This is REAL Road Kill.........

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Punky kids...

"My dad's gonna be pissed"

I wonder who spent the money on the car??

Did he redline launch?

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
What does he expect, look how many times he bounced the damn thing off the rev limiter at the light then even while he was trying to race. :smmon:

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Here is what he had to say:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The story:

I was headed to work yesterday morning with my friend Brian. We spotted a new E46 M3 up ahead on the highway. He was turning right at a stoplight, so we decided to take a detour.

As we followed suit, I gunned it and got up next to him in the left lane. I paced him for a couple seconds and gave him a big smile. Just then a stoplight turned red in front of us and we slowed to a stop. I looked over at the M3 owner and pointed forward. He acknowledged with a head nod so I knew it was on.

Brian had grabbed the video camera minutes before and had been taping the entire event. He kept the camera low so the driver wouldn't see it. We didn't want to spook the guy out of the race. M3 owners never seem to race me up here in Northern VA.

The traffic signal for the opposing turn lane turned yellow, then red. I pressed the accelerator to the floor and my launch limiter kept the revs at a very noisy 5500 RPMs. I wasn't looking at the M3 owner's face at this point, but I'm assuming he was getting a bit nervous.

The light turns green and I let the clutch up quickly. I didn't sidestep it, as I was still worried about my new transmission (I had just shattered my center differential two weeks before). The clutch slipped ever so slightly, all four tires gripped the pavement, and I was off with zero wheelspin from my brand new 225/45ZR17 Kumho Ecsta Supra tires.

The M3 driver was just as alert. He had been inching forward the entire time and actually began accelerating a fraction of a second before me. This didn't help him much though. By the end of first gear, which winds out almost immediately, the M3 was just behind my front bumper.

After a loud backfire (running rich as hell) I granny shifted into 2nd (still babying the tranny) and wound out 2nd gear. The M3 was falling back fast and was about two cars behind at this point. Third gear was coming up and I was excited, because it is definitely my power gear. I found 3rd and began to pull away even harder, and then it happened.

Screws were thrown into my exhaust pipe. At least that's what it sounded like. My heart sunk to the bottom of my chest. I knew what the horrible sound really was. My completely stock shortblock with 78,000 miles finally gave out.

I hadn't gotten my car to the dyno yet, but conservative estimates were somewhere just above 450 bhp at the flywheel, untuned. That's about 112 hp per piston/rod. If you have any doubts about these numbers, just watch the video of the destruction.

I knew it was going to happen sometime, but I sure didn't expect it at that moment. I had tuned the car conservatively and was running rich. My EGTs had only peaked at about 880 deg C, I had no detonation, I was running only 18 psi, and I had not even added any additional spark timing advance. (Mods are listed in my sig and on my webpage.) I guess 78,000 miles of hard driving, 50 or so clutch dumps, around 10 drag strip runs, a few road racing events, ten or so autocrosses did it in.

I limped over to the side of the road as the M3 driver passed me by with an astonished look on his face. I got out of the car and sat on the grass for a few minutes, contemplating what had just happened. In retrospect, that was a good thing to do. I didn't need dents in the side of my door, and I definitely didn't need a broken foot.

So the flatbed came and towed the car back to my house. The beast had left a lake coolant and oil where she rested. Brian and I went back to the scene of the disaster later in the day and discovered the bottom portion of a connecting rod and a thumb-size chunk of iron block. These two pieces were only a small hint of the destruction we would uncover later in the day after we removed the cylinder head.

Once we got home from work, we removed the head in just over an hour. What we uncovered was easily the worst carnage we had ever seen as a result of a bent connecting rod. The entire engine block and all its internal components literally disintegraed.

Schrapnel from exploding pistons and bearings was shot out the back of the iron block into the firewall (which was the loud sound we heard inside the car). The balance shaft was smashed through the rear of the block, creating a hand-size hole through which the crankshaft was easily visible. Multiple connecting rods were bent, twisted, melted, etc. Pistons were completely mangled and cylinder two had a silver-dollar size hole in the cylinder wall.

All in all, it could have been much worse (really!), as the damage was localized to the short block. Surprisingly, the cylinder head was untouched, except two very small nicks on the exhaust valves of the number one cylinder. No significant metal fragments exited my exhaust, as my exhaust turbine fins were untouched.

In goes the race block w/ forged internals. This sure was a learning experience. I was hoping the stock block would hold up for a bit longer, but oh well.

If you got this far, thanks for reading. Please do not start saying anything about the validity of any of my comments. Everything happened as I stated it (to the best of my recollection), and the M3 driver was definitely racing me. I'm sorry if you don't believe me for some reason.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed that! I will post again when we get the block out of the car and we can remove more pistons/rods/bearings from the oil pan! Yay!!! I will also post the install of my new motor if anyone is interested. Let me know if you all have any problems downloading or viewing the videos. I will be posting them in different resolutions and formats (hopefully MPG) tomorrow, along with pics of the carnage.

Chris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I guess those DSM blocks arent as strong as they claim!!

Also I really love that dudes long pinky fingernail for snorting.

Maybe he snorted before he blew up his engine ;-)

raptorman02

Established Member
Ouch

Those cars are definetly bad for their size buts its when people like that guy get them and build them without a clue thats funny. Then again I might be that same guy soon, I am building my Girlfriends GST Spyder right now, we just took it off the lift after putting a complete exhaust on it. I have to admit after what my Bassani cost they sure are more affordable to fix up than my cobra. Still won't hang with the snake though :)

Last edited:

FlatZ28

++Crocodile_Hunter
Established Member
I'm still laughing Bits of sushi anyone HA HA HA!!!!
It's no problem though, they can wrap that up in seaweed, and it'll be all better. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread