Thinking of buying a ‘21 GT500. Have a couple questions

03 VENOM

Established Member
The ‘21 GT500 I’m interested in has very low miles so it’s been sitting for 2 1/2 years since delivered. Is there anything I should look for?
I always believed it’s not good for a car to sit too long without driving.
Should the oil be changed right away if I purchase the car? And it only has like 6 months left on the bumper to bumper warranty.
TIA

fearthesnake

Established Member
Wouldn't worry too much but a few questions:

Are you buying from a dealer or private sale? Long as it was driven or started periodically should be fine.

Verify when the last Oil change was done.

Also, if buying through a Ford dealer, spend the extra cash and buy an extended premium care warranty. Like a 3 year/36K Mile bumper to bumper. The drive train is still covered but the premium care will cover any issues like a module or electronic issue that could be pricey to pay out of pocket.
Otherwise, just inspect it over closely underneath for any visual leaks. If everything checks outs - clean Carfax, it's a good car to buy.

Have Nick, member and Ford dealer owner on here run the Ford Oasis report for the maintenance history also.

Some cars(mine did) had an issue with the transmission cooler oil line leak. Ford fixed it but the entire unit had to be replaced. Just check the lines when you check it over for any visual leaks.

Good luck and keep us posted. These Cars are an absolute blast to drive and really a complete race car straight from the factory.

03 VENOM

Established Member
Wouldn't worry too much but a few questions:

Are you buying from a dealer or private sale? Long as it was driven or started periodically should be fine.

Verify when the last Oil change was done.

Also, if buying through a Ford dealer, spend the extra cash and buy an extended premium care warranty. Like a 3 year/36K Mile bumper to bumper. The drive train is still covered but the premium care will cover any issues like a module or electronic issue that could be pricey to pay out of pocket.
Otherwise, just inspect it over closely underneath for any visual leaks. If everything checks outs - clean Carfax, it's a good car to buy.

Have Nick, member and Ford dealer owner on here run the Ford Oasis report for the maintenance history also.

Some cars(mine did) had an issue with the transmission cooler oil line leak. Ford fixed it but the entire unit had to be replaced. Just check the lines when you check it over for any visual leaks.

Good luck and keep us posted. These Cars are an absolute blast to drive and really a complete race car straight from the factory.
The GT500 is at an exotic car dealership on consignment. Can I buy that extended premium care warranty at a Ford dealership after I purchase the car? The Carfax history report checks out. I’m not sure if the oil has ever been changed yet. Is that a concern? It only has 100 miles on it.

They won’t come down enough on the price. The MSRP from 2021 is like 98k and they’re asking over that. It has the carbon fiber track pack.

And they won’t give me enough for my mint condition ‘22 Hellcat Challenger Widebody. I’m gonna see what Carvana and Carmax will offer. I’m also gonna wait awhile to see if they will come down on the price.

What is Nick’s screen name so he can run Oasis report? Thanks again

OX1

Established Member
Timely, as I'm also looking at a 21 track pack (although 2300 miles, so at least used a bit in my case). I heard some of the 22's required valve cover replacement, and one got shavings from valvetrain rubbing on valve covers and trashed motor (only one incidence of that I've heard).

I would drive it at highway speed, make sure some kind of semi-permanent flat spot in tires has not occurred, sitting that long. I would also drive it on crappy roads, if that is what is typically near you. The one I drove "tram-lined" like crazy in truck grooves, but was fine on a more normal road. I plan on checking alignment if I get it, as soon as I get it home.

Not a lot of info on long term usage of these cars, the highest mileage I saw was only in the 40's (and only one), and 90+% were between 2 and 10K miles.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The GT500 is at an exotic car dealership on consignment. Can I buy that extended premium care warranty at a Ford dealership after I purchase the car? The Carfax history report checks out. I’m not sure if the oil has ever been changed yet. Is that a concern? It only has 100 miles on it.

They won’t come down enough on the price. The MSRP from 2021 is like 98k and they’re asking over that. It has the carbon fiber track pack.

And they won’t give me enough for my mint condition ‘22 Hellcat Challenger Widebody. I’m gonna see what Carvana and Carmax will offer. I’m also gonna wait awhile to see if they will come down on the price.

What is Nick’s screen name so he can run Oasis report? Thanks again

Contact FloodFordESP
Phone/Fax: (888)318-8534

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
The ‘21 GT500 I’m interested in has very low miles so it’s been sitting for 2 1/2 years since delivered. Is there anything I should look for?
I always believed it’s not good for a car to sit too long without driving.
Should the oil be changed right away if I purchase the car? And it only has like 6 months left on the bumper to bumper warranty.
TIA

A little late to the party here but to answer your questions and to provide some other insight,

I would certainly change the oil immediately after purchase regardless what the seller says is in it. I run a specific oil in all my vehicles and I wouldn’t want the cheap shit in my Shelby.

I would search for any TSBs to get done before you start to modify the vehicle….

Specifically you may run into the exhaust valve harness failure. The frame rubs on the wires of the harness and cuts them causing a short. Pretty shit design by Ford. Cheap and Easy fix but still…

Battery is probably shot. These things require some serious juice.

I’d post the vin if you have it so @13COBRA can give you a run down on if it’s been wrecked and possibly supply the window sticker.

Any info you can give on the car would be helpful in giving better advice. Pics of the engine bay…etc.

03 VENOM

Established Member
Hey guys. Searching online I noticed several ‘22 GT500s had this done: “
  • Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction Program issued
    • Program #23B25 ENGINE VALVE COVERS REPLACEMENT
    • Program #23B18 LEFT AND RIGHT CYLINDER HEADS REAR CUP PLUGS INSPECT AND SEAL

Is that engine work a big deal? Are the ‘22 GT500s the only year that need it done?

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I change oil the minute I get anything new to me home, That way you know it was done, when it was done and that it was done properly (hopefully)

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys. Searching online I noticed several ‘22 GT500s had this done: “
  • Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction Program issued
    • Program #23B25 ENGINE VALVE COVERS REPLACEMENT
    • Program #23B18 LEFT AND RIGHT CYLINDER HEADS REAR CUP PLUGS INSPECT AND SEAL

Is that engine work a big deal? Are the ‘22 GT500s the only year that need it done?
Yes ‘22 only model.
I’m seriously thinking of having the dealer throw the Whipple on at the same time. Gen 6 Whipple 3.8 sounds like a solid plan :)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread