Thinking about getting new gears

blk96slowbra

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting 4.10 gears but want to get some opinions of those who have them already. The car will be my daily driver. I will be mostly driving around town and to and from school but occasionally will have a 100 mile trip back home. Are 4.10s still a good choice to go with?

mackj66

Established Member
Get them, and don't even look back.
They rock, and they are perfectly fine on the highway.

Around town is where they are really fun!!!!

ty.thompson1981

Established Member
I had a set of 4:10s in my 98 cobra for about 6 months. If you are doing around town driving then yes they are a great addition to the lack of low end tq from the 96-98 cobras. Depending on what your cruising speed is on the highway, your occasional 100 mile trip may suck. I pulled out the 4:10s in favor of a set of 3:55s. I cruise at 80mph on the highway and at that speed with 4:10s you will be right at 3K rpms (on average tire size). I am more of a top end person and try to get on the highway as much as I can. With the 3:55s I used to clock 2600 rpms at 80. That was better for me. Now I have a T56 magnum and at 92mph I'm clocking 2200 rpms so that's even better for me :). It all depends on what you want. 4:10s give you a nice kick in the ass off the line but you do lose some top end. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

blk96SVT

Established Member
I had a set of 4:10s in my 98 cobra for about 6 months. If you are doing around town driving then yes they are a great addition to the lack of low end tq from the 96-98 cobras. Depending on what your cruising speed is on the highway, your occasional 100 mile trip may suck. I pulled out the 4:10s in favor of a set of 3:55s. I cruise at 80mph on the highway and at that speed with 4:10s you will be right at 3K rpms (on average tire size). I am more of a top end person and try to get on the highway as much as I can. With the 3:55s I used to clock 2600 rpms at 80. That was better for me. Now I have a T56 magnum and at 92mph I'm clocking 2200 rpms so that's even better for me :). It all depends on what you want. 4:10s give you a nice kick in the ass off the line but you do lose some top end. Hope this helps.

Where did you get that you "lose" some top end with 4.10s?? This is so not true. With 4.10's or EVEN 4.30's paired up with the stock T45, YOU will be able to pull while in fifth gear, increasing your top end speed. So, no, this does not help the OP.

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
Where did you get that you "lose" some top end with 4.10s?? This is so not true. With 4.10's or EVEN 4.30's paired up with the stock T45, YOU will be able to pull while in fifth gear, increasing your top end speed. So, no, this does not help the OP.
Horsepower and aerodynamics are the main limitation to top speed. Until you reach red line in top gear you are not limiting your top end with deeper gears, you are however making first gear a cruel joke, kinda like the old days with the three speed with overdrive.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
I have 4.10's and would be on the more conservative side as far as modding goes. I find them fine on the highway. Gas mileage does suffer a bit because you will tend to "get on it" more for the fun factor. I think in 4th gear at ~6000rpm I was pulling 125+ so I figure 5th should still get you 150+ at redline. Don't fear the gear!!!

blk96SVT

Established Member
Horsepower and aerodynamics are the main limitation to top speed. Until you reach red line in top gear you are not limiting your top end with deeper gears, you are however making first gear a cruel joke, kinda like the old days with the three speed with overdrive.

Agree with the HP and aero. With 4.10s you will actually pull in fifth gear unlike with the 3.27's and near stock hp. I remember fifth gear with my stockers in and near stock hp and it barely moved.

I still don't understand why there is a new gear thread every other week in this section.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I still don't understand why there is a new gear thread every other week in this section.

True...this topic comes up every couple of weeks

I'd like to get the opinions of guys that open track their cars. I've asked in numerous other "what gear" threads and really haven't rcvd any valid input.

I'm on 3.73s which seem to be perfect for OT, however, never having had anything else I have nothing to compare it to.

Any road racers out there?

gq916

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting 4.10 gears but want to get some opinions of those who have them already. The car will be my daily driver. I will be mostly driving around town and to and from school but occasionally will have a 100 mile trip back home. Are 4.10s still a good choice to go with?

IMO (for an N/A car)..If you're only doing 1/4 mile racing then 4:10 are cool since they'll get you in your powerband quick, if you're doing roll runs then you probably want 3:73s or 3:90s or something, if you're not racing at all then I would leave your stock gears in. Your car around town and on the freeway will drive nicer with stock gears as opposed to having 4:10s or 4:30s.

Users who are viewing this thread