Thinking of buying a Ranger. Need advice

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
I am looking at a few different Rangers around 01-04. I don't know anything about them but I heard about the 4.0 v6 having timing chain stretch and it being a pita to fix. What years should I avoid? Is there anything else I should look out for on a 4x4 Ranger? Are the automatic transmissions any good?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
as long as the tensioner in the front has been replaced with the TSB tensioner you will be ok. i drove a 98 explorer 4 door with the SOHC v6 to a little over 300k miles before my brother totalled it. only thing i ever had to replace was brakes/tires/oil, most reliable truck ive ever owned and is basically the same thing as the rangers. as long as it has regular maintenance the truck will run FOREVER

from working on them for 6+ years as a ford tech:
ENGINE AND EMISSIONS
~SOHC intake gaskets and EGR o-ring
~timing chains will stretch but as long as you have the updated tensioner guide you should be ok, my explorer got it after 120k miles and went all the way past 300k with just a small rattle on startup
~DPFE sensor will crap out
~gas tank filler neck will rust through
~plastic thermostat housing will degrade over time and leak causing thermostat to stick
~clutch fan will stick, not really a problem just gets terrible gas mileage afterward, just replace fan clutch and your golden
~cat converters will crap out if the truck runs with misfires for too long and they are very expensive-$2k plus for just the converter y-pipe and another 2.5hrs labor
~MAF occasionally will go bad and cause funky symptoms but truck will still drive
~if you get a tune up, make sure to route the wires correctly or you will deal with misfires from them wearing on the valve covers
~headgaskets and cracked cylinder linings due to overheating from above thermostat housing issues, overheating above 260* and the motor is toast
DRIVELINE
~front axle seals on 4WD models will leak all the time, not a real issue
~occasional 4WD sticking due to shift motor in transfer case, a few taps with a hammer and all is good
HVAC
~blower motor for a/c will stick once in a while causing some funky a/c and heat issues
suspension
~front wheel bearings and balljoints are notorious for going bad as well as inner tie rods

Last edited:

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I am looking at a few different Rangers around 01-04. I don't know anything about them but I heard about the 4.0 v6 having timing chain stretch and it being a pita to fix. What years should I avoid? Is there anything else I should look out for on a 4x4 Ranger? Are the automatic transmissions any good?

I have an 02 with the chain slap issue. Other than being annoying, it doesn't affect anything (been like that for about 100,000 miles), but if I were to do it again I would avoid those two years. Other than that, the truck has literally been flawless, and I have beat the crap out of it. My wife drives it now, but I it is up to about 140k.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
don't...there is your advice lol

if you want a small truck got Nission Frontier or Toyota Tacoma ( i know they are more expensive but they are much better light trucks

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Why?

and

How so?

they seem to less problematic...we get a ton of Rangers into the shop i work at for stupid stuff ranging from all years

all the guys i know with tacos and frontiers have very few issues with them and they seem to better in the snow....if the op is just looking for a beater truck the Ranger will be fine imo

no light truck however sucks as bad as the Colorado...none lol

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I've got an 02 4.0 Auto with 4x4. Its been pretty good so far. Transmissions are also known to be on the weak side in the auto's, and manuals have TOB and slave cylinder issues.

My trans went out at 178k miles, and I was able to buy a junk yard replacement for 400 bucks with 40k miles on it. I've beaten the snot out of it, though. This is my truck:

[youtube_browser]ZMFH1235cWM[/youtube_browser]

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
I was looking at rangers because I don't want to spend a lot. I will not be driving it daily. I just need a truck that's not expensive to own. I can do all the work myself but I don't want something I will be working on all the time.

How can I tell if it had the tsb timing chain rail?

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Owned 3 Rangers in my short driving span of about 11 years now....All were good solid light trucks.....Heavy emphasis on "light"....lol If you want something to go through whether with or pull anything best invest a full size!

Def stick with the 6cyl. The 4 cyl dont do that much better on gas and are just turds for power. lol I don't know much about the timing chain issues, I never had any probs like that out of mine. As mentioned above transmissions is what seem to have the most wear and tear for me. Keep in mind though all 3 trucks had over 100k on clock before I bought them.....

adtp337

Established Member
I had a 99 manual 2wd for a few years. My brother bought it new, put 120K miles on it w/ no issues, I bought it from him and didn't have any issues until just under 200k when the clutch slave cylinder failed. It had the 3.0 V6 which doesn't do anything very well other than run w/o fail. From my experiences w/ Rangers its always been said that each engine serves a purpose.

4-banger=gas mileage(debatable)
3.0=doesn't do anything good, just keeps running
4.0=power

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
I have a 2001 ranger 5-speed with the edge package. I love the truck! and dont intend on selling it anytime soon. I got the truck with 75k and now it has 200,000. I have not spend any money on repaires yet......

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
Sounds like it would be a good truck for me. I will definitely get a manual tranny from what you guys have said. My wife will just have to learn lol.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
My list of rangers:
98 reg cab 2X4 4 banger with a 5 speed (sold)
02 and 04 ext cab 4X4 standard trans with a 4.0 (sold)
and my daily now is an 05 reg cab 5 speed 4 banger.

All of my rangers have been great trucks, wouldn't hesitate to get another one if needed.

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
I've had little problems out of my 01 4wd Ranger with the 4.0 SOHC/5spd auto/4.10 gears setup.
Replaced the DPFE sensor once and kept the oil changed...about it.
Not the best mpg but it's been around 17-18.
Only mods are a K+N and a Dynomax ultraflow catback exhaust.
Been a great little truck.
Has 126K miles on it.
01ranger.jpg

RedFord96

Established Member
With the people stating gas mileage for the 2.3L.... it doesn't get great gas mileage. I used to drive one with that and the auto and it got 17-19 in town grandpa-ing it (and I mean, slower than slow). I think the V6's were only rated 1-2mpg worse and not incredibly slow like the 4-cylinder.

Solid truck for light duty, though.

JasonSnake

Established Member
My brother has his '04 Edge for sale. I believe it's a tow package and has 4.10 factory gears and V6.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
With the people stating gas mileage for the 2.3L.... it doesn't get great gas mileage. I used to drive one with that and the auto and it got 17-19 in town grandpa-ing it (and I mean, slower than slow). I think the V6's were only rated 1-2mpg worse and not incredibly slow like the 4-cylinder.

Solid truck for light duty, though.

My 2.3 with a 5 speed gets 27-28mpg mostly highway, my old 98 with a 2.5L got 28-30mpg.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
How can I tell if it has the tsb tensioner? Is that something Ford would take care of under a recall?

Users who are viewing this thread