this is gonna be fuuuuun!!!!!!!

snakebittn

Established Member
Alright let's start with the basics. I got a 1998 mustang cobra currnetly with a blown motor......... doesnt matter cause I wasn't planning on using it for anything anyway. I am currently in an indecisive state at this point on what I should do. I want to stay modular and everything but I want something extremely faaaaast. Now I have quite a few questions.
1. What would be the best way to go a shm motorsports longblock, or build my own?
2. Should I stay with the 4.6 litre or go with the more torquefilled 5.4?
3. If I did go with the 5.4 I would want to get a navigator engine and use my heads..... good idea or not? And how hard would it be to fabricate an intake that would work?
4. Last question....... Should I say screw the modular stuff and go old school like 302 stroked or 351?

I want to run at least in the low 12's but shooting for the 11s

All help is appreciated. Thanks

myblk32v

Established Member
my vote is a stroker 5.0 Modular. Gives you a little more torque and being able to say youve got a 5.0 modular is just bad ass.

Dino S.

Established Member
If I had the $ I'd definitely drop a box stock lightning engine in my car. You need a Cobra R or equivalent hood cause of clearance and a few other tricks to make it work. Few cheapie mods to the L motor and it'll teach you what torque is all about.

Also, somehow it just seems wrong to me to put a pushrod motor in a modular car.

love bandit2

Established Member
Originally posted by Dino S.
If I had the $ I'd definitely drop a box stock lightning engine in my car. You need a Cobra R or equivalent hood cause of clearance and a few other tricks to make it work. Few cheapie mods to the L motor and it'll teach you what torque is all about.

Also, somehow it just seems wrong to me to put a pushrod motor in a modular car.

I've seen low milage lightning egines for under 4 grand (complete with supercharger and acessories) thats pretty cheap

99SVTSnake

Established Member
I love the idea of a L motor in a Cobra, but would you have to stick with the auto tranny as well? I know the L will only bolt up to the biggest auto tranny offered in the F-150's. I can't remember the name of it though, it is something like 4R100. Or could you bolt the L motor up to a T-45 or T-56?

Rich

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
You can get what you want out of your 4.6...Just forge your internals and put the boost or juice to it....I don't see why you'd want another engine for...(Higher displacement....)Just rebuild yours with some good rods and pistons...

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
the 4.6 will handle it. build what you have. The block and crank are good for 1000hp. get a good rod piston kit, hog the hell out of the heads and intake, run about 20-25psi of boost and you got your self a rocket on 4wheels.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Doug
the 4.6 will handle it. build what you have. The block and crank are good for 1000hp. get a good rod piston kit, hog the hell out of the heads and intake, run about 20-25psi of boost and you got your self a rocket on 4wheels.

He'll have a smoke show.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
How did you blow the motor?

How much money are you willing to spend?

David H can hook you up with a 5.4 if you are leaning in that direction.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Hanging the L motor on the nose of an SN-95 is almost a lost cause. Yes they are great motors. They weigh much much more than the aluminum NA 4V motor. You'd have to add 100lbs of lead to the rear to make some type of traction. MM&FF did this swap already, it was a very nose heavy car. That is just bad for launching.

If you don't plan on budget restrictions, I'd go with the VT 3.7 bore block. The larger bore blocks seem to work better than the stroked motors. Add the good forged internals and ARP hardware and that should hold gobs of power. Next add a single turbo for the power you're looking for. 11's won't be a problem with slicks.

COBRASVT

Established Member
You have the best block/crank you can ask for...aluminum is light and make for a great built combo....the new Cobra motor would be nice because it's factory built, but you can have the same goodies on the inside and a lightweight block to boost...

Ford only stopped using them because of the expense...don't let anyone tell you different.

Build it and go...

snakebittn

Established Member
well thanks for all the help. and im still kinda undecided... but to answer your question poiznus i have no clue one day i crank her up and hear a pretty loud knocking and then the next day i find myself under it taking out the tranny and finding a large hole on the passenger side and a smaller one on the drivers then a fairly nice sized one in the oil pan, and needless to say the motor is now out and sittin on a jackstand at a friends house and i'm in the process of taking the heads off as i type. well thanks for all your help and soon she'll be runnin again. while shes down im doing some exterior styling modifications. white rims and a couple other things but its gonna look sweeeeet. well thanks one last time. later

snakebittn

Established Member
hold on wait a second i just liked what i saw at that vt engine place........ the cobra big bore block sounds like what im lookin for. well im pretty sure ive made up my mind with that one too. well thanks again.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
I can hook you up with a nice block. I have my reasons for not going with the big bore, but it is your decision. Let me know if there is something I might can help you out with. I have a set of heads somewhere around here that have been reworked also.

snakebittn

Established Member
awesome i might have to take you up. what kind of block? and reworked i dont know what you mean by that. And how come you don't like the big bore? I'm just curious never really heard too much about em till here lately, they sounded good and I liked the numbers I saw. Thanks again man.

Users who are viewing this thread