Thinking about moving to Florida? Here's what I thought about Tampa.

PSI87

Banned
Today I went on a little road trip to the Tampa Bay area, otherwise known as the Sun Coast of Florida. I’ve only been there once and I thought it would be a good idea to travel there to get more familiar with the area since I’m considering moving there for school. I know a few other people on here are considering moving to the Tampa Bay area or Florida, so I thought I would post a review of my first impressions of the city.
Well, I left at 6AM to go visit USF (since I’m thinking about going there) and I arrived on campus around 9AM. The campus seemed large, spread out over 1700 acres, and it was spread out quite a bit. The residence hall’s looked somewhat impressive, however overall I don’t feel like that particular campus was exceptional. University mall close to USF was pretty big, but the majority there were minorities, which I’m a little uncomfortable with. On to Tampa…
After departing from USF’s Tampa campus, I pursued to go into the downtown region. The downtown wasn’t too bad, but the surrounding area I found to be quite disappointing. I noticed a lot of industry that wasn’t particularly attractive. The road’s of Tampa (not including the interstate system) seemed unorganized and not of a high quality. Unfortunately, this would not be the end of my disappointment for the day.
Next I went into Ybor City. I’ve heard good things about it, but I found it to be a very unattractive city. I counted several transients along with a continued industrial presence. Having seen this much, I opted not to get out of the car and walk to the more historical district, so I probably didn’t get the entire Ybor City experience. At this point, I was getting ready to just go home and call it quits with the entire Tampa Bay area. I decided to visit St. Petersburg though. Once I got back on 275 South, I started noticing a cleaner, much more attractive Tampa as I headed East, away from downtown towards St. Pete. I noticed a Best Buy, Wal Mart, Target, etc on the North of the interstate and a quality looking mall on the South side of the interstate.
Next I crossed over Tampa Bay and continued to drive what took approximately 30 minutes to get to St. Pete from downtown Tampa. St. Pete was a very pleasant surprise. It’s not as big as Tampa, but it is still a fairly large city. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a place quite like this. For being a large city, there was very little traffic, everything was clean and modern looking. The skyline surprised me once again. The skyline is a mix between condominiums and large corporations. I found myself pondering as to where exactly the residential district ended and when the business district began. There were tons of small shops there. I really can’t say enough about this city. I saw the USF St. Pete campus, and guess where I want to go now. The best way I can describe it, is it’s a large city with a small city feeling to it.
One place I wanted to visit that I didn’t get a chance to was Clearwater. I’ve heard good things about that city, but I just couldn’t go. All said and done I ended up driving 371 miles on 0 hours of sleep and had a great time doing so. Now that I’ve seen Tampa, I probably wouldn’t want to live there. It didn’t seem too bad, but it was nothing exceptional. Tampa really seemed a lot like Jacksonville. I would choose Orlando over either city, but St. Pete over Orlando. Anyways, I took a few pictures and anyone considering moving to central or North Florida should talk to me.

Tampa 1
Tampa002.jpg

Tampa 2
Tampa003.jpg

St. Pete 1
Tampa004.jpg

St. Pete 2 (from the Pier, sorry I couldn’t really get any good pics)
Tampa006.jpg

St. Pete 3
Tampa009.jpg

The pier at St. Pete.
Tampa007.jpg

Orlando 1 (Sorry, these are really bad.)
Tampa011.jpg

Orlando 2
Tampa013.jpg

BTW, I realize this could be in the Florida section, but I decided to post it in "Road Side Pub" instead due to the fact that I wrote this to share my experience of Tampa with non Floridians. This could also be put in "Media," but the picutes just serve as a visual aid, not the main topic of discussion.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I love the Tampa area. It has a lot to offer. I certainly wouldnt take the advice of someone how drove around the area for part of a day.

JasonSnake

Established Member
Ybor only has one good street for clubs about two blocks long but thats it. The rest of that place is run down buildings and small factories/shops. The new downtown area is supposed to be nice, but it's alway dead and boring. I can't say I miss living in Tampa after 4 years but it is cheaper and more peaceful to live in. If you're looking to buy a house, you should checkout north Tampa or Riverview.

Tang

SLITHR 2
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
I love the Tampa area. It has a lot to offer. I certainly wouldnt take the advice of someone how drove around the area for part of a day.

I agree. Most large cities have a nice part of town and a not so nice part of town. That's life.

If you're so worried about how unorganized the streets and highways are around the area (and the fact that there's minorities around) you're considering for college, then I don't know what to say... :lol1: Might just wanna skip the whole college idea and do it online? :poke:

There's a lot of projects and low income neighborhoods in the Chicago area, but does that mean the colleges there aren't good? Absolutely not.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
The initial post description of Tampa is the most rediculous thing I've ever read. You didn't see hardly and of Tampa. Who the hell goes to Ybor city during the day. LOL, thats real funny. You want nice living, go to the north side. You want night life, you were in it, YBOR CITY, daytime doesn't offer you much. Next time you visit a city for consideration for living/moving there, take a guide.......Lots of guys here that live and play in Tampa.......

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
PSI87 said:
Tampa 1
Tampa002.jpg

Tampa 2
Tampa003.jpg

I drive by there every day!!!

I like Tampa for the most part but i will be moving from here once my time in the navy is done....i love the car scene, fishing, and nightlife here but this heat is friggin unbearable...although the last few days have been pleasant

As far as stuff to do...if you like sports tampa is awesome, NHL, NFL, MLB. There are always concerts going on, BMP is close by. Good resturants, shopping etc.

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Double"O" said:
LOL oh yeah well it stays daylight here later :kaboom:
Tell ya what does suck is waking up a 6:30 this morning to realize its really 5:30am.:lol1: Hopefully you guys don't have that problem in Tampa.;-)

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Double"O" said:
I drive by there every day!!!

I like Tampa for the most part but i will be moving from here once my time in the navy is done....i love the car scene, fishing, and nightlife here but this heat is friggin unbearable...although the last few days have been pleasant

As far as stuff to do...if you like sports tampa is awesome, NHL, NFL, MLB. There are always concerts going on, BMP is close by. Good resturants, shopping etc.

That picture is right at the Port of Tampa.

You really think it is too hot here?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
during the summer months oh yeah

today is absolutely perfect!!!

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I only live about 3 or 4 miles from you and I dont find it that bad. It wouldnt cause me to leave or ever consider returning to a place that has cold weather and snow.

I would prefer the average temp of the U.S. Virgin Islands. Average temp in the summer is 82F and in the winter is 80F.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
I only live about 3 or 4 miles from you and I dont find it that bad. It wouldnt cause me to leave or ever consider returning to a place that has cold weather and snow.

I would prefer the average temp of the U.S. Virgin Islands. Average temp in the summer is 82F and in the winter is 80F.

the heat is not the entire motivation for me leaving when my time at macdill is up.....i LOVE winter....but i also love Bass fishing so i need to find a happy medium...somewhere with good fishing and a good hard winter.

Florida - best bass fishing USA...i am sure the winter months here are very pleasant
Maine - good hard winter...decent bass fishing...5 months of winter is a hair to much

Oh well as usual i will make the best of my time here though....tons of fishing and trips to BMP:rockon:

Last edited:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
GH1086 said:
If I were to personally move to Florida, I'd move to the St. Augustine area, it's gorgeous there.
met my wife of 18 yrs on st augustine bch:)

went to school there my whole life. now it is overcrowded and growing like crazy. i like port orange, just west of daytona bch. low crime and great schools. jmo.

Users who are viewing this thread