've always removed the rear springs, disconnecting the shocks at the axle mounting points. Never heard of anyone unbolting the control arm to do it, seems like way too much of a hassle to me.

Triple Black

Established Member
That's how I've always removed the rear springs, disconnecting the shocks at the axle mounting points. Never heard of anyone unbolting the control arm to do it, seems like way too much of a hassle to me.
Seems like every video out there shows guy's lowering the control arm to get the spring out. Heck even some PDF stuff and how-too;s on other forums, so I figured Id share my experience. Hell, so far as I know, this may be a topic that has been beat to death.

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
Seems like every video out there shows guy's lowering the control arm to get the spring out. Heck even some PDF stuff and how-too;s on other forums, so I figured Id share my experience. Hell, so far as I know, this may be a topic that has been beat to death.

No it hasn't, thanks for the heads up.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Support from suframe, Prybar.

I don't even remember the last time I took the shock bolt out.

Just watch out for flying springs this way.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Can't you rent spring compressors from your local Autozone? I'd hate to have one of those things come flying out at me.

Triple Black

Established Member
Can't you rent spring compressors from your local Autozone? I'd hate to have one of those things come flying out at me.
If you do it as I outlined, there isnt enough pressure on the spring to send it flying. If you just let the rear end hang without undoing the shocks, I dont know. BTW I found it easier to pry out the spring toward the inside of the car. Going back in found it easier to do the opposite. I could wrestle them back in without a pry bar after cutting the springs.

4vRedone

Banned
is this suppose to be new news? because i dont know anyone that doesnt do this ive done this on like 3 different cars i guess i shouldve posted this a long time ago... SPRING COMPRESSORS SUCK! In alot of cases they are more dangerous then a pry bar.

Triple Black

Established Member
is this suppose to be new news? because i dont know anyone that doesnt do this ive done this on like 3 different cars i guess i shouldve posted this a long time ago... SPRING COMPRESSORS SUCK! In alot of cases they are more dangerous then a pry bar.
Before I attempted to lower my car, I did a lot of searches and what not before hand and didnt find anything direct and to the point about how to go about it. In fact as I stated previously, most of what I found indicated to remove the spring by lowering the rear control arm. I'm sure to a lot of you Guys, that I am stating the obvious. I started this thread to help those of us who are less informed about such matters.

Last edited:

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Before I attempted to lower my car, I did a lot of searches and what not before hand and didnt find anything direct and to the point about how to go about it. In fact as I stated previously, most of what I found indicated to remove the spring by lowering the rear control arm. I'm sure to a lot of you Guys, that I am stating the obvious. I started this thread to help those of us who are less informed about such matters.

As everyone posted, unbolt the shock from the sra and slowly lower down the axle, the way you are going isn't incorrect or wrong, just a longer time consuming process. Wear safety glasses IMO lol

bergz22

Established Member
+1 on this ^^^^ It isn't that bad or unsafe, just have to be careful. Ford tech's don't use spring compressors or unbolt the arms. Time is money on book time, I've seen ford techs use ratchet straps to pull the dashes back to change a heater core instead of unbolting and disconnecting everything.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Interesting. I see that it might be easier this way. I had to do the above process plus unbolt the stock upper control arms to pull out the stock catback without cutting anything. So I see how removing the springs this way is easier than removing the control arm. Too bad I already did this like 4 times by undoing the control arm lol.

I think its great you brought this topic up OP.

gq916

Established Member
installing lowering springs in the rear has to be one of the easiest things on our cars..when i did mine, i just remember taking off the rim and unbolting the shock from the bottom and poowwwww i had enough room to take out the spring...

Users who are viewing this thread