Thinking of going 8.8 - A few questions

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
What do you guys think - I have an offer on the table. My IRS with 7500 miles to be swapped for an 8.8 with 4:10s which is currently under another '03 Cobra. The 8.8 is stock and is currently under an '03 Cobra. The owner is selling his car and wants to put the IRS back in before he does so. He has even offered to do the swap for free. It's very tempting. What do you guys think?

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I really don't want 4.10's, but I'd do it just to get rid of the IRS. You could always change the gear later. If you trust the guys install, I say go for it.

Juiced-03

Established Member
The IRS is what makes the Cobra unique. No other Mustang comes with the IRS. I like the handling and ride quality of my IRS. When I drive other Mustangs it is a whole different car compared to mine. Keep your IRS unless your car is a weekly dragster.

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
I don't know the guy personally, but he does run a dyno and seems pretty well respected. I know what you mean about the 4:10s though. I don't want them either. What about the control arms and such. Are the stockers decent enough to drive around on until I upgrade? How about the axles? I know everyone seems to be swapping over to 31 spline, but will a good set of 28 spline axles do the job? I should mention that I don't get to the track very often and only run occasionally on the street. I'm just tired of worrying about blowing a half-shaft, and I'm even more tired of the wheel hop and clunk!

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
If you don't go to the track much, I'd just get some upgraded half-shafts. My goal is just to be in the 450HP range. I'm sticking with the IRS. If problems arise, I'll just beef up the IRS. If I was pushing 500RWHP or more and went to the track a lot, I'd be looking into a solid-rear swap.

Users who are viewing this thread