Thinking About Doing a Double Major

coolguy10786

Established Member
Right now I have about a year left until I finish my MET degree at EWU. It looks like that if I stay for additional 2-2.5 years(depending on if i take summer classes) I would be able to pick up an EE degree too.

My question is what kind of jobs would this open up for me? Would it be worth it over just getting the MET? So far I'm pretty set on doing it, but would like some opinions of those who have done it and/or work in the field.

Thanks!

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
I am not sure what's an MET but I double majored in EE/CE. I graduated last may and started working in June as a CE(testing) for 57k a year, now a year later I make a little over 60k.

your milleage may vary depending on location and experience, I had 18 months of work experience upon graduation.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Wow, that's it for a double major? My friends are all graduating with a single in ME and making around 60k starting. Doesn't look worth it to me...:shrug:

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
Wow, that's it for a double major? My friends are all graduating with a single in ME and making around 60k starting. Doesn't look worth it to me...:shrug:
It depends on a lot of things, some geographical locations have more jobs and more demand. One of the keys is that with a double major you qualify for a much bigger variety of jobs.

I agree the salary is nothing to brag about.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Right now I have about a year left until I finish my MET degree at EWU. It looks like that if I stay for additional 2-2.5 years(depending on if i take summer classes) I would be able to pick up an EE degree too.

My question is what kind of jobs would this open up for me? Would it be worth it over just getting the MET? So far I'm pretty set on doing it, but would like some opinions of those who have done it and/or work in the field.

Thanks!
MET as in Meteorology?

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
MET is a completely different degree than a full blown Engineering degree. We have Technologists, utilizing their Engineering Technology degrees who work within our group. While they have great jobs and do a lot of enjoyable hard work, they are aids to the engineers in the group who run the projects.

An Engineering degree such as EE, CE, ME, the other CE and other traditional Engineering degrees are a lot more rigorous than the technology degrees in terms of math and theory.

In the end the traditional degrees get paid more and have more room to grow.

coolguy10786

Established Member
Yes MET is mechanical engineering technology.

Thats the one thing I don't like is that our school doesn't offer a ME major, just MET. I know that the MET degree is not much by itself since most the classes aren't too bad. We don't use much calc, except in the physics classes.

My math is pretty strong and i have to go back and take calc 3 and 4, but not worried.

I'm just trying to figure out if the extra 2 years of school would be worth it. I would love to have an actual engineering degree too.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Well i had thought about that, but I only have one year left with just the MET, and i have good job here, boxing team is here, among other stuff.

But in 20 years that "good job" "Boxing team" and "other stuff" won't matter... the 50% more pay will.

If you enjoy ME, find a school that offers it nearby. There's a reason not every school offers it, it's a very rigorous course. Calc 3 and 4 are the beginning. If it's an ABET accredited school, you will have a course on linear, a course on differential equations, an introductory/full blown course on partial, and at least one more course on computer based computations with either Matlab, Maple or a similar program. Then all of your classes Junior/Senior year will utilize that math, so they are chock full of higher level Calc.

I say go for it if you enjoy it. 3 more years of Engineering education now will pay off 5-10-20 years from now.

coolguy10786

Established Member
I hear what you are saying. The MET and EE are both ABET credited and you need calc 4, dif eq, linear alg, and one other math course.

The main difference for me will be that the EE classes will use the calc and so far the MET classes don't use much. I may just get the EE and MET and then i can always come back and get the ME later.

Users who are viewing this thread