Thirsty Superduty!

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
I apologize in advance for the long post, but I am sure many of you feel my frustration, hence the reasoning for the background.

I am historically meticulous about not having food, smoke or drink in my vehicles, the stang has never had anything consumed in it, and my daily driver king ranch f150 has only had snacks consumed in it.

I picked the most expensive of my vehicles to break my rule in. 09 F450 XLT 6.4 with cloth seats.

I never go to mainstream coffee places as I don't understand the hype or the endless amount of people lined up like cattle. However, we had family over and I decided to go for an early morning cruise and get some coffee that they all love.*

I was already flustered trying to park a dually in a retail zone clearly designed for nothing bigger than a Fiat. (love our urban planners!)*

They gave me six coffees, four filling up one tray and two side by side in another tray. Whups.*

Ford seemed to eliminate the dash mounted cup holders on my model, with only the armrest cup holders. So getting into the truck I position the one tray on the floor with the other two on the armrest, and of course it tips over onto the passenger seat.

I grabbed the tray and one cup was still sealed, and the other was empty, looking at the passenger seat was the coffee that was in it previously. I was actually shocked, it just vanished in literally a second... The seat just chugged every last drop of it and is now completely saturated.

It completely reeks and I am concerned as there was dairy in the coffee.

What is the best method of removal? Can I remove the foam from under the seat or am I SOL?

Much appreciated and lesson learned.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Throw some towels on the seat and then put the truck to work? I'd assume it's a work truck being an F450.

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
It's a work truck and for the long haul towing trips so it has to be clean and not stinky inside with passengers / my customers from overseas. Towel was to no avail, I think I may need to get a new seat bottom

SNCBOOM

Established Member
At the very worst you could replace the whole front bench, we did that in my dad's superduty due to wear. That would be an expensive mistake though. Hopefully there is an easier way :beer:

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
True but that's the character of this truck, everything is expensive haha.

I'm really looking at minimizing the effect of the spill... If I have to cover it up slightly that's fine but I just am scared of the dairy in the coffee mostly. Otherwise I would have gotten some "espresso" air fresheners to accentuate it haha

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Take it to a professional detailer they see that sort of thing all the time. They can likely get the stain out and tell you if the foam needs replacing. If the foam needs replacing an upholstery shop should be able to fix you up.

oldmodman

Established Member
I tried to help out a neighbor that had a leaky quart of milk soak into her passenger seat. The whole quart. I tried an extractor, a steam cleaner, and lots of different cleaners and nothing worked.

Until.......

I took the seat out of the car. Disassembled the seat bottom and put it into a huge tray of water. Deep enough to cover the entire seat bottom. Let it soak up all the warm, soapy water it could. The took it out and sat on it! Repeated four more times with soapy water, then five more times to rinse. Then after sitting on it and trying to squish all the water out I used an extractor (a really powerful vacuum) to get every bit of water out that I could. Then left it propped up with two fans blowing on it. For two days. After that, no smell at all.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I tried to help out a neighbor that had a leaky quart of milk soak into her passenger seat. The whole quart. I tried an extractor, a steam cleaner, and lots of different cleaners and nothing worked.

Until.......

I took the seat out of the car. Disassembled the seat bottom and put it into a huge tray of water. Deep enough to cover the entire seat bottom. Let it soak up all the warm, soapy water it could. The took it out and sat on it! Repeated four more times with soapy water, then five more times to rinse. Then after sitting on it and trying to squish all the water out I used an extractor (a really powerful vacuum) to get every bit of water out that I could. Then left it propped up with two fans blowing on it. For two days. After that, no smell at all.

LOL! You're a good neighbor, it mighta been easier to just buy a new cushion.

oldmodman

Established Member
LOL! You're a good neighbor, it mighta been easier to just buy a new cushion.

Ha!

Anyone can replace a part.

It takes a "insert derogatory term here" to do a proper repair job.

Plus, it was a really hot day! Just like sitting in an extra comfy kiddy pool.

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member

Until.......

This seems like itwould be a really effective method, essentially flushing the foam good advice

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
I had good results cleaning an entire carton of OJ out of my wife's front passenger seat, by taking the seat out, rinsing with warm water and extracting with a carpet cleaner until the water was clear. Never smelled it again.

03cobraaa

Established Member
Post up some pics of the 6.4. 450's are gorgeous. But i would take the seat apart while rising the foam out with water, use a carpet extract, then a dehumidifier. Worked for me :shrug:. Good luck with it!

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
If you are able to soak up most of the fluid and you are worried with just the smell try to locate a local auto detailing business that has an Ozone Machine. That should be able to get rid of any lasting odor.

mach14604

Established Member

Until.......

My three year old spilled milk in my wifes Escape last month. This is almost exactly what I did. I rented a rug doctor which really helped things out. Good luck it wasted an entire sunday and thursday night.

Users who are viewing this thread