Thinking of changing cams ? Thoughts? easy !?

BIGYUSM

Established Member
So I was thinking about changing cams , I got a quote from my tuner and my wife told me to F off - since I just dropped the new engine last year. Is it an easy install ? One of my employees who builds his ricer swears we can do it Easy!
Is it worth doing ? Which ones would you go with ? And does the engine have to be pulled ?

RBB

Established Member
It would in no way be considered easy. Engine doesn't have to be dropped, but that gives you a lot more space to work with. It's much more involved than changing the cams on your buddy's Honda. Like Hillbilly said, you better do your research beforehand and make sure you have everything squared away.

There are a lot of nice cams out there. JDM SS, L&M, BPS. I love my JDM cams....make good power and sound great.

BIGYUSM

Established Member
I've been reading more and more - seems very involved and difficult actually. I'm gonna have to hold off - I don't trust myself and a friend to do it -
And I am not allowed to drop $6k more on my car. Wife might kill me. Ha

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It's doable. There are a few special tools that will make the job easier, if not possible. Getting a cam that necessitates the need to change valve springs, complicates that whole process, but again doable. As part of that install, it would be worthwhile to upgrade the secondary timing sprockets and chains with Cloyes upgrades. MMR's billet crank gear is also a worthwhile replacement, but will require removing the chain cover. This isn't an afternoon project.

BIGYUSM

Established Member
It's above my threashold of knowledge or risk I'm willing to take. The quote I got included valve springs. I'll save it for another time - too soon after the engine replacement - wife still sees the money I dropped then. And it's too much for me to do it without her knowing. Lol

BIGYUSM

Established Member
Thanks ! That's awesome ! I'm
Still a little iffy on it - I know we could do it. But damn - I don't think I'm willing to do it yet. I'm gonna talk to my buddy to determine. I could save tons if I do it myself. I really don't want to do anything else after this either. That's the last thing - proabbaly !

Users who are viewing this thread