Thinking of moving up to a ported blower... questions

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
First off, I know there's a lot of information on this website, but what I'm looking for is pretty specific. I've searched this forum for the information I need, but it seems that most people are now running 9-second drag cars and have long since moved on from ported blowers. So here I am, not a rookie but still new to modifications that go beyond the common bolt-ons.

As the title states, I'm interested in moving up to a ported blower. It would be the equivalent of a Stiegemeier Stage 3 or 4. Here are my current mods:

2.76" upper
stock lower
4-piece idler set
Stieg ported stock TB and plenum
JLT CF CAI
Afco Dual Pass H/E
LFP Supertank H/E reservoir
Bassani catted x-pipe
Steeda catback
SCT Xcal 2 with custom tune
Innovate LC-1 with gauge

The setup hasn't changed at all for several years now and I haven't had any problems with it. Back then, my friend and I datalogged a few street pulls and I seem to remember that the MAF was basically pegged and the fuel pumps were running near 100% duty cycle.

So I know that when I step up to a ported blower, I will need a bigger MAF, a KB BAP and a new tune. I've been browsing the classifieds for these items, and they seem to be not too hard to find. I've got my eye on a 20A BAP and a SCT BA2600 MAF.

I'm a fan of keeping things simple, and overkill is not my cup of tea. The car needs to remain completely streetable. It rarely sees the drag strip, but when it does, I don't want any trouble there either.

What I need to know is if I'm on the right track with the parts I've picked out, and if I'm missing anything. I know there's a dozen ways to wire a KB BAP but I'll figure that out when the time comes.

Also, what else should I consider doing while the blower is off the car? Is a cooling mod a necessity for a street car or is it just an upgrade for people who are paranoid? Do I really need to switch to a High Boost CAI or is my "regular" carbon fiber CAI good enough? I have the CF CAI because it's the only one, as far as I know, that fits under my Maximum Motorsports STB. Do my stock injectors have enough of a safety margin for my intended upgrades?

It may also be worth mentioning that I'm also considering swapping to 3.73 rear gears from the stock 3.55 gears.

If there's any aspect that I've overlooked, please do let me know. I intend to upgrade my car only once I have all the parts and information on hand. The blower porting will be handled by a qualified shop, but I may do the work on the car myself.

So let's hear it! What do you think of my plan?

Phil

Last edited:

SVTDice

Established Member
Let me help you out here,

You will need the following:
KB Bap
60lb Injectors
MAF Help
New tune

That's ALL you will need for just the ported blower. That setup will be 100% Streetable besides some minor traction issues. :burnout: Also I would advise looking into cooling modifications. The Eaton's do generate alot of heat unless you plan on only driving the Cobra in cooler weather...

However, I'm going to edit what you posted in Red on what I would do if I were you. There are a few more suggestions I could give you. But you get the point.

2.76" upper
4Lb Lower
Killer chiller or a Dual Pass Heat Exchanger
4-piece idler set
JLT CF CAI <- This is fine, However many people have reported better Temps along with HP/TQ Gains with the High Boost JLT Intake
Bassani catted x-pipe
Steeda catback
Innovate LC-1 with gauge

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Let me help you out here,

You will need the following:
KB Bap
60lb Injectors
MAF Help
New tune

That's ALL you will need for just the ported blower. That setup will be 100% Streetable besides some minor traction issues. :burnout: Also I would advise looking into cooling modifications. The Eaton's do generate alot of heat unless you plan on only driving the Cobra in cooler weather...

However, I'm going to edit what you posted in Red on what I would do if I were you. There are a few more suggestions I could give you. But you get the point.

2.76" upper
4Lb Lower
Killer chiller or a Dual Pass Heat Exchanger
4-piece idler set
JLT CF CAI <- This is fine, However many people have reported better Temps along with HP/TQ Gains with the High Boost JLT Intake
Bassani catted x-pipe
Steeda catback
Innovate LC-1 with gauge

Thanks, I forgot to mention I have a Afco Dual Pass H/E already. I'll edit my OP.

SVTDice

Established Member
Thanks, I forgot to mention I have a Afco Dual Pass H/E already. I'll edit my OP.

Any time man, Well since you have the cooling mods you could easily support more boost. It really depends on how you want to have the car set up. I suggested the 4lb lower because it really makes a difference. They just happen to be a PITA to install.

Also a 2.76 & 4lb puts it in the perfect boost range of a Ported Eaton. The only set ups from that is E85, TVS, Twin screw or Turbo(s) But the last three makes it less streetable, per say.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
I've been there, done that with the ported Eaton. I was advised (and didn't listen) not to go the route of the ported blower, and to go straight to a twin screw. Looking back on it, I regret the wasted $$$ having my Eaton ported to a stage 4... the IAT2 numbers were always too high... the PCM was always pulling timing. With that said, I sold the Eaton and bought a 2.3 gen II Whipple and never looked back. The IAT2 numbers hardley ever get high enough to pull timing, and the sheer power it makes cannot be compared to a ported Eaton. With the ported Eaton I barely made 500 rwhp. Slapped on the Whipple and some 80's...657 rwhp came easily. IMO you should save your $$$ for the twin screw of your choice...you won't go wrong with that, promise. As for the supporting parts/mods, it looks as though your headed in the right direction. If you run pump gas then 60's and twin GT pumps should be fine. If you run E85, then you'll need 80's for sure. I have the BA2400 I made 657 rwhp for sale on this board if your interested....it's basically new. I bought it with the Whipple last year, and now that I've upped my boost to 20 psi, I had to go even larger. You should go with the smallest MAF you can get away with, they will give you the cleanest driveability. BTW, I highly recommend the head cooling mod. If you know someone who has one on their Cobra, feel the hose coming from the head into the cooling system....the water is VERY hot!

Users who are viewing this thread