• Yes

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 90.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2_1337

Banned
It's a 1999 Toyota Camry Le Gold edition with power seats, sunroof, allow wheels, and many other upgrades. It runs/shifts flawlessly and never seems to have any problems starting up. The body is in perfect shape (not even a scratch) and the interior is pretty good other than a few minor stains. The only thing that scares me about this car is the considerable amount of mileage (263k highway miles, seller had to commute for work) this car still retains a very high book of 6,900 even with the high mileage. The only reason I would buy this is to to keep around and have something to drive for a couple of months until I find a nicer vehicle. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it weren't for the miles because I think this would make it too hard to resell...so I was wondering if you think I should buy it, and if you would ever consider buying a car with over 250k on it?

The seller is asking 3,500 obo!

Thanks!

red9450

Established Member
yea, thats alot of mileage even for a camry, and the price seems high

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
Do a compression and oil pressure test and have tranny checked by a good shop. If it's all good I'd go for it.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
$3500 seems way to high, $6900 for that mileage or even a 99 with 150k for $6900 is laughable at best.

Oh Oh !~!~!~! TOYOTA..........

tistan

Established Member
I would buy it. My mom had a 92 corrola she put 280k on it. It never had a problem untill someone hit it and totaled it out.

2_1337

Banned
idk the mileage is high and the 6.9k is what it books for i could probably get him down to 3k so that seems alright

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
If you like it and wont mind putting a little money in it from time to time then yes you should buy it.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Personally, I wouldn't, especially a front wheel drive unit body car, Toyota or not. That is really high mileage.

Klay

Established Member
I am with the majority on this one, I wouldn't buy a car with that many miles on it. It doesn't matter who makes it, at that many miles in such a relatively short amount of time, stuff is bound to break.

Common

Established Member
2_1337 said:
It's a 1999 Toyota Camry Le Gold edition with power seats, sunroof, allow wheels, and many other upgrades. It runs/shifts flawlessly and never seems to have any problems starting up. The body is in perfect shape (not even a scratch) and the interior is pretty good other than a few minor stains. The only thing that scares me about this car is the considerable amount of mileage (263k highway miles, seller had to commute for work) this car still retains a very high book of 6,900 even with the high mileage. The only reason I would buy this is to to keep around and have something to drive for a couple of months until I find a nicer vehicle. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it weren't for the miles because I think this would make it too hard to resell...so I was wondering if you think I should buy it, and if you would ever consider buying a car with over 250k on it?

The seller is asking 3,500 obo!

Thanks!

I_detect_fail.jpg

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Any other car besides a Toyota/Honda I would say no. This car better have good records. I used to be affraid of cars with very high miles until I got one. I have a 95 Accord that is about to turn 300,000 miles. This car goes anywhere. I took 3 other people on a 400 mile trip a few weeks ago. Aside from tires, brakes, tune up and crap like that in the last 100,000 miles I have replaced a water pump, timing belt, idler pulley belt, one drive axle, a battery, lower ball joints, and the exhaust after the cat. That is it. Everything under the hood is orignal the trans is original also, the A/C is still ice cold and has never even needed charged. I beat the shit out of this car everyday and run down the highway at 85mph smoothly.

I wouldn't pay 3500 for the Toyota though, 2900 maybe. But you can get an older Accord with miles in the 100,000-150,000 range for 2900. I would do that instead.

Last edited:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Mechanically, I'd put my money on a Crown Victoria with high mileage before I would a car like that...and not a Interceptor that's been beat on. Find one that's been taken good care of and that car will last for years. Its not uncommon for one to go to 200-300k miles before even having something break. They are built for maximum longevity with good care...and its a Ford with body on frame, solid V8 and rear wheel drive.

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
Hey bro well first of all I am a service advisor at a toyota dealership. That is way toomuch mileage for the engine and for the money. I see those cars here with under 200k and alot of oil leaks and suspension bushing noises. Go with something with less mileage. just my opinion

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Traveler said:
Mechanically, I'd put my money on a Crown Victoria with high mileage before I would a car like that...and not a Interceptor that's been beat on. Find one that's been taken good care of and that car will last for years. Its not uncommon for one to go to 200-300k miles before even having something break. They are built for maximum longevity with good care...and its a Ford with body on frame, solid V8 and rear wheel drive.

I would disagree after having two of these cars in the family. Though still very reliable for an american car.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
I voted no also.

The price(around 3k) isn't bad but you need to rememeber....a car, no matter the make, at that mileage is going to start having several normal wear issues. You'll end up starting to replace your normal wear items pretty frequently with those miles. I.E. water pumps, alternators, battery, belts, ball joints etc. etc.

So if you do buy, expect to have alot of maintenance costs in the near future.

ByteMe

Established Member
Just like the previous poster said. If the compression checks and the transmission checks, then go for it assuming you can get it for $3000. THe worst thing that can happen is that you loose an engine or tranny. If that happens, sell it for $1000 for parts and youre only out $2000 and you got a lot of use (hopefully) out of it. If you only have $3000 to spend, its going to have a lot of miles on it. In that budget, the only better option would be a small jap pickup. Those resell very easily and there are plenty around in the $3000 range. Good Luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread