Thinking about going into the NAVY.

burnzilla

Established Member
-

n1.jpg

Well, I have an Associates Degree and I alot of work experience, but in my necks of the woods things are kind of slow.

I want to travel and see the world, and sample careers, but I also love spending time with my friends/family.
Anyone here in the US NAVY or know someone that is?

Any info, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Im 24 btw.

Last edited:

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I'm not Navy... I'm USAF but...

One choice people over look are the National Guard and Reserves... That allows people to serve and still stay near their homes. Depending on the career field, you could get activated or volunteer for deployments with your unit.

Just keep in mind... If you choose active duty... sure, you'll leave friends and family behind but, You'll make new friends and join another type of family.

I, for one, don't mind being far from my family. Been on a couple deployments and made some really great friends along the way. I go home on leave when I can.

Good luck with your choice, and if you have any more questions... ask away!

Dusten

Established Member
i work at meps, have 9 years active duty navy, pm with any enlistment type questions, and things of that nature. i can give you a straight scoop before you talk to a recruiter.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
If you can do another 2 years of school I'd suggest finishing a Bachelors and enlisting as an Officer. We are the same age and that's what I had planned to do and still may do after I finish my second degree. Still up in the air for me.

burnzilla

Established Member
If you can do another 2 years of school I'd suggest finishing a Bachelors and enlisting as an Officer. We are the same age and that's what I had planned to do and still may do after I finish my second degree. Still up in the air for me.

I don't think you can enlist as an officer.
Although I am not sure.

You must meet and exceed their educational qualifications, not to mention actually becoming a sailor and making it through training.

The thing is, the Coast Guard offers a Technical IT training course thats a 2 year program, but I'm not sure if thats for me. Part of me wants to explore and do something new, part of me wants to continue to find a living near my hometown.

Dusten

Established Member

You do know that just having a 4 year gets you nothing. You must have a qualifying ASTB score, a gpa above 3.25, and a degree they are looking for.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
My brother is in the Navy as a mineman and he loves it. He was stationed in Japan, then Guam, and now San Deigo. He has been in for 9 years.

mustanginsin

Loyal To None
Established Member
i'm navy and i'm happy with being where i'm at. when you're looking into the different rates, just remember: choose your rate, choose your fate.

Dusten

Established Member
i'm navy and i'm happy with being where i'm at. when you're looking into the different rates, just remember: choose your rate, choose your fate.

that is a retarded comment to direct at someone who has no clue what you are talking about. Elaboration would be key.

What he means is this, in the navy, your "rate" is your job. Mine is Sonar Technician. By choosing your rate, your choose your fate. Different rates advance to the next rank faster or slower than others. some rates work in air conditioning, some in engine rooms. Some have shorter or longer working hours, different watch rotations... the list goes on and one.

crazycarlo

Established Member
As far as being an offier I wouldnt know because I was enlisted. but I was Navy from 01-05. Joined when I was 18 right out of high school. I was never more then 6 hours away from my family. I chose the closest orders i could. In the 4 years I was in I was only out to sea for 1 6 month deployment and I didnt even make that full on. Ive been to Spain, italy, Dubai, the U.A.E made some great friends and actully missed it. i was lucky enough to be an Avionics Tech on the now retired F-14 Tomcat. From my personal experience, Its not for everyone and some people may not like it. I had a great time and I consider it the best time of my life thus far. if it wasnt for my current job and g/f Id go back. Like someone mentioned before if you can wait try to get a BA and see if you can go officer. it is harder to get in but the benefits will come out better. Either way good luck.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Dude just join the Coast Guard. we probably promote the fastest out of all the branches. You'll get underway and and get to see a lot of cool stuff. Also the longest that we get underway for is usually 3months and then we come home. Going to Iraq on land is volunteer and if you still want to go there usually one of our ships is there at all times.. Something to think about. PM me if you have any questions

jurgensb

Burnzilla, I've been in the Navy for 15 years and say do it. I Love it.
The oportunities are endless. I've been all over this world. The great thing about the Navy is we got it all. Want to be in aviation; got it; want combat; got it, want to dive; got it. Bonus money is great right now for most specialized jobs like submariners, EOD, SEAL, DIVER Nuclear rates to name a few. My guys are getting $90,000 their first and second re-enlistments and I'll be getting $200,000 when I get to 20. The retirement after 20 years from any service aint bad either. Forget the Army their deployments are way too long like a year or more, the Marines well if your into being treated like a toddler for 20 years go right ahead and the Air Force well they're just to laid back for me and their promotion is very slow. The Coast guard might be a good choice but it all depends on what you want to do. I started out in the fleet on Aircraft carriers and had a blast but soon realized I wanted more challenge so went into Spec Ops. Haven't looked back! Good luck with your decision. Either way you decide know you're making a great decision. In the end it's all about serving a larger cause than yourself.

CAMELEON

Established Member
I did 6 years. I don't regret going in nor getting out.

Make sure you get EVERYTHING in writing when dealing with your recruiter. Mine was fantastic, but I knew a lot of people that were out and out lied to.

Do a lot of research BEFORE you sign anything. Get into a field you think you will enjoy and get your schools guaranteed in writing.

Apply yourself! Most of the people around me were good reliable steady hard working people but if you could apply yourself, it is easy to stand out and get noticed. There are a lot of opportunities to further your education, take advantage of them and anything Uncle Sam has to offer.

I was on an aircraft carrier (CV-62 USS Independence) and my brother was on a strike destroyer (DD-967 USS Elliott). He got to go to a lot more places as carriers are limited to larger ports in general. If traveling to a lot of places is important, a smaller ship would offer better opportunities. This ties back in to chose your rate, chose your fate. Your chances of ending up on an aircraft carrier are much higher than a smaller ship if you chose an aviation rate.

Hope my perspective was helpful. Good Luck.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
As a Marine of course 94-99. I always just bust on the Navy guys with that comment, since the Marines is part of the Department of the Navy we used to Joke that it was the mens department. :beer:
I've used that more than a few times. Navy guys don't find it funny. :banana:

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Damn jarheads at it again!! Always talkin shit. Its all good though, as dumb as Marines are, i still have ALOT of respect for most of them. I was Navy for nearly 5 years, and was stationed on an LHD (Gator freighter) so i got to know why a few good guys.

The Navy is a good option, you will have the chance to see the world, i know i did. Ive been to quite a few different countries on my 2 and a half deployments. I DO NOT regret a single minute of it.. The pay sucks in the beginning, but it only gets better from there. Advancements are on a set schedule, so as long as you can do well on the exams, your good to go. I was advanced first time, every time so i picked up E5 pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread