thinking about buying a lightning, have some questions

marksar

Established Member
Hey guys hows it going? Ive had my fair share of GTs and Cobras but now I think I want to try out a Lightning. My question is: As far as the drivetrain is concerned what changes were made from 99-04? Were there any years that seemed to have more problems than other, or did they virtually remain unchanged throughout thier production? I really like the look of the 03-04 better but my wallet is liking a lower milage 99-02. Well thanks for any help and feel free to throw any other information you think may be helpful in deciding on what to pick out there. :rockon:

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
Most 03s and all 04s had the eight thread heads instead of the 4 thread. 99-00 have about 20 less hp due to a smaller MAF and tune etc and also had recalls for intercoolers leaking. The recall is not covered anymore and it can be an expensive job. Im my opinion your best bet is to get an 03/04. There are a few other differences and Im sure others will chime in

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
from 99-2000, you get 3.55 gears & a 80mm maf. From 01-04 you get 3.73's & a 90mm maf. I think I read somewhere that Ford also added an aluminum driveshaft in 01, but I'm not sure about that. In 01?, Ford added a couple threads to the spark plug holes in the heads to prevent plug blowout. The blower from 01+ has a different bolt pattern than the 99/00 models, but the blower itself is the same unit. The 99/00 intake manifold supposedly has a bolt hole that is slightly obtrusive... it doesn't seem to be a hp issue though. 01+ had a more efficient intercooler, but any 99/00 SHOULD have the Ford intercooler recall performed by now, therefore putting the 01+ intercooler in there.

as far as drivetrain goes, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

marksar

Established Member
Thanks for all the info, how 'common' is the spark plug blow out on the earlier models? Is it nothing to worry about on a stock motor or did those have issues with it as well if it was driven hard enough?

LSUstang05

Established Member
It's not super common on a lightly modded truck, but it starts to become a problem whenever you start extensively modifying the truck. 99-00 should have the intercooler recall done already and if it hasn't been done, don't buy the truck. Also, it's going to be hard to find a 99-00 that hasn't been modded a bit and if it is, it will most likely have an upgraded MAF and tune. The only reason the 01-04 trucks made more power was due to the smaller MAF and less aggressive tune. 99-00 also had the headlights that all other F150's had as well as the same 3rd brake light all normal f150's had. 99's didn't have color matched mirrors, either. 99-00 trucks had 3.55 rear gears and 01-04 trucks had 3.73 rear gears. 99-00 had a steel driveshaft (3"?) and 01+ had an aluminum driveshaft (5"?). Wheels changed every 2 years, also.

04darkL

Dark Lightning
Established Member
they changed the rims and the grill on the 03/04 which made it better for me to leave stock. they also raise it 1 inch higher on the 03/04 for more tolling capacity. the tailights on the 03/04 are euros which gave it a new stock featured. i got a set of 01 red tail lights if any1 need some. of all the other colors other than silver is the same but silver has a metallic in it which they should of done black with a metallic.

Last edited:

Stewie 03

Established Member
they changed the rims and the grill on the 03/04 which made it better for me to leave stock. they also raise it 1 inch higher on the 03/04 for more tolling capacity. the tailights on the 03/04 are euros which gave it a new stock featured. i got a set of 01 red tail lights if any1 need some. of all the other colors other than silver is the same but silver has a metallic in it which they should of done black with a metallic.

FYI - The color that has the metal flake in it is dark shadow grey or DSG for short. Simply put, silver is silver.

04darkL

Dark Lightning
Established Member
FYI - it is silver here is my proof
2dqjde8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread