Thinking about the reserves...

nhancedsvt

Established Member
So I've been thinking a lot lately about joining the air force reserves and i know a lot of you on here are military so maybe you could help me with some questions i have. first off i am a full time student and i would mainly be doing it for financial reasons (GI bill, paid weekend etc.). also i am getting married and will need good health insurance for my fiance. there's the practical reasons, i would also like to do it because in a way i would really like to give back to my country. i don't like the idea of deploying but i feel as if anything i do is better than nothing. plus it gives me the feeling that i am doing something to protect my family even if i am not deployed. so here's a few questions (i'm sure there will beplenty more). thanks for any help!!!

1. would you recommend it in my situation? why/why not?
2. how does the GI bill work? and how much does that typically pay?
3. are there any type of signing bonuses? if so how much?
4. since i am a student i like for my schedule to be semi-flexible. do i decide what weekend to work? also can i decide when to do basic/training?
5. how long does basic/training take since i will have to do this probably over summer break?
6. do i decide where my home base is?
7. what are my chances of being deployed?
8. i am currently a pharmacy tech and in nursing school. could i get a job in either of these fields? or what other jobs would you recommend?
9. i guess anything else you want to add...

thanks for any help guys!:banana: i just wanted to try to get some straightforward answers before i talked to a recruiter so that i could semi-know what i'm talking about.

Last edited:

Bowhuntr11

I am a semi-n00b now..
Established Member
I am in the AF reserves...and can answer most your questions.

I am on my phone right now in bed so I will tell ya tomorrow lol

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
best place to find out about the Reserves, www.about.com then look for military reserves.. also, just type what you want to find out about in the search bar.. (that's what I tell my potential applicants for the Navy)

Bowhuntr11

I am a semi-n00b now..
Established Member
1. would you recommend it in my situation? why/why not?

A: I would 100%...ESPECIALLY if you are going to school, but you got make sure you have time for it. 1 weekend out of only 4 weekends in a month can be quite a hassle for someone with a full-time job and full-time school. Especially if you are getting married.

2. how does the GI bill work? and how much does that typically pay?

A: The GI Bill usually pays $317 if you are going to school full-time. Here is a link to payment rates. BUT...Look for a job that has a bonus or whatever they call it for extra money for your GI Bill. I know for sure AFSC: 2A0___'s have it, because that is my career field. With the GI Bill "Bonus" (thats not the right name for it) I get $677/mo from the GI bill. :rolling:

A:It all depends on what and when. The Reserves don't give much signing bonuses. But there are certain jobs. I am pretty sure loadmaster had one when I was signing up, but they all depend on the need at the time. So I am sure it is different from 2 years ago when I signed up.

4. since i am a student i like for my schedule to be semi-flexible. do i decide what weekend to work? also can i decide when to do basic/training?

A: No you don't get to pick what weekend to work. Do not plan on it. My squadron has drill the 1st weekend of every month. We got lucky this year and have a alternate drill weekend every month too, but it makes your supervisor have to ask a higher rank and they usually don't like doing that very often.

But yes, you get to pick when you want to go to basic...well not the exact day because they don't start a class every day

5. how long does basic/training take since i will have to do this probably over summer break?

A: It all depends on your job. I went into basic Dec. 13th...graduated in January and got out at the end of March. I am sure the nursing or whatever you want to get in will be longer.

6. do i decide where my home base is?

A: Yes you do. And different bases have different job openings...so you might have to travel if you get a certain job set in stone.

A: Again, depends on the job...I know I will never get deployed with my job unless I want to.

8. i am currently a pharmacy tech and in nursing school. could i get a job in either of these fields? or what other jobs would you recommend?

A: I would recommend my job if you are good at electronics and just a little mechanical. 2A0_1D if you can get it. The D is for F-16's though since that is the planes that are on my base. So if you have F-15's I think it is A..etc for different planes.

A: I make about $160 a drill weekend being a E-4...but with my GI Bill I make around $820 for only working 2 days a month.

And then during the 2 weeks during the summer you get paid regular active duty pay, plus you still get GI Bill if your going to school during the summer. :rockon:

-------------------------------------

Basic Training: Some people this comes to a shock to them. I was the last class to be in the 6 week program, now it has changed to 8 weeks. But, you have to go into this with an open mind. I have played football my whole life. My dad is a football coach etc...So I just looked at the drill instructors as football coaches and I had a great time. :banana:

Some people it hits them hard though...They call home crying etc...Just go in knowing its going to suck for the first few weeks, and then the drill instructors start going a little easier and everything will be fine.

Tech School: At first, you will be in "Phase I" which freaking sucks. You can't do anything...but slowly after a couple weeks/a month you will start moving up in "phases" and you will be able to do alot more. Go off base...Go to the local mall's etc. (Also depends on where your Tech School is.) I went to Biloxi, MS and Wichita Falls, Tx...They are both fine. Biloxi was awesome though :D

Last edited:

DanTheMan18

Established Member
I'll expand on some of the questions.

There was one for my career field, 2T1X1, Vehicle Operations. $8,000 signing bonus.

They tend to be lenient if you absolutely have to miss a weekend, as long as you can make it up. But no, you don't decide when your weekend is.

Basic is 6 and 1/2 weeks, training depends on your job. My job was another 6 weeks. They called us "Pop Tarts" because of our short schools.

Look at my current location. Needless to say, I'm paying for that signing bonus that I got.

Get something that interests you. You're going to have to go train for whatever job you have, regardless of experience outside of that. Try and pick a career where the training would also benefit you on the civilian side.

I make just under $200 a weekend as an E-4.

Look into Tricare, they just recently made it even more accessible to the reserves.

Sounds like you're interested for the right reasons. Good luck with whatever you choose, and feel free to post up anymore questions you have.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread