thinking about removing my cats. where do I start?

04troublez

SUPERCARGADA
Established Member
I looked under and it looks like I have to deal with some work. Which do I remove the first ones nearest to the engine or the back ones?

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
rear will be the best at first. the front ones will be a pain becuase of the curve up to the manifolds.

The rear cats are the ones I removed on mine, had straigh pipes into the Borla cat-back.

M240Bravo

Established Member
Sounds like poooooop! I can take a video of mine with my gopro and post it if you want me too.

uncooked

Established Member
Had no cats into a jdm silver bullet catback and it was CRAZY loud. The tone is just garbage like a old farm truck.

Got the JLP COMP R system with cats a few months back and havent looked back. I get compliments all the time everywhere I go, I have actually got "holy shit I thought it was a exotic car pulling in" a few times arriving somewhere after booting it up the street. :coolman:

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
I had an exhaust shop remove the front small ones and make some pipe to replace them. it free'd up some noise and did not throw a check light. and still passed the sniffer part of the smog test. pulling the rears will likely throw a light and will not pass smog if you have it in your area.
pulling the larger rear ones will make it louder too, and pulling all of them will make a huge difference. but you will need a re-tune and your exhast will be much more raspy sounding. you may pick up some power but unless your fairly modded you will loose tome torque. I run long tubes, catless and a bassani ss catback, its freaking loud on the throttle and not bad when cruising.
When i was closer to stock the 100 bux it cost me to remove just the fronts was worth it. you will not need a re-tune either.

uncooked

Established Member
[ame=http://vimeo.com/10506726]2.3 Whipple Lightning Burnouts on Vimeo[/ame]

Old exhaust ^

[ame=http://vimeo.com/12638143]JLP Comp R Exhaust Lightning on Vimeo[/ame]

New Exhaust ^

Went from 17.5 lbs of boost to somewhere around 14 - 14.5 even with adding highflows thanks to the longtubes and 3" piping :beer: To me they just don't sound good SUPER LOUD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread