Thinking About Engine Buildup!!

MUSTANGDB

Established Member
Hey guys! I have a 2003 cobra with whipple/cams and all the supporting mods. I was thinking about building the stock motor up with at least new pistons. I have had no problems up to date with 660 rwhp and 590 rwtq :rockon: The car is an absolute beast but my concerns are the internals failing. I spoke to a few good engine builders (vt/mustang magic/jdm) and they all said that everything in the motor is strong except for the pistons. Can anyone shed some light and tell me if this is a good path to take?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
You are nearly 100rwhp over the safe power for the stock pistons. ARP bolts in your rods are the weakest/cheapest ones they sell. The rods in the stock shortblock were tested to a MAX of 800 FLYWHEEL hp in an old N/A 350 chevy block, no where near the stress our motor puts on them.

If you want it to live, build it right. www.modularperformance.com, John Tymensky is who you want to call.

Super Terminator Short Block for those with S/C Cobras that want to step it up. This tested short block features the following components: Diamond Pistons/pins that are coated on the skirts for reduced friction and a ceramic coating on top to keep the heat away, stainless steel ring set, Oliver billet I beams w/ 7/16 ARP/AWS bolts, Federal Mogul HP series bearings, New Cobra crankshaft, New REP Cast Iron Block, ARP Main and Head studs and Felpro head gaskets. This shortblock comes balanced and assembled.

Call us today at (248)374-9109 to get yours on order.

boost12

Established Member
postban said:
You are nearly 100rwhp over the safe power for the stock pistons. ARP bolts in your rods are the weakest/cheapest ones they sell. The rods in the stock shortblock were tested to a MAX of 800 FLYWHEEL hp in an old N/A 350 chevy block, no where near the stress our motor puts on them.

If you want it to live, build it right. www.modularperformance.com, John Tymensky is who you want to call.

Super Terminator Short Block for those with S/C Cobras that want to step it up. This tested short block features the following components: Diamond Pistons/pins that are coated on the skirts for reduced friction and a ceramic coating on top to keep the heat away, stainless steel ring set, Oliver billet I beams w/ 7/16 ARP/AWS bolts, Federal Mogul HP series bearings, New Cobra crankshaft, New REP Cast Iron Block, ARP Main and Head studs and Felpro head gaskets. This shortblock comes balanced and assembled.

Call us today at (248)374-9109 to get yours on order.

What is a ballpark price for a built short block ?? Im looking to get one also.. what HP is that block good for your talking about???

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
postban's idea is definately the best i feel. I have talked with Ken at MD about doing the same thing here around the start of the year. Its probably the best route to go in my opinion as well.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
boost12 said:
What is a ballpark price for a built short block ?? Im looking to get one also.. what HP is that block good for your talking about???

no ballpark about it $4899

Considering the plug-n-play nature of a complete balanced and tested shortblock AND what you can sell your stock shortblock for, dirtcheap for bulletproof.

HP limit .......... Pistons 1200, rods/bolts 1200, crank 1500, block 1500+

Users who are viewing this thread