Thinking of moving to LA area from Indiana

fst86410

Established Member
Just had a question about how or if I could get my car registered there and if there is any e85 available in the area of Rancho Cucamonga? Thanks for any help. Ill check my sig to see if its still correct as its been awhile since ive been here.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
You will have to get an illegal smog, as the car sits. Car has to have all OEM smog equipment, and any aftermarket parts must be CARB approved and have an EO number. Your F1A definitely didn't come with that lol. All OBD readiness monitors also must be turned on, active, and have no trouble codes. So there is a bit of work to pass a legal smog.

There is also a sniff test for pre-2000 cars, which your car won't pass as is.

There isn't a lot of E-85 stations out here. I can't think of them off the top of my head, but there are a couple websites that let you search for them.

fst86410

Established Member
What do you mean illegal smog? Are you talking about bribing a shop for a pass on a test? In other words there is no way my car could get plated out there.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
What do you mean illegal smog? Are you talking about bribing a shop for a pass on a test? In other words there is no way my car could get plated out there.

Thats exactly what I mean. I don't advocate for it, but thats the only way to register your car in california and not lose your F1A. You can have a legal supercharged car here, but it won't be anything like your current setup. You would have to downgrade to a D-1sc with the CARB number which means it has to be a brand new complete kit, or a used unit from someone that got it. You also obviously have to put cats and any other smog equipment back on.

Although, technically your car isn't legal anywhere.

wckdvnm

Established Member
In rancho there's is about two or three e85 stations. Issue is the smog here is bad, cars fail very easily. What he means is you would have to find someone who would pass you. I'm probably going to get my cobra registered out of state when I get really modding it because the shops that will always pass you charge outrageous amounts like $100-250

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
In rancho there's is about two or three e85 stations. Issue is the smog here is bad, cars fail very easily. What he means is you would have to find someone who would pass you. I'm probably going to get my cobra registered out of state when I get really modding it because the shops that will always pass you charge outrageous amounts like $100-250

Thats cheaper than anything i've seen people pay lol. Some of my friends I used to hang out with paid 400-500 for it. From what they told me on how they do it, it sounded pretty smart in a CYA as much as possible kind of way.

Stanger00

Established Member
Those illegal smogs may not work for a first time register due to the DMV inspection that gets done. I moved back to CA in 2010 and DMV checked my stuff out and gave me more crap about the window tint than the blower.

The smog guy in the other hand was not dealing. At that time I didn't have long tubes or cams.

You might find someone to give you a smog but before you do that get your DMV safety inspection signed off first and then get the smog completed.

Yes, 500 is what I would consider the going rate.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Just had a question about how or if I could get my car registered there and if there is any e85 available in the area of Rancho Cucamonga? Thanks for any help. Ill check my sig to see if its still correct as its been awhile since ive been here.

When I bought my cobra from out of state all they did was verify the vin number on the title to the car, it was no big deal, I went through AAA's DMV services if that matters any. Where there's a will there's a way.. Rancho is a neighboring city to me (4 miles away), I'm there all the time, very nice city. The immediate e85 stations near rancho are in the neighboring cities of Ontario, Upland and Claremont. All within 10 miles/minutes. There are stations throughout Orange County and LA county as well if your worried about not being able to get too far because of e85 supplies. The two manufactures are Propel and Pearson if you wanted to do further research on their locations. Any more questions about the area feel free to shoot me a message.

fst86410

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like it might not be worth the effort, or sell and start over once im living there. Everything Ive read about transferring the registration sounds to be a major issue for me. I know my car isn't technically legal here either. But we don't have annual inspections here or smog tests. Thinking I might just sell this car and build an old car and not have to worry about any of this crap.

As for the Rancho area I was there late spring and really liked the area. I saw some cars around and thought it might be possible to get my car "legal" out there. I will probably keep my place here in Indiana so how are the cops when it comes to out of state plates? That is something I thought about to was just renewing my plates in Indiana every year. Good to know that e85 is available.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Just a heads up as far as keeping it registered out of state goes, California does have a CHEATERS program. People can actually report you to CHP on the internet. According to this article, its apparently used by more than a few people.

Yes, this state is that shitty, that people have nothing better to do than to report out of state license plates.

https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/cheaters-out-of-state-(out-of-state-registration-violators)

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article26869720.html

Stanger00

Established Member
Just a heads up as far as keeping it registered out of state goes, California does have a CHEATERS program. People can actually report you to CHP on the internet. According to this article, its apparently used by more than a few people.

Yes, this state is that shitty, that people have nothing better to do than to report out of state license plates.

https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/cheaters-out-of-state-(out-of-state-registration-violators)

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article26869720.html

I kept my AZ tag till it expired then got CA plates. I forgot to say it was a 2 year tag, lol. If it were a daily driver then I wouldn't of let it go for 2 years. Too risky.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
My coworker actually told someone on a Facebook group who claimed to be a cop that he's been living here for years with Texas plates. Less than a week later he had a letter in the mail stating that he needed to visit the state ref within a month and had to have the car registered in California.

His 240 couldn't pass smog so he ended up parting it out and selling it before the deadline.

Stanger00

Established Member
My coworker actually told someone on a Facebook group who claimed to be a cop that he's been living here for years with Texas plates. Less than a week later he had a letter in the mail stating that he needed to visit the state ref within a month and had to have the car registered in California.

His 240 couldn't pass smog so he ended up parting it out and selling it before the deadline.

Sounds like they did your coworker a favor, haha.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Sounds like they did your coworker a favor, haha.

lol ya. He had an imported engine and ecu and some other stuff on it. It was beat up but he liked it.

I still can't believe he told someone who claimed to be a cop, lol. I told him he deserved it for being such an idiot.

fst86410

Established Member
Can't believe they actually have a program to turn people in for out of state plates... do you really think it would be a big deal for a weekend car? A couple have asked where I am. Lafayette.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Can't believe they actually have a program to turn people in for out of state plates... do you really think it would be a big deal for a weekend car? A couple have asked where I am. Lafayette.

Probably not a big deal, but you never know. My co worker had his out of state plates for a couple years before he slipped up. There is no guarantee though. There are plenty of people out here who need to find better things to do with their time.

Users who are viewing this thread