Thinking of buying a used Jeep Wrangler.

sparky701

Established Member
What are the pros and cons of wranglers? I just need it to drive my kids to soccer and football practice. Thanks for the input.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i have heard they are fun to drive go anywhere off road vehicles, but are not great highway only vehicles(loud, light, with a poor wheel base, and high roll center). if your only planning to use it just as a to and from on road auto i would look at something else. the cherokee sport and grand cherokees are great for families with better than normal 4 wheel drive applications.

Neverlift

scotchy scotch scotch
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
i have heard they are fun to drive go anywhere off road vehicles, but are not great highway only vehicles(loud, light, with a poor wheel base, and high roll center). if your only planning to use it just as a to and from on road auto i would look at something else. the cherokee sport and grand cherokees are great for families with better than normal 4 wheel drive applications.

That about sums it up. The Wranglers don't have much room, have a high center of gravity, are very drafty, and you get lots of road noise. On the otherhand, the Wrangler Rubicon is capable of going almost anywhere.

I have an old Grand Cherokee that I drive daily, and its awesome! Lots of room, good power, and I no longer worry about getting around in crappy weather.

GodStang

Established Member
I have a Wrangler YJ. Its loud, drafty, damp interior, and every thing leaks. We had a Cherokee also who leaks alot also. Jeeps are know for Leaking alot and always needing stuff replaced. But in the summer and hunting season it is great.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
everything thats been said plus dont forget, its a vert on nice days if u get that model.. and chix dig verts.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Short wheel base + choppy ride and unstable on the highway. 97> are a vast improvement over the older ones.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
i almost got a 07 rubi instead of another mustang. i like them but gas mileage is bad, especially for something that is pretty darn slow. my advice is to get a hardtop or one that comes with both tops.

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
Bens4vcobra said:
gas mileage is bad

I was waiting for someone to say that. Wranglers are the only things on the road that can only get 13 city mpg from a V6. Unless you are planning on lifting it and taking it offroad often, there is no good reason to get one. You will be unhappy with it. You might want to look into a grand cherokee.

roadracer247

Established Member
Don't forget how easily they can be broken into...if you live in a large city it is something to consider...

SVT_4_me

Established Member
i just bought a TJ wrangler, and what everybody else said is true...

-it is very loud, and unstable on the highway (my jeep has 4" lift with 33 x 12.50 tires though).
-it is very fun to drive around town with the top down and doors off.
-it is an off-roading machine and will go just about anywhere.
-gas mileage is pretty poor and it is somewhat underpowered.

i bought the jeep mainly for a trail rig, so for that purpose it is awesome... if you are going to buy one, definietly get a TJ model (97-06). they have coil springs and are much better road mannered than the older YJ's (leaf springs).

1-2.gif

Unoid

Established Member
I'm thinking ofgetting one for 3-4k as a winter beater/commuter in rain/snow.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
On an upnote the 4.0 is damn near indestructible. :shrug:
Sadly that little piece of Kenosha is now gone.

sparky701

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I was looking at a 2002 wrangler sport, the only reason I was looking at the wranglers was because I'm selling my convetible to buy something that is good in the winter and fun to drive in the summer. My kids love the convertible but its not something I want to drive my kids in to practice when there is 6 inches of snow on the road. I would be driving the jeep about 20 miles round trip if I bought one. I really dont want to spend more then $12,000.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
Buy one then, you only live once, you've never had one before and it has some things you want and I'm sure the kids will love it with the top and doors off.
So you have to leave the heater on high in the winter, big deal you can probably push snow up to the front grille which is all that matters in those months anyway.

Stang849

Established Member
My wife drives an 04', 60 miles round trip everyday, mostly on the highway. It has 3" lift 33 x 12.5 tires. Yeah its loud, underpowered, gets terrible gas mileage, but will go anywhere, in any weather.

Users who are viewing this thread