Thinking about JAG

sc98cbra

Established Member
Hey everyone,

I am currently a junior in College. I will be graduating in the Spring of 2014. I am a political science major, with a concentration in public law/political philosophy. No one in my family has ever been to college before, so everything I do, I have to learn on my own.

I am highly uneducated on what it takes to join the JAG. Every time I go and talk to a recruiter, I just get a bunch of ignorant answers (I feel like the recruiters simply don't give a damn).

If anyone can educate me on the process of joining the JAG (the requirements it takes to join) please help me out.

AlanSVT

Established Member
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.

Applicants must also meet the minimum requirements:

Citizen of the United States

Earned a J.D. or LL.B. from an American Bar Association accredited law school
Admitted to the bar for the federal/highest court of any state in the United States or the District of Columbia (note: 3L students may also apply)

Able to serve 20 years of active commissioned service before reaching the age of 62 (under the age of 42 for most)

found this by google.

hb712

Established Member
Hey everyone,

I am currently a junior in College. I will be graduating in the Spring of 2014. I am a political science major, with a concentration in public law/political philosophy. No one in my family has ever been to college before, so everything I do, I have to learn on my own.

I am highly uneducated on what it takes to join the JAG. Every time I go and talk to a recruiter, I just get a bunch of ignorant answers (I feel like the recruiters simply don't give a damn).

If anyone can educate me on the process of joining the JAG (the requirements it takes to join) please help me out.

I can't really tell you anything about JAG that wasn't posted above, but I can let you know about some first steps toward that job.

You need to be studying - yes, starting ASAP - for the LSAT. It's a PITA, but it's the first step toward law school. You should also be working on relationships with professors who can give you a nice, not generic, letter of recommendation.

Start thinking about law schools you want to go to. You can look at the incoming class profile to see where you need to be in terms of GPA and LSAT score for admission. If you do not have a high enough GPA (3.5 and above), start working on that immediately.

A couple extra notes:
- Work on grammar and punctuation. Your legal research and writing professor will be fairly annoyed by capitalization errors (i.e., "College"), incorrectly placed commas, and a variety of other common errors.
- Work on reading accurately. You will read, a lot, in law school. The key is to read carefully and accurately. In doing so, you will get a lot more from your daily reading. This is especially true for statutes.*
- Start networking, early. It's never too early to start building a network. These people will come in handy when you're looking for the best internships/summer jobs during school.

*I had a professor ask my class what the most critical word in a specific statute was. The one word, from ~50, was "so." I was able to answer that question because I read carefully. People who skimmed, like many do in undergrad, had no idea how to pick that word out.

Good luck in your pursuits!

cobra_mer

Established Member
Does your college have a ROTC program? If so go talk with them as well. try to schedule a meeting with their Professor of Military Science, far better information then recruiters. yes majority of recruiters don't give a crap and/or don't know about all the MOS's.

Least my recruiter was honest, he told me he didn't know anything about the MOS I am in all he knew it took a high GT score to get into. Minimum 114 when I joined, since then it has become a 20lvl only MOS.

Users who are viewing this thread