thinking of trading my '11 5.0 for a 11-12 gt500..have questions.

stang1971

Established Member
i bought my auto 5.0 because i raced alot... since then KC has lost a race track.. i dont race anymore so im thinking of going back to a manual.. I have always wanted a gt500 and the funds will be here soon to make that happen. What are the "must have" mods to make say...650 at the rear wheels? i plan to set aside 10k for mods, both motor and suspension. I am sorry if this has been asked many times..i searched but never found any real answers to my questions.

stang1971

Established Member
what about a 91 tune... 91 is alot easier to find then 93. why a tvs over whipple?

Kewlv8

Established Member
i bought my auto 5.0 because i raced alot... since then KC has lost a race track.. i dont race anymore so im thinking of going back to a manual.. I have always wanted a gt500 and the funds will be here soon to make that happen. What are the "must have" mods to make say...650 at the rear wheels? i plan to set aside 10k for mods, both motor and suspension. I am sorry if this has been asked many times..i searched but never found any real answers to my questions.

TVS or Whipple will get you 650+Rwhp, add suspension and you still have $5k left to take the girl to the Bahamas. Welcome the crazy cheap mods on the GT500. I will go with the TVS as the TVS will have more torque at low RPMs but lack the peak capability of the Whipple which is fine by me. I want to feel the power without being at redline. TVS has better fitment than the Whipple, no sealant needed, and no need to lower the motormounts. Also, the TVS will not need a fuel pump replacement, but as you said you are likely capped at 660-700HP. Go with the TVS, and put the rest into suspension and bling...... FWIW :thumbsup:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/777616-vmp-tvs-2-9-whipple.html

stang1971

Established Member
awesome... keep the suggestions coming...if i can sell mine locally then i plan on buying from svtp.... after all the awesome helpful tips everyone has on this site..might as well help someone out who needs to sell theirs.

KidMoney

Established Member
Why does everyone suggest the VMP over the 13 TVS? I've asked this a few times without a veey goos answer. Aren't they both capable of the same power?

Kewlv8

Established Member
Why does everyone suggest the VMP over the 13 TVS? I've asked this a few times without a veey goos answer. Aren't they both capable of the same power?

The VMP comes a bit more tricked out (machined snout for smaller pulley means no need to mess with a lower), and ported inlet. I am sure you could do the same with a 13, but getting a proven bundled package is worth it to some.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Making the power is the easy part. Putting it to the ground is the hard part. You will definitely need suspension mods. LCA, UCA, UCA mount, (or torque arm) LCA relocation, Watts link...

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
^ This........Im a TB and 127mm intake away from 640-660rwhp. On 91

I have a TVS 18psi and a TB and am short of 650. I pulled 627 with a VMP tune but maybe on a "generous" dyno you may see more. I think it is far fetched to hit a real 650 with CA 91 and 3.73s. My tune had a lot left on the table because of gas.

kozumasbullitt

Established Member

Because the VMP looks better, has a warranty and VMP goes the extra mile. Justin from VMP worked with a local shop via datalogs to dial in my tune and spent a ton of his own time doing it.

Kewlv8

Established Member
Because TVS is cheap and easy to install.

Yes, it easy and great power is available with minimal mods required if your target is below 700Rwhp. TVS is a great street blower. The fact that both TVS and Whipple camps are splitting hairs to claim dominance shows how close the blowers actually are for street applications. The larger blower obvously has a higher max capability.

Whipple 2.9L Dyno results 3.125" pulley stock exhaust 630-640rwhp - Shelby GT500 Modifications and Tech. - Team Shelby

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Because a TVS is the "it" blower right now.

Same mods, same size pulley; nope, it doesn't.

Someone else mentioned the TVS makes more torque on the bottom than a Whipple. See my statement above this line.
It's the"it" blower right now for a reason.

+1 for VMP TVS

Last edited:

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
TVS gets my vote. Especially if its gonna be a daily driver......Im making between 630-670 rwhp depending on the dyno. My mods are---- VMP TVS with the big VMP elbow, 2.4 pulley, Lethal O/R-X pipe and custom 93 tune.
I was making right at 700 rwhp with the addition of a CJ throttle body and JLT CAI. Those were borrowed to see what differeance they made. They are not on the car now.
With a 91 tune, im sure it will still be in the 600's but not by much. The 91 tunes are extremely conservative with the timing.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
It's the"it" blower right now for a reason.

The cost.

Notice SRT8Tech is making roughly the same power as me and he has an off-road X and absolutely tiny 2.4" pulley. All I have is the Whipple kit w/ 3" pulley; exhaust is 100% stock as well as injectors. I'm running a 93 octane VMP tune. I'm confident I'd be well over 700 at the tires with a pulley as small as his, but I don't want the extra heat from overdriving the blower. Not to mention decreased blower longevity from the heat and overdriving.

The VMP is a great blower, but people need to give it a rest. It's not the messiah of blowers. Sheesh! They're all good! (Unless you're talking centrifugal.)

Users who are viewing this thread