Thinking trading my 2013 5.0 for a 2010 gt500

Chrisc35

Established Member
Any suggestions before I pull the trigger? its a 2010 grabber blue gt500 only has 2k miles and its going for 40k. anything I should worry about or expect about the car. should I do it and why not if so

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Probably going to lose your shirt on the 5.0 since its so new though.

blackvette101

Established Member
thats a great deal. My brother just paid 44k for an 11 with 4k miles.

What are your plans for the car. If your going to leave it stock I would say no. It's kind of dissapointing stock. If your going to do bolt ons or other mods you should definately do the swap. These things are animals and will add power for cheaper then a 5.0 could only dream about.

SVTFOREVER2008

Established Member
thats a great deal. My brother just paid 44k for an 11 with 4k miles.

What are your plans for the car. If your going to leave it stock I would say no. It's kind of dissapointing stock. If your going to do bolt ons or other mods you should definately do the swap. These things are animals and will add power for cheaper then a 5.0 could only dream about.

^^^x2

YELL03

Established Member
I don't think you will regret it.
I think you might be able to do a little better on the price.

I have a 2011 GT500 Convertible, I bought it 4/2013 with 22K miles on it for $38975, I traded in my 2012 5.0 automatic with low miles, they gave me $22,000 for the 5.0.

My 75 year old father has a 2013 5.0 manual tranny, I drove it two days ago.

The 5.0s are plenty fast and respond to mods very well, but the looks, feel, and low end grunt of the GT500 makes it much more fun to drive.

djervin

Established Member
That is great mileage, a great price (as mentioned you can probably get it a little cheaper), and a desired color. Also, when my 2010 was stock it was not disappointing....

rwboring

Established Member
I can see both sides to this... the GT500 would add power better but

1. the 5.0's are still getting great track times
2. blower would be cheaper
3. 2013 has better electronic technology then the 2010's if you like that kind of thing

Personally I would have a hard time trading for a car that is 3 years older. Especially when you're increasing your money out of pocket (or loan)

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Depends on what you want to do. The GT500 with simple bolts on, and a choice of the 3 blowers will put you in a power range SAFELY that the 5.0 can only dream about. The GT500 at the end of the day is a SHELBY. What that is worth is arguable, but I think that may mean something later.

The 13 GT has newer tech, and is a nice car. With a blower, it can get the job done.
So its up to you......ask yourself why you are looking at the Shelby. If it is because you wanna go fast RELIABLY, then by all means, buy the Shelby.

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
Well if you look at the road kill section, it seems like the 5.0s are the cars to have. I saw a thread in the 11-14 mustang section that outlined the fact that the 5.0 is a better car than the gt500 period. I would stick with the 5.0 if I were you, i am actually contemplating getting rid of my 11 gt500 for a 14 5.0. I spent thousands of dollars on getting my gt500 to take a C6z and it seems like most 5.0 guys only need simple bolt ons.

ZX6Ray

Established Member
GT500's fully forged rotating assembly can handle more power reliably than the 5.0.

40K for a 2010? Wait until late November or December and you can get a 2012 for roughly the same price while retaining the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Well if you look at the road kill section, it seems like the 5.0s are the cars to have. I saw a thread in the 11-14 mustang section that outlined the fact that the 5.0 is a better car than the gt500 period. I would stick with the 5.0 if I were you, i am actually contemplating getting rid of my 11 gt500 for a 14 5.0. I spent thousands of dollars on getting my gt500 to take a C6z and it seems like most 5.0 guys only need simple bolt ons.

I would not take what is posted in the road kill section as actual events of facts. Sure the 5.0 is nice, and yes with bolts on's it can move out. For the price, and what you can do to it, its a popular platform.

But lets keep this in perspective. Sure, it can take a few cars that think it cannot run with it exp if its modded. Weight, power, it is a good combo. Sure it can take older 07~09 complete STOCK GT500's if it has mods. But now lets do a typical mod of a GT500. Pulley, Tune, Intake. Well now its game over. Now lets toss a blower on the GT. Ok..its close again. Now lets toss a TVS or whatever float your boat on the GT500. Its game over again. The Gt500 will take that upgrade and basically laugh at 650+ WHP. You take a GT to the 600+ level and your living on borrow time. Ask me how I know.....I have seen a 12 GT making 610 go boom.....with a very large hole in the block for their troubles.

Now any car can issues. But this is why I said its what you want to do with the car. The GT is nice, but in the end, its not a Shelby. Depending on what your end goal is, you need to make the decision base upon that. This way you can be happy no matter what you decide.

smooth8543

Established Member
As a 2010 GT500 owner myself, I say do it! Nothing better than being the guy behind the wheel of a Shelby.

91z28350

Established Member
There is definitely something to be said for owning a Shelby. I would hold out for an 11 or 12, wait a month and you will be able to get them easily for 40K.

Chrisc35

Established Member
Thanks guys for the help. I'm still thinking about it idk if I should pull the trigger yet maybe wait a little not sure yet

Chrisc35

Established Member
Where you guys go for mods? I wanna take off the CATS, install a tune n see how much Whp ill get? With e85 as well

Last edited:

PRP

Established Member
I traded a 11 5.0 for my 12 GT500. Happy I did but damn I miss revving it to 7000 RPMs

Buy a '13! ;-)

My 6,250 comes up QUICK but 7K isn't that far off.

I took my Raptor into the dealer for some post-sale clean up and they loaned me a brand new 2012 Roush RS2 (stage 2, no ENGINE mods) 5.0.

I gotta say, I was kind of disappointed with it. It was lighter feeling and pretty nimble but I guess I'm used to the power on my '10 w/Whipple 2.9 because it felt like a slug. I did pull of a sweet 2nd gear speed shit with it and really noticed the difference in transmissions (the 5.0 was like butter) but that's about the ONLY thing I can say felt better than the older 2010 GT500.

So having driven both (and for more than just a short test drive, I had it for 5 days, I'd trade a '13 5.0 in on a 2010 or newer GT500 in a hot second. Straight across or do they want you to cough up some cash?

I had a 2011 F-150 4x4 King Ranch that I only had for about a year (just short of, IIRC) and traded it in on a lesser value 2012 F-150 Raptor. I took a BATH on it to the tune of nearly $20K. I was able to transfer all of my warranty type stuff over but it still cost me.

I kind of regret doing it, but only because it was really stOOpid of me to toss $20K into the wind.

And the wind was at my back.....

So I'm guessing you will lose about the same, or just under?

Phill

Users who are viewing this thread