thinking of doing my own tuning, sctprp good?

ctgreddy

Established Member
Well I'm thinking of trying to learn to tune my own car. I can get free tuning from work, but I'd like to try it on my own, this way I dont need to ask my boss to come in on a weekend to do my car all the time. He did however say he'd help me with basics and if I got stuck anywhere. for those of you who use the sct pro racer package how is it? I have all winter to monkey around with it and learn what everything is.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've been using the PRP for a few years and like it. I'll admit I still don't know everything, but I'm pretty decent. I'm happy with it, but I've never tried any other software.

ctgreddy

Established Member
^ do you think I should invest in that tuning book I've heard of? I haven't looked it up to see what it costs but might be a good read. Like I said my boss said he's willing to help me with it but he's really busy so I dont want to try and bother him too much.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Im just venturing into that world. So far the PRP software seems easy enough to use after a few minutes, its knowing what to log and what to change to correct it so Id definitely read any good tuning info you can get your hands on and having a knowledgeable person nearby is awesome. If your boss knows PRP stuff and is GOOD with it, thatd be reason enough to go that route for me

I put a couple of tuning books on my wish list for christmas (might actually have time to read them then)

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Yea get ahold of Don at Lasota racing. He will set you up with everything you need! I have been doing it for over a year now and love it. No one cares about your car more than you!

ctgreddy

Established Member
Im just venturing into that world. So far the PRP software seems easy enough to use after a few minutes, its knowing what to log and what to change to correct it so Id definitely read any good tuning info you can get your hands on and having a knowledgeable person nearby is awesome. If your boss knows PRP stuff and is GOOD with it, thatd be reason enough to go that route for me

I put a couple of tuning books on my wish list for christmas (might actually have time to read them then)

He doesn't use sct too much he has other software for fords that he said is more in depth that he uses, but it's also a lot more complicated. But he knows the sct stuff good still.

DetroitSVT

Established Member
I agree with DSG2003Mach1. Software is very easy to use, but knowing "what to with it" is the complicated part. Having someone who can show you the basics in a "real world" atmosphere would be a great asset to have.

watman02

Established Member
DO IT DO IT, I really like PRP and for the most part enjoyed tuning it myself. now I really like being able to make changes at the track I just wish my stock long block could take more power

ctgreddy

Established Member
Yes I'm deffinitely going to give it a shot. I ordered a laptop last week, and am trying to get a good price on the software since I know we sell a lot of sct stuff.

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
Didn't read the entire thread, but when I was learning to tune my turbocharged 2jz-gte I learned a lot from these 2 books early on.

How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems (Motorbooks Workshop): Jeff Hartman: 9780760315828: Amazon.com: Books

Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems (Engineering and Performance): Corky Bell: 9780837601601: Amazon.com: Books

Then the forums over at EFI101.com have a vast wealth of information and knowledgeable guys... The EFI classes are also great if you're serious about it.

WildCobra

KOTS
Established Member
Didn't read the entire thread, but when I was learning to tune my turbocharged 2jz-gte I learned a lot from these 2 books early on.

How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems (Motorbooks Workshop): Jeff Hartman: 9780760315828: Amazon.com: Books

Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems (Engineering and Performance): Corky Bell: 9780837601601: Amazon.com: Books

Then the forums over at EFI101.com have a vast wealth of information and knowledgeable guys... The EFI classes are also great if you're serious about it.

So did it help you :)

ctgreddy

Established Member

Well he said he learned a lot from them. I may pick up that first book. I asked my boss about tuning books to just said to stay away from Banish's as he doesn't agree with a good amount of what he thinks. I'd love to get the sct book just for the prp software but it's $150, so I may stick to the one above and give it a shot, if I cant figure it out and I end up annoying my boss with too many questions then I'll pick up that manual.

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member

Yes, that's why I recommended it.

Well he said he learned a lot from them. I may pick up that first book. I asked my boss about tuning books to just said to stay away from Banish's as he doesn't agree with a good amount of what he thinks. I'd love to get the sct book just for the prp software but it's $150, so I may stick to the one above and give it a shot, if I cant figure it out and I end up annoying my boss with too many questions then I'll pick up that manual.

Hartman's book was great, concise yet thoroughly explained the various topics of basic EFI tuning.

I'd read that and then once you know what you need to learn, check out the efi101 forum I mentioned earlier, also the Megasquirt community has a ton of free write-ups that you can learn quite a bit from.

Users who are viewing this thread