Thinking about going TT

fr03cobra

Established Member
I have a new 2.9 crusher and new LT to sale. Thinking about going TT. Any thoughts? Ive seen guys with issues with tt not sure If is worth the head aches.thanks

fr03cobra

Established Member
still thinking. i can get like 6200 for the whipple and headers. i think. still going to cost me 4k more for the TT kit.lol

svtshadow

Banned
Besides the maintenance of turbo, it aint bad from my previous experience. But the maintenance and little headaches here and there made me change.

Any reason why you are swtiching?

gabe1530

Banned
what fuel will you be running?
a 5.3 stroker, 2.9 crusher and big long tubes you would easily be around 750 on pump. you can make 850 plus on corn...
i would personally stick with your setup and just have a race tune on standby for the gtr next door.

fr03cobra

Established Member
Not sure on the fuel e85 is a 30-40 min drive. he is about to go e85 and turn up the boost here soon. Seems like the turbo always wins.lol

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Turbo builds require big budgets. Then once you get turbo'd you're going to need a new trans as the t56 won't last and sucks with a turbo. Would be much cheaper to put a 150 shot on. But I know the feeling of wanting to put the hammer down on the GTR, I just did that to a guys Switzer P800 '14 GTR from a roll.

stangfreak

Established Member
Get ready to spend some big bucks with the turbo. also keep in mind, with your 6 speed high hp with the turbo, the car will be so violent when the boost comes on it will just spin and blow the tires. its going to be very hard to drive. keeping the boost up is also a problem. You need an auto to make the setup work at 100%. The auto will also make the car more driveable with big hp. The power will come on a bit smoother and manageable. Once you have everything setup, a turbo auto cobra is just the top.

fr03cobra

Established Member
Yea, i might as well be happy with the setup now. I have the money just not ready spend it i guess. I will just have to try to beat the gtr with my setup.lol

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
What about a bigger blower like a 3.4? would that be better with the t56, not trying to hijack just curious..

ATFPat

Established Member
I haven't looked too deep into a turbo but what are the expensive things for maintaining a turbo cobra? Also, what are some issues? I only ask because looking at a complete kit, looks pretty straight forward. I'm sure there is fine tuning involved. Please excuse my dumbness about it, never looked into a turbo. I know auto would be the best way to maintain boost etc But I would think a turbo manual would be a blast to drive granted it wasn't crazy HP. The sound of a turbo though!!

# not trying to jack the thread.

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I don't really have much extra maintenance. Every couple of years I go through and tighten all the clamps. I think I may replace the oil drain back lines soon as they are feeling a little soft. Like I said, I've had my kit for almost 9 years now.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
The "pain in the ass" factor is really the unknown when it comes to other mods or maintenance. For example, my alternator is in the factory location, changing it required removal of up-pipe, down pipe and transmission cooler.

Just remember your car will be a little different when doing normal maintenance. Other than that, I can hop in my car and drive it just the same as anyone else.

You'll also hear the automatic transmission brought up. I went this route. It was impossible for me to find a clutch I liked on the street that would hold up at the track. That's why I switched.

Next, if you use big turbos and a short runner intake, spooling will be a problem that you'll want to work around. I use 50mm turbos and long intake runners and hit full boost just after 3000 rpms for reference. My turbos won't make 1000 rwhp, but it's quite fun to drive.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Keep the 2.9 crusher...dump in some C16 and Spray a 150shot on it....unless that GTR has some serious mods you'll wax it...now I would suggest going from a roll unless your one of those 1.6 60' guys

gabe1530

Banned
the more i think about it... you should keep the 2.9 crusher and go auto. you will be way more consistent on and off the line.

Users who are viewing this thread