Thinking about gears as next mod,what all do I need?

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
Im seriously thinking about ring and pinion gears as the next modification to the car right now. Last week I did the front brakes,and im happy with the braking power for now,until I do the rear. The only thing thats pretty much missing from my suspension is :

Front bumpsteer kit (with x2 ball joints)

Rear tie rod kit

& Full IRS bushing kit

I want to do that stuff,but I dont think its absolutely necessary at this stage of the car. I ran a 04-05 STi last night on the interstate,and I was 1-1. The first race he got me pretty good in 3rd,and kept pulling. The second race,I got a good timed jump off the third honk,and used my torque to hold him off for the win. But it made me dissapointed that my car could be a lot faster if I had gears.

Im thinking I need the gears themselves,the installation kit,a BF diff brace,and diff bushings. Is there anything else I need?

Also,I plan on going FI later down the road. I really wanhy 4.30's or 4.56's,but I know that will be complete overkill for daily interstate driving,and FI later down the road. Will I be happy with 4.10's? I think I should,seeing as ive been so used to the 3.27's,and ANYTHING is better than what I have now.

thankss

- chris

02SVTV6

Established Member
doing 3.55s with my Vortech setup...will be perfect for daily driving as well as lots of highway here in FL

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
No less than 4.10's. I have 4.30's and my car was a daily for several years and I drove her on multiple 6 hour trips. It's not bad once you get used to it.

5pointHo

Established Member
yeah id say anything higher than 4.10's and itd be too obnoxious on the freeway. youd be cruising at way high rpm's and getting horrible gas mileage.

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
No less than 4.10's. I have 4.30's and my car was a daily for several years and I drove her on multiple 6 hour trips. It's not bad once you get used to it.

I agree. I've had two blower cars with 3.73's and one with 4.10's, and I won't have less than 4.10's any more!

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
yeah id say anything higher than 4.10's and itd be too obnoxious on the freeway. youd be cruising at way high rpm's and getting horrible gas mileage.

V8's and good gas mileage are an oxymoron. :rolling:

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
4.30's or 4.56's is way too tall a gear for a daily driver especially if you plan on any freeway driving. If you had 4.30's or taller against that sti you would have had your ass handed to you. I would run a 3.90 gearset. Tall enough for the street but still at home on the highway. The tall gears are fun on the street or at the strip but for highway def no way.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Oh boy, here we go again...

My car had 3.73s when I purchased it, I swapped to an SRA with 4.10's and my AVERAGE went up by 1.5 mpg. There's several members here with 4.56's claming 27 and 28 mpg on the highway. THESE ENGINES LOVE TO TURN RPMS!
V8's and good gas mileage are an oxymoron. :rolling:

So my 285 rwhp v8 with 4.10's getting 25 mpg on the highway isn't good fuel mileage?

when you drive at higher rpm's you use more gas which in turn gives you worse gas mileage .....

Again, these engines love to turn RPMs.. Another thing to keep in mind is even though the engine is turning more rpms, you're using LESS throttle effort and taking in less oxygen per rotation. So again, read my first statement to your first post and know that my MPG went up after swapping from 3.73s to 4.10s....

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
4.30's or 4.56's is way too tall a gear for a daily driver especially if you plan on any freeway driving. If you had 4.30's or taller against that sti you would have had your ass handed to you. I would run a 3.90 gearset. Tall enough for the street but still at home on the highway. The tall gears are fun on the street or at the strip but for highway def no way.

Where do you guys come up with this shit? Seriously. I'm running 4.10's, far from being 'too much' gear and I would definitely consider 4.30's or 4.56's if staying NA. My car is also daily driven.

Last edited:

5pointHo

Established Member
4.10's are definitely managable on the freeway, but for if youre going to spend more time on the freeway than 3.73's or 3.90's would be a better choice.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
4.10's are definitely managable on the freeway, but for if youre going to spend more time on the freeway than 3.73's or 3.90's would be a better choice.

What did you not understand about my fuel mileage going UP (as in INCREASING) after swapping to 4.10's from 3.73s? Most of my driving is on the highway. As I've previously stated, these engines love to turn RPMs. What kind of gears are you running in your cobra (if you have one) and if you don't, how exactly are you coming up with these conclusions?

4.56s are a must. I did 4.10s and wished I had done 4.56s the first time around in my old 01 Cobra. What a feeling to see the car pulling in 5th gear!

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Where do you guys come up with this shit? Seriously. I'm running 4.10's, far from being 'too much' gear and I would definitely consider 4.30's or 4.56's if staying NA. My car is also daily driven.

Daily driven can mean different things. My daily drive consists of all streets so 4.56s would be awesome. On the freeway 3.90's work good with na 4 valves. They still let you have fun on the street too.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
What did you not understand about my fuel mileage going UP (as in INCREASING) after swapping to 4.10's from 3.73s? Most of my driving is on the highway. As I've previously stated, these engines love to turn RPMs. What kind of gears are you running in your cobra (if you have one) and if you don't, how exactly are you coming up with these conclusions?

You can stop with the bullshit about your mileage going up.

5pointHo

Established Member

im not necessarily talking about gas mileage, im talking about racing on the freeway. if youre running 4.56's and youre trying to freeway race youre gonna get raped.

i dont need to drive that vehicle to know about it, but you know everything there is to know apparently, so ill just stop posting.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Daily driven can mean different things. My daily drive consists of all streets so 4.56s would be awesome. On the freeway 3.90's work good with na 4 valves. They still let you have fun on the street too.

I'm gonna have to agree to disagree once again. The only reason to ever have less than 4.10 (if not a 4.30) gear is if you have (or are planning on) some sort of forced induction/power adder. I don't know what some people do not understand (I guess they just have to experience it for themselves) that these cars love the short gears! I don't see how a 3.90 can be that great on the street when my 4.10 still leaves me wanting more. Granted its a bit better than the 3.73's I had, but at stock to built NA power levels, there's nothing a 4.30 or 4.56 gear can hurt. That's all there is to it. I've personally witnessed with my car (and heard several testimonies) that going to a steeper gear will NOT hurt your fuel economy. Enough said. To the OP, if you're gonna be NA, 4.30 or 4.56, there's nothing else you need to know. If you're going to a power adder, it all depends just how extreme you're gonna go to determine what gear 3.55 to 4.10 to choose. /thread.

5pointHo

Established Member
I'm gonna have to agree to disagree once again. The only reason to ever have less than 4.10 (if not a 4.30) gear is if you have (or are planning on) some sort of forced induction/power adder. I don't know what some people do not understand (I guess they just have to experience it for themselves) that these cars love the short gears! I don't see how a 3.90 can be that great on the street when my 4.10 still leaves me wanting more. Granted its a bit better than the 3.73's I had, but at stock to built NA power levels, there's nothing a 4.30 or 4.56 gear can hurt. That's all there is to it. I've personally witnessed with my car (and heard several testimonies) that going to a steeper gear will NOT hurt your fuel economy. Enough said. To the OP, if you're gonna be NA, 4.30 or 4.56, there's nothing else you need to know. If you're going to a power adder, it all depends just how extreme you're gonna go to determine what gear 3.55 to 4.10 to choose. /thread.

the man has spoken :bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread