thinking of doing an L conversion to reg F150

8616v

Shakin
Established Member
I have an '03 f150 for a daily with the 5.4 and noticed its kinda lacking in the power department...so...I was woundering how much of a PITA would it be to bolt on a blower from an L and can my stock(120k) long block handle it?

I don't have any crazy power goals here...just stock L kinda HP on a budget. something to keep me entertained in the winter and have alittle fun with unsuspecting ricers...

Is this do able without spending more than...say...$2k?

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Not sure how you'd pull that off for only 2k considering you need the lower manifold, midplate, intercooler core, sc, plenum, tb, probably injectors, maybe upgrade to dual pumps (aren't reg F150's a single pump setup?), heat exchanger, intercooler pump, plugs, and even if you ran a stock pulley size you would still need to look into a handheld tuner and custom dyno tune for it.

On another note I rode last week in an expedition that had one of those magnacharger units on it. It felt pretty decent for what it was, that might be a cheaper option.

boss1984

boosted boss
Established Member
it CAN be done for around 2500..you just need to find good deals on the used parts like injectors,blower, midplate, heat exchanger..if you go to madenterprise.com, mike has a complete list of all the other things you need besides what i just mentioned for a really good price and hes a great guy to work with..reg f150's like yours and mine are single pump, but you can get a single 325lph pump that will easlily support a stock lightnings hp..i did this swap about a year ago and love it..i spent more than 3k but i bought other things like aftermarket h/e and pullies among other things..any ?'s you can pm if youd like..:beer:

you will definitely need a tuning device like sct or predator and custom tuning after the swap

Last edited:

8616v

Shakin
Established Member
yeah tuning wasn't really part of the cost i was looking...i've got that taken care from my mustang...i'm just wondering about actual parts involved.

how about the internals...will my stock crank, rods and pistons take it or would it be a bomb?

Also, will my transfer case like that kinda power?

Looking at the list there on his site it would appear that i can do this with out opening of the engine at all(to swap timing chain covers) to get everything to bolt up. correct?

Z7What